• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread:Angels @ Mariners 6/2/2019 (No Kole) 1:10 Start

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

For any of the 'old timers' around here, were balls crushed towards infielders commonly called errors back in the 60's-70's? 

We have no idea, those games weren’t always on TV.  Oh and I don’t remember the 60-70’s, well I remember 79.  But isn’t he 80’s games weren’t on TV everyday unless you watched the Cubs and Braves.  

Balls crushed towards infielders in the 70’s and 80’s were usually fielded cleanly since infielders then were selected based on their ability to field. And since that was the case there were fewer players crushing balls towards infielders to begin with. I’d venture to say that the majority of middle infielders that the Angels employed in the 70’s and 80’s would struggle to get more than a cup of coffee in the majors now

4 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:

Exactly! it hits your glove while on your feet and you drop it, its an error. 60's, 70's 80's it does not matter. 

So you're the one scoring the games! I just don't understand how you can see a ball hit 106 mph off the bat and say, of the 3 players involved in the play, that the third basemen deflecting the ball off his glove was the player most responsible for the result.

8 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

So you're the one scoring the games! I just don't understand how you can see a ball hit 106 mph off the bat and say, of the 3 players involved in the play, that the third basemen deflecting the ball off his glove was the player most responsible for the result.

That is how I see it. if Seager caught it would that have made MLB premier plays of the day? hell no! you get your glove on it, while on your feet, you catch it. scoring isn't that hard

10 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

That is how I see it. if Seager caught it would that have made MLB premier plays of the day? hell no! you get your glove on it, while on your feet, you catch it. scoring isn't that hard

I guarantee they would've showed a replay! Not making the top 10-20 plays of the night doesn't make a play an error. Meanwhile the centerfielder loses the ball in the sun and Albert gets a double. Results like this are part of the reason teams don't look at ERA anymore and fielding percentage has long gone out the window.

At the very least, they need to start including 'reached on error' in on base percentage and war. It's not random that the same guys always seem to be near the top of their team in that stat.

29 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

A ball that hits a major leaguer right in the glove should be caught. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

A ball that hits a major leaguer right in the glove should be caught. 

I disagree. If he had just ducked instead of putting his hands up you would have no problem calling it a hit. Not making a play thats only made 35% of the time isn't an error.

• Chuck locked this topic