• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols weight

Dtwncbad

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Do we have to explain that irreversible damage does not erase itself because of weight loss?

Exactly, the legs are already done, which means he can't get an effective swing often enough.    He needs to approach the team about how to spread out the remaining $59 million after this season, and then the two sides agree on him not playing in 2020-2021 but still collecting that remaining $59 million over whatever timeframe.

Let him have his "retirement" tour in 2019, including St. Louis.   But don't play him for more than half of the 162 games.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

One of the things I am watching for is the first glimpse of the 2019 version of Albert Pujols.

I, like everyone else, am not convinced that simply from being in shape he will stay healthy and produce.

But the dude had better show up lean and mean.

The only only only way I am going to be polite about the Pujols situation is if he is clearly, obviously in EXCELLENT physical shape to the point of it being obvious and impossible to ignore.

That part is in his control.  If he still stinks then it is what it is, simply age getting him.  I can deal with that.

If I see Phat Albert, I am not going to be nice.

If only he could hit his weight...

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

there will be a buy out agreement

He will get all of his money, although the structure may be tweaked....but I think you are correct....it will technically be a buy out...It wouldn't be a surprise if he stayed with the organization in some capacity, since he already has the personal services deal on the back end anyway....

Will Pujols retire this season? No, nor should he. He signed a contract - if the Angels were dumb enough to promise him that much money, why should he give it up? 

On the other hand, will Pujols effectively retire from being an everyday player sometime during or after this season and end up either at most a bench player/late game pinch hitter or on the DL permanently until his contract runs out? That’s conceivable. Ausmus’ comments earlier in the offseason suggest that as a possibility to me. 

Pujols will get some time to prove he can play while ohtani recovers.  Once ohtani is ready to go I trust ausmus to play bour or pujols based on performance.  If pujols rides the pine perhaps his ego pushes him to retire.  Not every vet can be comfortable with a role like Reynolds has thrived with.  

5 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Pujols will get some time to prove he can play while ohtani recovers.  Once ohtani is ready to go I trust ausmus to play bour or pujols based on performance.  If pujols rides the pine perhaps his ego pushes him to retire.  Not every vet can be comfortable with a role like Reynolds has thrived with.  

Pujols to Eppler: "This Ausmus guy not respect me & won't let me play, i am going to retire now"

Eppler to Pujols *while trying sooooo very hard to not smile*: "We are...sorry to hear that...you were...a big part to our team"

5 minutes later after Pujols leaves Arte brings in champagne to celebrate Pujols retirement.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:56 PM, Sean-Regan said:

Will Pujols retire this season? No, nor should he. He signed a contract - if the Angels were dumb enough to promise him that much money, why should he give it up? 

Because he can't really compete anymore, and is hurting the team.

“When that time comes, it’s not even going to wait until the offseason,” Pujols said. “If I feel it during the season, I’m gone, dude. The day that I feel like I can’t compete in this game anymore, it doesn’t matter how much money I’m going to leave on the table. I’m done, bro. I’ve been blessed...

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/albert-pujols-will-not-rule-out-retiring-before-contract/458814

10 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Because he can't really compete anymore, and is hurting the team.

“When that time comes, it’s not even going to wait until the offseason,” Pujols said. “If I feel it during the season, I’m gone, dude. The day that I feel like I can’t compete in this game anymore, it doesn’t matter how much money I’m going to leave on the table. I’m done, bro. I’ve been blessed...

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/albert-pujols-will-not-rule-out-retiring-before-contract/458814

Good thing Pujols is not like Ryan Kesler who plans to play out his contract even though he's been done for half a season now.

The argument that he should leave money on the table and just vanish is so tired.  Anyone on the planet owed nearly $100M to play a professional sport, no matter how big of an embarrassment they were to their team, would never turn down that cash out of the integrity and the goodness of their heart.  Blame Arte and the structure of guaranteed contracts in the MLB, not Albert. 

And technically he's still "competing in the game", so that quote that gets thrown out regarding him retiring isn't really relevant.   He hit around .250 with 19 HR in less than 500 PA's last year.  I am as aware as anyone that he is overall a bad player, but he is still able to provide a smidge of offensive value even if it should be off the bench.  If the Angels have someone that can supplant him and provide more production then of course it's the job of management to have a tough conversation with Albert, but he's not going to put his own ass on the bench.