• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When Ohtani arrives...

Torridd

I mean.....rate wise, it's the equivalent of adding a Bryce Harper level bat to the lineup, so that's going to be pretty effective.  Then there's the fact that Mike Trout leads the majors in walks by a fair amount and that's really because the guy hitting behind him (Andrelton Simmons mostly) just isn't that dangerous of a hitter.  So you put a dangerous hitter behind Trout and suddenly walking Trout isn't a carefree decision.  And then there's lineup balance to consider.  Putting a dangerous lefty behind Trout forces a manager to consider who he uses late in games. 

Then there's the fact that based on their barrel rate and contact rate, the Angels offense has been pretty unlucky so far.  They should be scoring more runs.  We can expect that to normalize at any moment unless the hitters take a nose dive. 

So yes, I believe the Angels offense will improve with Ohtani's presence. 

34 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is the unlucky hitting mainly due to hitting into the shifts?

I know there have been at least 3 games this year where I saw the Angels absolutely crush the ball over and over again and the opposing defense pulled off some great plays - shifting was a factor no doubt, but I think some of it was just plain luck. Game of inches. 

Functionally speaking, its clear he assumes his role as primary DH.  Our current primary DH has given us a 227/341/728 line with 3 HR and a 0.1 WAR to date.

Now, before any of you go getting too excited, it likely mean more Pujols at 1B considering our current 1B has given us a 188/319/610 line with 2 bombs and a -0.1 WAR.

That having been said Bour has done much better vs LH so a platoon is the logical answer.

None of them are going anywhere though, it will just be more reliever munching

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Probably a reliever.

The Angels have 3 off days in a span of 8 days coming up, so that should ease some of the workload on the pitching staff and allow them to go with one less reliever. I haven’t counted the days but it’s possible they could also go with 4 starters and 8 relievers for a turn. Now they have 5 and 8.