• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

My main issue with the WAR stat...(Trout)

I understands there are a couple different ways to calculate the formula, but I think it lacks the ability to calculate precise individual performances. My example in this case would be Trout. Here we are, not 10 games into our season and last night and today he single handedly is responsible for carrying the offense to a victory. His WAR should already be over two. The rest of the lineup is filled with various replacement level players, but without Trout in the lineup, the Angels have at least two less wins, they might even be winless on the season. 

Is it possible that the one stat commonly used to illustrate just how superior of a player Trout is, is actually undervaluing him?

WAR is an individual player stat, so your argument doesn't really make sense in this regard.  It isn't meant to take into account how good or bad of a team that player is on.  

It's like asking if Trout's batting average is more valuable on the Angels because the rest of the lineup is so awful; it's just numbers put into a formula.  It's independent of team performance.

26 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I understands there are a couple different ways to calculate the formula, but I think it lacks the ability to calculate precise individual performances. My example in this case would be Trout. Here we are, not 10 games into our season and last night and today he single handedly is responsible for carrying the offense to a victory. His WAR should already be over two. The rest of the lineup is filled with various replacement level players, but without Trout in the lineup, the Angels have at least two less wins, they might even be winless on the season. 

Is it possible that the one stat commonly used to illustrate just how superior of a player Trout is, is actually undervaluing him?

you're describing a different stat other than WAR.  

also, if you give credit for when he's responsible for a win, you have to give negative credit for when he's not.  

wins are not WAR

Bill James ran a simulation in his revised Historical Abstract in which he took peak Babe Ruth and put him in a lineup with 8 deadbeats and had a season where he was pitched to and a season in which he was intentionally walked every single time. The team where Ruth was walked every single time scored more runs. It's just rarely a good percentage play to intentionally walk someone even if Trout's hitting ahead of someone who's scuffling. He'll STILL draw intentional walks anyways but managers aren't operating on the same default that they were 15-20 years ago.

43 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

There's no perfect stat, but I can't figure out why Trout's not getting the Bonds treatment considering the guys flailing behind him are putting up a combined .402 OPS so far.

He is being walked and HBP every series. He is definitely getting the Bonds treatment. 

9 hours ago, jessecrall said:

Bill James ran a simulation in his revised Historical Abstract in which he took peak Babe Ruth and put him in a lineup with 8 deadbeats and had a season where he was pitched to and a season in which he was intentionally walked every single time. The team where Ruth was walked every single time scored more runs. It's just rarely a good percentage play to intentionally walk someone even if Trout's hitting ahead of someone who's scuffling. He'll STILL draw intentional walks anyways but managers aren't operating on the same default that they were 15-20 years ago.

Bill James needs to get laid 

12 hours ago, jessecrall said:

revenge of the nerds GIF

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

^Don't bag on Bonds. Dude was a total beast - the most dominant hitter I've ever seen (at least in 2001-04) and it isn't particularly close. Roids or no roids.

His head was a lot bigger than a normal human so he could see the ball coming out the pitcher's hand much better. Dude was a physical freak and chemicals had a significant part of that. The Man With The Enormous Head.

But all joking aside, I don't think roids produced his amazing hand/eye coordination or bat speed. Maybe a doctor can weigh in on that. In those years anything in the hitting zone he routinely sent out of the park, and it quickly got out.