• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Decision on Next Manager

Dtwncbad

I think this shift in hiring guys who don't have previous managing experience is an interesting trend.  Who started this? Which team took the leap first? What's really interesting is trying to understand how these trends even get started.  Seems like every time someone does something different - everyone else starts doing it until the next "thing" comes along - be it the shift, or focusing on the bullpen or launch angles or whatever.   I don't know that all of these things have made the game better from a fan's perspective.  I still like teams that force the issue, put an emphasis on putting the ball in play, etc.  The shift isn't entertaining. I understand it helps teams be more efficient, etc. - but it doesn't do much for the entertainment value of the game.

I don't get the whole launch angle thing and that it's okay to strike out.  One of the things I appreciated about Garret Anderson was that when he came to bat with runners in scoring position - I never really expected him to hit one out, but I always felt he was going to put a good swing on the ball and put it in play.  Now a days - and last night's NLCS was a perfect example - guys come up swinging for the fences when they could help their teams by just putting the ball in play.  Is this a GM influenced thing?  GM's now have more power and input into shaping a team than ever before.  Is that a good thing? 

It's as if managers are becoming less and less relevant. I don't know if I like that.  I'm not saying I don't.  I just don't know.  Some of these GM's are bright and really know how to use data and analytics, but is not what baseball is all about to me, as a fan.  Seems like some of the entertainment value is disappearing.  Big personalities like Billy Martin, Ozzie Guillen or Tommy Lasorda seem to be disappearing.  Regardless of how you feel about those guys - they added something to the game.   We don't see as many umpire/manager arguments any more.  It's like the personality is being taken out of baseball.  To that point - a lot of AW members complain that Scioscia didn't show much emotion or didn't "light a fire" under his players (whatever that means), but they don't want a guy who's old school and does some of that stuff. 

I'm rambling here...

10 hours ago, True Grich said:

I think this shift in hiring guys who don't have previous managing experience is an interesting trend.  Who started this? Which team took the leap first? What's really interesting is trying to understand how these trends even get started.  Seems like every time someone does something different - everyone else starts doing it until the next "thing" comes along - be it the shift, or focusing on the bullpen or launch angles or whatever.   I don't know that all of these things have made the game better from a fan's perspective.  I still like teams that force the issue, put an emphasis on putting the ball in play, etc.  The shift isn't entertaining. I understand it helps teams be more efficient, etc. - but it doesn't do much for the entertainment value of the game.

I don't get the whole launch angle thing and that it's okay to strike out.  One of the things I appreciated about Garret Anderson was that when he came to bat with runners in scoring position - I never really expected him to hit one out, but I always felt he was going to put a good swing on the ball and put it in play.  Now a days - and last night's NLCS was a perfect example - guys come up swinging for the fences when they could help their teams by just putting the ball in play.  Is this a GM influenced thing?  GM's now have more power and input into shaping a team than ever before.  Is that a good thing? 

It's as if managers are becoming less and less relevant. I don't know if I like that.  I'm not saying I don't.  I just don't know.  Some of these GM's are bright and really know how to use data and analytics, but is not what baseball is all about to me, as a fan.  Seems like some of the entertainment value is disappearing.  Big personalities like Billy Martin, Ozzie Guillen or Tommy Lasorda seem to be disappearing.  Regardless of how you feel about those guys - they added something to the game.   We don't see as many umpire/manager arguments any more.  It's like the personality is being taken out of baseball.  To that point - a lot of AW members complain that Scioscia didn't show much emotion or didn't "light a fire" under his players (whatever that means), but they don't want a guy who's old school and does some of that stuff. 

I'm rambling here...

I never understood the manager arguing with the umpires. I can't remember a single time it changed the outcome of a call. You would watch it for 5 minutes or so and then either the manager would get tossed along with a player or two, or the manager would be all heated and just walk back to the dugout. It didn't do anything for me. 

3 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I never understood the manager arguing with the umpires. I can't remember a single time it changed the outcome of a call. You would watch it for 5 minutes or so and then either the manager would get tossed along with a player or two, or the manager would be all heated and just walk back to the dugout. It didn't do anything for me. 

they argue to try and influence subsequent calls

On 10/17/2018 at 12:08 AM, Kevinb said:

Every replay is an argument with the umpire. They just skipped to the chase allowing them to demand one from the dugout. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

The NBA outlawed zone defense eventually, as the players became taller, stronger, and more athletic.

Could MLB adopt some sort of limit, as to how a shift can be done?

i've actually been for this change. i know the argument is lay down a bunt, but i believe the new rule should be, you can't line up on the opposite side of the 2nd base bag before the ball is pitched.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

At the rate the Astros are going, the Halos new manager (if Espada) could be announced as soon as a week from now.

It won't get announced during the World Series, I think MLB has a rule against releasing news like this while the Series is ongoing.

31 minutes ago, CDiaz27? said:

I’d like to see Joe Espada brought in. Simply because he can bring the data they are giving to the Astros pitchers that’s turning them into ‘Ace’ material type pitchers. Angels pitchers need more data other then how to tear your UCL. 

i've said from the get go that it would be espada based on eppler's stated desire for qualities in a manager. i don't think any other candidate represents those qualities better. i think the only thing that trumps that is if espada chooses another managerial position or if eppler likes chavez or ausmus better, as in house guys.