• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Blanton's ERA and WHIP

It takes one glance at Blanton's numbers to tell you just how awful he has been this year. I had been wondering what it would take for him to get his overall numbers back to respectable levels, so I did a little math. What I found made me LOL, and then cut my wrists.

In 9 starts this year, Blanton has pitched 50.1 innings. He is projected to make 33 starts, so lets assume he stays healthy and finishes with 33 games started. That would put him at about 184 innings pitched.

In order for Joe to get his ERA below 5.00, he has to pitch at a 4.38 ERA the rest of the year. Or, slightly better than his career average. In order to get his WHIP down below 1.50, he has to pitch at a 1.32 WHIP the rest of the way. Again, slightly better than his career average.

So basically, in order for Joe Blanton to finish the year with a 4.99 ERA and a 1.49 WHIP, he has to pitch a little better than he has overall for his entire career.

Now, what about getting his overall numbers down to his career norms? I think much of us expected him to put up an ERA around 4.40 to 4.50, so lets go with 4.50. In order for Joe to get his ERA down to 4.50, he has to pitch at a 3.70 ERA for the rest of the year. In order to get his WHIP closer to his career norm, lets say 1.40, he has to pitch at a 1.19 WHIP pace for the rest of the season. In other words, Joe Blanton has to finish the season with a 3.70 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP, both numbers significantly better than his career averages, in order to finish with a 4.50 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP.

So I guess what I am trying to say here, is Joe Blanton sucks. This was a truly awful signing.

Dude's making 7.5 mil, he will be in the rotation the whole year

The money paid to him is sunk. Continuing to use Blanton in place of better alternatives (eg, Richards starting full time) to try to retroactively validate spending the money is just shooting oneself in the foot. It doesn't matter how expensive the gun is, it doesn't make sense to shoot yourself in the foot. It's shocking to me that the front office of the Angels doesn't seem to understand this basic economics concept. 

The money paid to him is sunk. Continuing to use Blanton in place of better alternatives (eg, Richards starting full time) to try to retroactively validate spending the money is just shooting oneself in the foot. It doesn't matter how expensive the gun is, it doesn't make sense to shoot yourself in the foot. It's shocking to me that the front office of the Angels doesn't seem to understand this basic economics concept. 

I agree with you but that's not how the Angels and Scioscia run things around here. Money and experience gets priority, see Abreu and Wells.

I agree with you but that's not how the Angels and Scioscia run things around here. Money and experience gets priority, see Abreu and Wells.

Another great example, see Jeff Weaver (3-9) > Jered Weaver (4-0) in June 2006.

What's the MLB record for most hits allowed by a pitcher in a full season?

This is not the record but Wilbur Wood gave up 381 hits in 1973 for the White Sox, but it was in over 359 innings, and he had a respectable era of 3.46 (16% above the league average). You have to go all the way back to 1904 to find a pitcher who gave up more hits, and in the 1800's it was quite common. 

I just can't imagine them cutting blanton this early.  Granted, that would be great, but we are stuck with him till the ASB.  Hopefully, he gets put on a short leash and Jerome can chip. 

Gotta move Richards back to the Rotation imo.  Stretch him out and leave him as a starter.  If Blanton can at least get better by the ASB, then replace him with Richards.  Garrett is the type of guy who may benefit from appearances with multiple innings so he can figure stuff out.  I'd rather stomach a 5era from someone with potential than from a guy with no upside.