• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs and Heaney

If we have any chance a making a run, these guys need to step up their game and pitch like solid mid rotation guys and maybe even a bit better.  

Not expecting ace level production, but an era in the mid to high 3's with some actual innings.  They've gotta start being guys who can give you 7 innings and save the pen but without that extra couple of runs that brings them down.  

Heaney had a run of 17 starts with a 3.11 era in 107 ip last year

Skaggs had a run of 15 starts with a 2.31 era in 89 ip last year until he got injured.  

Something similar to that would be outstanding and it's clear they are capable of it.  

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The ONLY thing holding both back is getting hurt a lot.      Granted, Heaney did get to 180 innings in 2018 with solid results.    Wish Skaggs could get to that total.

Big start today will give us more info.

This team's situation looks a lot less dire if those two step up. Suddenly you have those two pitching well, Canning and Suarez making starts, and Pena filling in as the 5th arm. Trop and Barria may contribute at some point, theoretically one day Ramirez will pitch again...Spend some money on a starter in the off season (and maybe get a cheaper, solid middle of the rotation guy), and next year doesn't look terrible either.

I think the unfortunate part is that this is what we've been waiting for from both of them for a while.  Heaney has delivered for the most part, when he wasn't injured.  And when Skaggs isn't injured, well, we never really know what we're going to get from him.  Ace or 5th starter.

I think for me, with Skaggs it has become crap or get off the pot time. 

12 minutes ago, Torridd said:

This makes me think of Richards. Do you think the Angels would have re-signed  him if he were healthy? I think Richards is better than either of them.

Richards got a ton from SD for what will amount to 1yr of potentially being on the mound.  It was reported that the Angels did try to retain him even with the injury but the price tag was just too high.  

I think we all love GR's stuff but the fact that he couldn't stay healthy wore most of us out.  He also never had that ace level mound presence to go with his ace level stuff.  But I would have taken him back if he were healthy for sure.  

24 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Gone are the days where you just had a simple 5-man rotation with a designated ace and everyone got their 25-32 starts in with no openers required. Wtf happened to this great game. They’ve really made the game more complicated than it should be. 

Hitters became better than ever. Pitchers, too, but the more pitchers ramp it up the greater the risk of elbow injuries. Teams are smart enough to know that tradition doesn’t win ball games - innovation does. Personally, I’d rather go with the new way than lose 100 games a year playing the traditional style while getting lapped by every other team. 

59 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Richards got a ton from SD for what will amount to 1yr of potentially being on the mound.  It was reported that the Angels did try to retain him even with the injury but the price tag was just too high.  

I think we all love GR's stuff but the fact that he couldn't stay healthy wore most of us out.  He also never had that ace level mound presence to go with his ace level stuff.  But I would have taken him back if he were healthy for sure.  

Bingo Doc! that is Richards!

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I think the unfortunate part is that this is what we've been waiting for from both of them for a while.  Heaney has delivered for the most part, when he wasn't injured.  And when Skaggs isn't injured, well, we never really know what we're going to get from him.  Ace or 5th starter.

I think for me, with Skaggs it has become crap or get off the pot time. 

I look at it with Skaggs as more either a #2 or #4 starter.   He has had a very limited number of ace quality starts, but also a lot of #2 quality starts and #4 quality starts (not that mediocre and not that great).   I'm perfectly happy with that (#3 on average), if he would stop getting hurt so much.

24 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I look at it with Skaggs as more either a #2 or #4 starter.   He has had a very limited number of ace quality starts, but also a lot of #2 quality starts and #4 quality starts (not that mediocre and not that great).   I'm perfectly happy with that (#3 on average), if he would stop getting hurt so much.

Yeah, and I understand where you're coming from there. But I sort of feel like Skaggs' value on the trade market exceeds his actual value to the team. We have a lot of pitching depth and his like Suarez and Sandoval will eventually require an opportunity more than anything. If Skaggs is still here, he blocks that from happening. 

So while he is a #3 starter, I feel the prospect he's worth in return and the open spot in the rotation being filled by Suarez is worth more than Skaggs performance alone. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Yeah, and I understand where you're coming from there. But I sort of feel like Skaggs' value on the trade market exceeds his actual value to the team. We have a lot of pitching depth and his like Suarez and Sandoval will eventually require an opportunity more than anything. If Skaggs is still here, he blocks that from happening. 

So while he is a #3 starter, I feel the prospect he's worth in return and the open spot in the rotation being filled by Suarez is worth more than Skaggs performance alone. 

There's definitely truth in that, as a team should not have four lefties in their rotation.   It won't be an issue until after this season, as Sandoval figures to not debut until ST 2020. 

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If we have any chance a making a run, these guys need to step up their game and pitch like solid mid rotation guys and maybe even a bit better.  

Not expecting ace level production, but an era in the mid to high 3's with some actual innings.  They've gotta start being guys who can give you 7 innings and save the pen but without that extra couple of runs that brings them down.  

Heaney had a run of 17 starts with a 3.11 era in 107 ip last year

Skaggs had a run of 15 starts with a 2.31 era in 89 ip last year until he got injured.  

Something similar to that would be outstanding and it's clear they are capable of it.  

Unfortunately, I dont think they are much better than what they have already shown. I think they will be inconsistent at best marked by strings of 3-4 good outings and 3-4 bad ones. I hope I am wrong but dont think so.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Nice job Tyler.  Way to do the complete opposite of what this team needed tonight.  Not only did you give up 6 runs, but you pitched 4.1 innings on a night that the pen needed a break.  

Pretty tired of this guy.  

Yeah I’ve had about enough of him.. time to move on to somebody that is at least semi reliable and isn’t a china doll.