• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Decision on Next Manager

Dtwncbad

I wonder how quickly the Angels will move on this.

If the person they want is available, it makes sense to move fast so you don't lose the person you want to another team.

If the process lags, maybe it suggests their primary target is not officially available yet?

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I wonder how quickly the Angels will move on this.

If the person they want is available, it makes sense to move fast so you don't lose the person you want to another team.

If the process lags, maybe it suggests their primary target is not officially available yet?

They'll probably interview all the internals over the next month, and I imagine Joe Espada (HOU) might pop in once the Astros are out. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or as Eppler said he is going in with an open mind and will interview people inside and outside of the organization.   There’s really no way of knowing if his ideals line up with guys from outside the organization unless they worked with him in NY.  

Yes exactly.  But if they are going to wait to talk to someone like Espada, does it suggest at all that they are not fully comfortable with any if the people they could hire now?

Seems like there are many viable candidates that the Angels have had more than enough time to evaluate. . .

I am just wondering if they don't move quickly on someone they can hire now, does it mean none of them are their first choice and they have to wait to take a run at their first choice?

2 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Do they want to have a manager in place before free agency begins?  I think they should.

That’s possible.  Free agency starts like a week after the last game of the World Series.  So if they want to interview a guy that’s still in the playoffs they’ll have to make a quick decision at that point.  

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes exactly.  But if they are going to wait to talk to someone like Espada, does it suggest at all that they are not fully comfortable with any if the people they could hire now?

Seems like there are many viable candidates that the Angels have had more than enough time to evaluate. . .

I am just wondering if they don't move quickly on someone they can hire now, does it mean none of them are their first choice and they have to wait to take a run at their first choice?

In my opinion it isn’t about being comfortable nearly as much as it is picking what you perceive as the very best candidate.  

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I'm sure both the other internal candidates, and the front office, understand that an external candidate like Espada simply can't be interviewed until his schedule permits, and it doesn't influence the final answer one way or another. 

And I have a feeling most of these internal candidates - Chavez, Ausmus, Paul, maybe even Johnson, Ebel, Griffin - all had at least some understanding that there would be a chance Scioscia would be out for 2019, they'd be 'competing' against each other for the spot, and that there'd be external candidates as well. 

It's really not that different from any other job interview. There's an timeframe, all applicants interview in that span based on their availability, and then perhaps a second round of interviews once that first round is whittled down. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Luke Walton was still on the side line of GSW to finish their playoff run after being hired to coach the Lakers the following season.   Or am i misremembering that?

Sure did:

"He'll assume his responsibilities once the Warriors' current playoff run is over."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/04/29/lakers-hire-luke-walton-next-head-coach/83735158/

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Luke Walton was still on the side line of GSW to finish their playoff run after being hired to coach the Lakers the following season.   Or am i misremembering that?

Basketball and baseball have completely different rules. 

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

Basketball and baseball have completely different rules. 

Yes, but last year Alex Cora interviewed with the Red Sox during the post season when the Astros were still in the playoffs.  From the article I read it looks like he interviewed on October 15th and game 7 was on November 1st.  So while they have completely different rules, interviewing coaches during the post season isn’t one of them.