• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout trade scenario on Braves FB group

This little tidbit was passed along by an Atlanta Braves Facebook group. The article envisions a scenario in which the Angels trade Mike Trout to Atlanta. No chance at all that I see this happening, and I told my fellow tomahawkers that, since I also follow this club closely and I have some idea about their thinking.

MLB Insider Says Slow Start Could Propel Angels to Offer Mike Trout to Braves

Sure, we'll trade Trout to he Braves.  

For Acuna, Camargo, Foltynewicz, Arodys Vizcaino, Mike Soroka and Touki Toussaint.  

They get Trout, Cozart, Calhoun, and they have to take Pujols and all his remaining money.  

Then in two years when Trout becomes a free agent, we'll sign him.  

22 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

From everything we've read, we expect the Angels to offer Trout a huge extension contract this off-season, correct? 

Yes.  I think a few of us expect him to be signed to a contract extension this off season.  Now it is possible that we are wrong.  I think there are still more people on here that don’t believe that to be the case, so one group will be right.  

3 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

The talks would start and end with Ronald Acuna jr

That is basically what I told a Braves fan who wanted to argue that the trade was possible. I told him that any deal would start and end with Acuna going west. He said that Acuna is untouchable, and I told him that he can forget his wet dream of Acuna, Freeman and Trout in the same lineup.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes.  I think a few of us expect him to be signed to a contract extension this off season.  Now it is possible that we are wrong.  I think there are still more people on here that don’t believe that to be the case, so one group will be right.  

If the Angels make the offer and Trout declines it, should the Angels at least start listening to offers for Trout?  I think that would make sense under that situation.

8 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

If the Angels make the offer and Trout declines it, should the Angels at least start listening to offers for Trout?  I think that would make sense under that situation.

If I were Eppler I would bet on myself to convince him to stay.  I would work on it all year, this year, and into next off season.  If no deal can be reached at that point I would then move him.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

If I were Eppler I would bet on myself to convince him to stay.  I would work on it all year, this year, and into next off season.  If no deal can be reached at that point I would then move him.  

The only way that I could see a deal happening is if Trout tells the club that he definitely won't sign an extension to stay.

15 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I agree that if Trout isn't going to consider staying, then you have to trade him at some point.  I'd probably wait till the last minute though just in case he changes his mind.  Or, you could trade him at the 2020 deadline if you're out of contention, get a nice haul, and sign him in the off season.  ?

The only way the Angels trade Trout, in my opinion, is if 2019 is an utter disaster and Trout tells Eppler he wants to play somewhere else, if only through not signing an extension. Then Eppler might trade him and rebuild the team around the young core of Ohtani, Adell, Canning, Marsh, Suarez, etc - plus whatever haul he gets for Trout.

But I'm hopeful Trout will sign an extension this offseason.

30 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The only way the Angels trade Trout, in my opinion, is if 2019 is an utter disaster and Trout tells Eppler he wants to play somewhere else, if only through not signing an extension. Then Eppler might trade him and rebuild the team around the young core of Ohtani, Adell, Canning, Marsh, Suarez, etc - plus whatever haul he gets for Trout.

But I'm hopeful Trout will sign an extension this offseason.

Here's the way I see it and I could be totally off base.  

There is a sweet spot for what you can get for Trout in trade.    His value on the field is quantifiable.  Yet, how many of the 3 million fans are coming to the stadium to watch him play?  So the monetary value he brings to a team transcends that.  And on top of that, a team would have to offset some of the pain of trading Mike Trout - a generational player.  So you'd have to recoup far more than what he brings as a hitter and fielder, but his aura, his marketability and what he means to the Angels.  In some ways, a team has to realize that what he's being paid is offset by his draw.  In that regard, he doesn't actually cost you anything (cue the Arte is cheap rhetoric which actually has some merit mind you).  

So at what point does your return offset his field value, his monetary value, and his unquantifiable value to the team that he started with?  

His value on the field is likely at it's peak right now.  Two years of club control for a 10 WAR player.  Could a team make up that difference right now?  probably.  but what about the other stuff mentioned on top of that.  I doubt a team would be willing to give up that much.  Does an additional 6 months make up for it?  A year?  If you could net 3 potential star players plus a few prospects, then maybe a year is close.  

So if you're a year away from that potentially happening, when do you start entertaining offers?  

Trout seems like a reasonable guy.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But let's assume that he is.  Isn't right now where you try to get a feel for whether you'd think he might stay?  Wouldn't that be the most fair to the team?  Because you're not going to sit on your hands and hope for the best.  You're gonna find out because you've got to plan.  

So the fact that Eppler just recently shut down any notion of trading Mike by saying that 'they know not to even call me about it' tells me that some stuff is going on behind the scenes.  If he didn't have any intention of staying or if there was no hope, then I think the Angels would want to know by right now.  Because there's been no indication one way or another, it leads me to assume that an extension is at least possible.  

I'm not saying that the halos are absolutely forcing him to a decision, but if you're running the Halos, wouldn't you want to know how to proceed by now?  It's only fair.  

The fact that the Halos are still maintaining the mantra that they're not even taking calls is a good sign in my opinion and why I think they'll extend him at the end of the off season.  

@Dochalo, good stuff. Nothing will happen until after Machado and Harper sign. That gives Trout and the Angels a baseline to build from. 

Let's say Machado gets something like 10/$330M and Harper gets 10/$350M. Trout will get at least 10/$400M; I've already gone on record in saying I think he gets a total package worth $500M, so something like 12/$500M.

Now you add in an opt out after 4 years, which would be after 2022, Trout's age 30 season. So Trout goes into his age 31 season with either 6-8 more guaranteed years, or the opportunity to hit free agency.

How can he not sign that sort of extension? It is win-win for him. He gets guaranteed money and the opportunity to leave if the Angels suck and/or he has kids and his wife tells him its time to live on the East Coast.

So to be honest, I don't see how he doesn't sign an extension this offseason. If he doesn't, it probably means he really wants to leave sooner than later and then you have to start thinking about trading him next year.

20 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't think the Braves would even trade Acuna straight up, given cost and team control.

Not to mention the whole bird in a hand thing.   Braves know what Acuna can do in that environment, and the Halos know what Trout can do in this one.

You never know what can happen in a different environment.  

17 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I am too.  I honestly think he does.  I think the Angels will make him an offer he can't refuse. 

Trout wants to win so if he doesn’t feel the Angels can compete no offer will be good enough. Houston has a young core and so does Oakland. The Yankees are set up to be consistently in contention. Toronto has an exciting group of young prospects. If the Angels can’t compete with Trout then it will be time to get a haul for him.,It would pain me to see him leave but it is probably inevitable.