• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols weight

Dtwncbad

One of the things I am watching for is the first glimpse of the 2019 version of Albert Pujols.

I, like everyone else, am not convinced that simply from being in shape he will stay healthy and produce.

But the dude had better show up lean and mean.

The only only only way I am going to be polite about the Pujols situation is if he is clearly, obviously in EXCELLENT physical shape to the point of it being obvious and impossible to ignore.

That part is in his control.  If he still stinks then it is what it is, simply age getting him.  I can deal with that.

If I see Phat Albert, I am not going to be nice.

The problem is his knees, not his stomach.  Yes of course lower weight makes that easier, trust me i know i have no knees left and a passion for pasta, but even if he comes in svelte, the knees just arent going to last even as a DH.   Last season proved that i think.  Its the biggest reason i think this will be his last year, the man simply has lost too much mobility in a time when he needs it the most as he must be able to play 1B.   He will get thru a month or two with the help of the DH before Ohtani's return, but by the all star break i expect an announcement.

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

The problem is his knees, not his stomach.  Yes of course lower weight makes that easier, trust me i know i have no knees left and a passion for pasta, but even if he comes in svelte, the knees just arent going to last even as a DH.   Last season proved that i think.  Its the biggest reason i think this will be his last year, the man simply has lost too much mobility in a time when he needs it the most as he must be able to play 1B.   He will get thru a month or two with the help of the DH before Ohtani's return, but by the all star break i expect an announcement.

Do I really have to explain why carrying extra weight makes his knee problems worse?

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Do I really have to explain why carrying extra weight makes his knee problems worse?

To me?  no, as i noted in the next sentence.  The point is that even if he comes in in "the best shape of his life", hes still not a small guy, the knees are still going to fail him sooner or later.   My bet is on the sooner.  They will hold up long enough for Ohtani to make it back, but past that will be gravy.  It wouldnt really surprise me if thats the plan in the background.  

Most bogus Pujols retirement theory:

• He will retire when his batting average is about to go under .300
  • He will retire after the St. Louis trip
  • He will retire when he feels he can't contribute at a high level any more

Actual Pujols retirement theory:

He will retire when his contract runs out, and not one other major league team will pay him one more dollar to play baseball.

Well, because of surgery, he probably hasn't been as mobile this offseason as past ones, and he is another year older.  So I think you can expect him to probably be a little heavier than last year.  He's never been overweight, but he might be a bit stockier.

But really, that doesn't matter.  What matters is if he'll hit the ball, and I don't think anyone thinks he will with any sort of consistency. 

I think he will suck either way.

I am hoping he is truly in shape so I can just be annoyed that he sucks instead of being ticked off at him for being out of shape and making it worse.

At least if he is in shape and he stinks we have a shot at both Albert and the Angels admitting there is no solution.

If he is 30 lb overweight and sucks I don't want ANOTHER cycle of "let's get him healthy and in shape and reassess."

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'm hoping he comes into camp in the worst shape of his life. Perhaps we see a solid season as opposed to his best shape of his life performance last season.

Honestly, the best case scenario is that he gets hurt and misses the entire season. I'm not being mean, it's just the reality of the situation

Pujols being on the team literally neutralizes Trout. That's why the team hasn't had much success despite Trout being a 10 war player every year.

3 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Honestly, the best case scenario is that he gets hurt and misses the entire season. I'm not being mean, it's just the reality of the situation

Pujols being on the team literally neutralizes Trout. That's why the team hasn't had much success despite Trout being a 10 war player every year.

If Albert was a 3 WAR player each of the last three years we would have been tied with the Twins one of those years for the second wild card (2017).  The other years we still don’t sniff the playoffs.