• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Press Conference

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Hmmm....

Basically if Dipoto stayed, trout wouldnt...

... one man saved us from that..

CUJgio1VAAEJFNg.jpg

Yup.

The praise from Mike totally came across like he was saying he could see how much better things had become after Billy came on board.  

Today was a good day.

A buddy of mine w the org ran into dipoto last off season, just before ohtani signed. He said jerry was absolute "hes gonna be a mariner, its already done."

Ran into him again at an event, after ohtani signed. Said dipoto wouldnt even talk about it.

Trout and ohtani... likely wouldnt be here if jerry stayed...

3 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

Trout calling the Anaheim 'home' is gonna cause a lot of Phillies Trout jerseys to go up in flames.

They could go the philanthropic route and send those jerseys to a third-world country, where they'd be among the Dodgers' world championship shirts from the last two years.

I can't believe how lucky we are as fans right now.  

This franchise was truly circling the drain 3 years ago.  They were essentially forcing Trout to leave when he didn't want to.  

To turn things around into a positive direction in such a short period is incredible.  

Eppler's ability to cultivate relationships landed Ohtani and allowed us to keep the best player in baseball for his entire career.  If Eppler isn't brought in and doesn't do his thing, we are looking at a baseball wasteland for the next ten years.  

@Jeff Fletcher terrific article and great call on holding back until after the press conference with that info despite the misguided advice of AW.  You probably scored a ton of points with the Angels media department for not stealing their thunder and it was actually a great adjunct to the media event as it provided interesting detail to what we heard.  

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Interesting comment: I'll paraphrase, "thinking about leaving in two years, and talking to people about if I were to leave, maybe I might end up regretting it a little"

I wonder if 'people' refers to Pujols.

absolutely the first thing I thought of and Mike seemed to dance a little bit when there was opportunity to mention Albert by name.  I think Albert regrets leaving St. Louis, but for all his faults, he's been a really good mentor to Mike and a lot of other guys on this team.  

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Interesting comment: I'll paraphrase, "thinking about leaving in two years, and talking to people about if I were to leave, maybe I might end up regretting it a little"

I wonder if 'people' refers to Pujols.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

I believe that 100%

Hunter and Weaver could have been a factor too, if even indirectly. 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

A buddy of mine w the org ran into dipoto last off season, just before ohtani signed. He said jerry was absolute "hes gonna be a mariner, its already done."

Ran into him again at an event, after ohtani signed. Said dipoto wouldnt even talk about it.

Trout and ohtani... likely wouldnt be here if jerry stayed...

I heard something similar.  A lot of the underlings that come and go into organizations absolutely revere Dipoto.  He's so smart, and calculated and confident.  And then you hear from folks that have been around the game for a while.  The salty ones can't stand the guy.  I've heard "prick" and "kiss-ass" connected with him.  The ones that have bounced around a little bit from organization to organization get a chance to know a lot of different front office execs, and it's actually funny the way everyone else sees him.  He's kind of a joke among the GM's, which as I understand are a tight-knit group because of how frequently they talk.  They don't hate him or anything, but he's like their own little village idiot.  

And Brodie Van Wagonen was the best thing that could've happened to Dipoto this offseason.  A GM coming along that's more of a negotiator, and is equally as arrogant.  He's got money to spend to make the Mets into a winner and he thinks he's just taken a middle of the order hitter and elite closer off of Jerry's hands for a couple of low level prospects.  In the meanwhile, Jerry thinks he just found someone dumb enough to take a metric ton of money off his hands and gave him a nice prospect to boot.

Two equally arrogant blow-hards going toe to toe.  It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in the long run. 

The Yankees getting Paxton for Sheffield was just Cashman fleecing Dipoto.  The Yanks weren't interested in keeping Sheffield around for two winters now.  They were just looking for the right opportunity to come up and getting Paxton met their need.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I can't believe how lucky we are as fans right now.  

This franchise was truly circling the drain 3 years ago.  They were essentially forcing Trout to leave when he didn't want to.  

To turn things around into a positive direction in such a short period is incredible.  

Eppler's ability to cultivate relationships landed Ohtani and allowed us to keep the best player in baseball for his entire career.  If Eppler isn't brought in and doesn't do his thing, we are looking at a baseball wasteland for the next ten years.  

@Jeff Fletcher terrific article and great call on holding back until after the press conference with that info despite the misguided advice of AW.  You probably scored a ton of points with the Angels media department for not stealing their thunder and it was actually a great adjunct to the media event as it provided interesting detail to what we heard.  

Oh I didn’t hold it back.

I had hoped we’d get to talk to Trout in Arizona a few days ago. If you’d read this story 3 days ago I don’t think anyone’s enthusiasm for today’s ... rally... would have been any less. 

Alas, the Angels didn’t want us to talk to him before today. But we did get a few private minutes away from the cameras this afternoon, and I think Trout was much more open that he was during the ... rally.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I heard something similar.  A lot of the underlings that come and go into organizations absolutely revere Dipoto.  He's so smart, and calculated and confident.  And then you hear from folks that have been around the game for a while.  The salty ones can't stand the guy.  I've heard "prick" and "kiss-ass" connected with him.  The ones that have bounced around a little bit from organization to organization get a chance to know a lot of different front office execs, and it's actually funny the way everyone else sees him.  He's kind of a joke among the GM's, which as I understand are a tight-knit group because of how frequently they talk.  They don't hate him or anything, but he's like their own little village idiot.  

And Brodie Van Wagonen was the best thing that could've happened to Dipoto this offseason.  A GM coming along that's more of a negotiator, and is equally as arrogant.  He's got money to spend to make the Mets into a winner and he thinks he's just taken a middle of the order hitter and elite closer off of Jerry's hands for a couple of low level prospects.  In the meanwhile, Jerry thinks he just found someone dumb enough to take a metric ton of money off his hands and gave him a nice prospect to boot.

Two equally arrogant blow-hards going toe to toe.  It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in the long run. 

The Yankees getting Paxton for Sheffield was just Cashman fleecing Dipoto.  The Yanks weren't interested in keeping Sheffield around for two winters now.  They were just looking for the right opportunity to come up and getting Paxton met their need.

if you allocate all of the prospects in the Cano deal to Diaz, the got Edwin for less than if they traded for him alone.  Cano was owed 5/120 and the m's gave up 20m in cash so 5/100.  Bruce is probably not even a replacement player and owed 29m so that drops Cano to 5/71.  plus Swarzak who is already on the IR and he's owed 8.5 mil.  So that drops Cano to 5/62.5.  No one would pay that for a 36yo Cano right now but the offset is Diaz.   Still though, that deal made sense for both teams even if it doesn't work out for one of them.   

2 hours ago, mpcincal said:

They could go the philanthropic route and send those jerseys to a third-world country, where they'd be among the Dodgers' world championship shirts from the last two years.

Thats how lucky we are in america. Some people out there are stuck living in countries where people are starving. No food, no choking on food.

So we send them kershaw jerseys, so that they can experience it, too

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Reference the top paragraph. I had beers w a buddy whos in Seattles org a few weeks ago. Hes mentioned it before, did so again. The old timers there hate dipoto.

To be fair, a lot of us were on his side (myself included). So its easy to dismiss old men (my friend is still in his 30s) as being simply outdated. Bitter because their views are so obsolete. 

That said... looking at what he did here, and whats happened in seattle, its clear you arent seeing some young prodigy changing the world. Youre seeing a guy who thinks hes smarter than everyone else, and who holds the keys to go forward with his plan regardless of anyone else warning him not to.

I hope he gets a trout extension in Seattle. 

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

... and great call on holding back until after the press conference with that info despite the misguided advice of AW. 

That statement is so out of touch with reality.  Fans showed up for the press conference to celebrate and show their appreciation for Mike.  That was the main reason, plain and simple.

One of the things not being talked about that Roger Lodge told his audience yesterday was that Mike told his agent that he didn't want to leave the kids at CHOC.  He put himself in the shoes of the kids that have seen their favorite players leave and he didn't want to do that to them.  He remembers being a kid...

Mike is such a rare breed.  We are truly blessed to have him. 

I've been to a lot of press conferences over the years and yesterday's was one I will never forget. 

I loved Billy Eppler's comment that if the house next to his were to become available, he'd want Mike and Jess to move in.

Roger Lodge spoke to Gubi and Gubi said that when Mike came to the Fox stage for an interview he got "goose bumps" and that never happens to him...

It was a special day and a celebration of a very special athlete. 

I also love the relationship that he has with his teammates. I loved how he commented that "they keep me humble."  In this day and age when athletes are so concerned about building their own personal brand and "getting theirs" - it's so freakin' refreshing to have a player like Mike Trout Stand apart from all that.

This makes me so happy.  We actually pulled the trigger and went to spring training this year instead of talking about how we 'need to' due to the questions surrounding Trout.  I told my 11 year old son that we need to go now because the best player in baseball may not be an Angel much longer.  When the news broke about him signing the extension my son was pumped.  "So, we can go watch him in spring training for the next 12 years!".  I told him I was on board with that, haha.  Then my 15 year old daughter, who is not a baseball fan said, "So, we didn't need to go this year?  Nice..."