• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols weight

Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Because he can't really compete anymore, and is hurting the team.

“When that time comes, it’s not even going to wait until the offseason,” Pujols said. “If I feel it during the season, I’m gone, dude. The day that I feel like I can’t compete in this game anymore, it doesn’t matter how much money I’m going to leave on the table. I’m done, bro. I’ve been blessed...

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/albert-pujols-will-not-rule-out-retiring-before-contract/458814

I’m going to really go out on a limb (not really) and say Pujols would disagree with your first statement. As to the rest, I’m confident that Pujols wouldn’t have said that if he expected to decline so quickly. But again, I doubt he really thinks he’s declined based on statements he’s made relatively recently as to his ability. As long as he can still hit line drives, he thinks he’s still doing well. 

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:
August 7, 2018 is when the article was published, It's not like he said this just after signing with Angels...

My bad. I seem to remember him saying something similar early on in his contract as well. At any rate, as I noted, as of last year, iirc, he still was talking like he was a key contributor. Scioscia insisting on batting him 4th no doubt contributed to that delusion. 

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

but they're so infrequent...

I need convincing?

12 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

I need convincing?

Maybe if he just wasn't so damn slow he might be able to compete a little better. I remember Altuve playing shallow LF on a shift and throwing him out at 1B. Once Ohtani is cleared to DH Albert probably only plays 1B against LHP. How long do you think he will put up with that?...

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Maybe if he just wasn't so damn slow he might be able to compete a little better. I remember Altuve playing shallow LF on a shift and throwing him out at 1B. Once Ohtani is cleared to DH Albert probably only plays 1B against LHP. How long do you think he will put up with that?...

Based on Ausmus’ comments, too, I genuinely wonder how much Albert will actually play when Ohtani and Bour are healthy. I personally think last year was the end for Albert as an everyday player. Going forward, I expect he’ll be a part time player and pinch hitter until he is inevitably shifted (possibly as soon as sometime this season) to a permanent DL stint for the remainder of his contract. But the question is, does Albert believe that? Will he go quietly into retirement or throw a fuss over it? I guess we’ll see this season. 

On 1/31/2019 at 3:03 PM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Because he can't really compete anymore, and is hurting the team.

“When that time comes, it’s not even going to wait until the offseason,” Pujols said. “If I feel it during the season, I’m gone, dude. The day that I feel like I can’t compete in this game anymore, it doesn’t matter how much money I’m going to leave on the table. I’m done, bro. I’ve been blessed...

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/albert-pujols-will-not-rule-out-retiring-before-contract/458814

He also said this in the same article...

"I think next year is going to be even better," he says, "because now I know I'm able to get back in the gym and know what I need to do to get stronger, especially in my lower half. Because that's the first thing that goes. You talk to any of the players, your lower half is the first thing that goes as you age. And that's the thing that you have to maintain the most. I feel like I still can do this for three more years. And maybe more, who knows?"

Pujols and Hamilton are Arte’s legacies! Albert has been almost a complete waste of 240 million while Hamilton was a conplete waste of 125 million. The 80-90 million that Pujols is still owed is the difference between being a non contender and a perennial challenger. You have the best player of this generation holding up a cripple. The Angels’ future totally depends on Arte and the club’s attournies buying out the remainder of Pujols’ contract. This will be the difference between signing Trout to an extension and pursuing top free agent talent and staying at 75-80 wins every year. 

Just now, TroutTrumbo said:

Pujols and Hamilton are Arte’s legacies! Albert has been almost a complete waste of 240 million while Hamilton was a conplete waste of 125 million. The 80-90 million that Pujols is still owed is the difference between being a non contender and a perennial challenger. You have the best player of this generation holding up a cripple. The Angels’ future totally depends on Arte and the club’s attournies buying out the remainder of Pujols’ contract. This will be the difference between signing Trout to an extension and pursuing top free agent talent and staying at 75-80 wins every year. 

No, it isn’t.  

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He also said this in the same article...

"I think next year is going to be even better," he says, "because now I know I'm able to get back in the gym and know what I need to do to get stronger, especially in my lower half. Because that's the first thing that goes. You talk to any of the players, your lower half is the first thing that goes as you age. And that's the thing that you have to maintain the most. I feel like I still can do this for three more years. And maybe more, who knows?"

We'll see how feels being platooned once Ohtani is back at DH.