• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are the Angels trying to re-sign Trout first?

mtangelsfan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Barrett said:

No. There is zero incentive for Trout to sign before Machado and Harper. They will both set the market and he will go over the top. 

Right, so they are waiting for that to re-sign Trout.  Then they will know how much more they can spend.  Then they will make moves.

1 minute ago, mtangelsfan said:

Right, so they are waiting for that to re-sign Trout.  Then they will know how much more they can spend.  Then they will make moves.

No I disagree with that notion. We've already gone over that the payroll that Arte looks at is actual money not the avg salary. Trouts already at 35 million.

Even if they were, it would be with a bunch of opt out clauses in his contract seeing as they have no freaking clue how to put together a contender. Trout might just be tired of not making the playoffs every year and choose to go to a team with an owner that actually gives a damn about winning a World Series.

Just now, ettin said:

It will be a bit more than that. Upwards of $17M-20M, maybe less if he signs a more team-friendly deal.

OK I underestimated his AAV ($24.33M), I doubt he will get more than $40M/yr. I'm thinking Harper gets $35M/yr tops.

$40M is 1/5 of the entire luxury tax on 1 player. Seems unlikely to put a top team on the field and stay under the tax threshold with salaries like that.

The Angels can certainly try to extend Trout, but you have to think his representation is going to wait on any extension until after Harper and Machado sign their free agent contracts.  And that's assuming Trout wants to re-sign at all.  He may want to test free agency and see what sort of bidding occurs before signing or re-signing.  Just because someone reaches free agency doesn't mean there isn't an interest in returning.  It's a savvy business move. 

But I certainly hope Trout signs a 12 year extension before Spring Training. 

Keep on mind, Trout will be three years older than Harper/Machado when he is set to hit free agency. This three year gap could easily be a difference if $100 mil. So while the AAV given Harper and Machado might be relevant to the analysis, the total contract value might not be as important.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I would like to see Trout sign an extension early on a team friendly deal and watch Boras completely lose his shit. Instead of Harper and Machado setting any market Trout signs early and sets their market. Boom. 

No reason for him to do that.  He can wait til they sign, then sign for more and still be viewed as the ungreedy good guy for signing an extension before becoming a free agent, sticking with his team instead of someone who just signs with the highest bidder.

Why would Mike Trout want to make less money than Bryce Harper?  Who would expect him to do that? And who would require him to do that in order to view him as not greedy when he is the better player?

If he extends he just waits for the others to sign and he and the Angels then use the free data to make the right deal for him and the Angels.

There is no good reason to do it any other way.