• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Terry Smith

GrittyVeterans

i'm okay with terry. he's very plain but gives me information. he's fine for radio.

i'm growing less and less interested in rojas. nice guy, good voice, and i thought he started his career very strongly in anaheim. but my growing disatisfaction comes from the growing amount of dead air on each broadcast - tell me some stories, give me some more interesting facts about the hitter or the pitcher, the pitch sequence, or their history against each other - something to better fill the broadcast time instead of a bunch of nothingness. there have been mulitiple times this season where we get nothing from him for a couple of pitches.

i also don't care for what sounds like a lot of inside jokes between him and gubi. it seems to be getting worse and i feel like i'm in the middle of someone else's conversation. i don't think it's very professional of them to refer to things none of the rest of us know about.

8 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Terry sometimes seems confused when things are happening quickly or surprised at times when he shouldn't be. 

I think his speech style is just too slow for quick action. Or the words come too slowly. And a lot of baseball is not quick action.

But when it is quick, it's really quick and can involve lots of players. He struggles with this.

14 minutes ago, Tank said:

i'm okay with terry. he's very plain but gives me information. he's fine for radio.

i'm growing less and less interested in rojas. nice guy, good voice, and i thought he started his career very strongly in anaheim. but my growing disatisfaction comes from the growing amount of dead air on each broadcast - tell me some stories, give me some more interesting facts about the hitter or the pitcher, the pitch sequence, or their history against each other - something to better fill the broadcast time instead of a bunch of nothingness. there have been mulitiple times this season where we get nothing from him for a couple of pitches.

i also don't care for what sounds like a lot of inside jokes between him and gubi. it seems to be getting worse and i feel like i'm in the middle of someone else's conversation. i don't think it's very professional of them to refer to things none of the rest of us know about.

Totally agree with all of this, and summed up a lot better than I could put it

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

We have both noticed the dead air. In all fairness, it is up to the producer of the Angels TV broadcast to point this out to them. He should have mentioned this to them, by now, as it's occurring frequently. A producer is also responsible for coming up with filler material for the announcers, especially things associated with a visual aid. Things that are not just ads. 

You can talk less on TV than on radio, but this is getting to be too little.

The Red Sox Dave O'Brien might be the best going at a conversational style, perfect amount of speech, etc. Yeah, a big homer, too. Fans of teams generally like that.

But O'Brien and his cohort Eckersley (who I think is getting worse) are fortunate that the Sox sell so many things during a broadcast. It's really incredible how many subtle ads there are in a Red Sox broadcast. Watch some time, and count. Yes, even during innings. They always have something to say, yet I dont feel like they never stop talking. The pauses seem just right.

Red Sox telecasts are REALLY well produced. Better than the Yankees, IMO.

It's all subjective obviously....and home team announcers in general aren't very good in my opinion, just because they are so damn biased.

Gubi...seriously, just ....

kindergarten cop shut up GIF

Guy talks about Pujols like it's still 2001.

Rojas is pretty annoying to me as well but at least he criticizes the team when it is deserved.

But the big fly thing and Ohtanison calls....

billy madison shut up GIF by Leroy Patterson

I don't know how much replacing them is going to help. You replace our two bozos and we just end up with two other bozos.

Terry and Victor are very different, but I like them both.  I can appreciate both of them.  Terry seems a good fit for the radio and Victor is a good fit for TV.  Two different mediums and two different broadcasters each suited for the media they work in, IMO.  I also appreciate Victor's presence in social media.

4 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I think his speech style is just too slow for quick action. Or the words come too slowly. And a lot of baseball is not quick action.

But when it is quick, it's really quick and can involve lots of players. He struggles with this.

This is exactly it.  He talks too slowly, so that if he's talking about something else in between pitches, he doesn't finish in time to call the next pitch or play.  Lots of uhhhhhs in between the words of his sentences don't help.

And yes, he more or less tells you what happened after the play is over and has processed it in his mind, as opposed to calling it as it happened.  The time whichever team it was turned that triple play on the Angels last month, it was ridiculous listening to Terry try and figure out what happened and describe it (after the play was over of course).

Victor is the man!  On TV and away from the game.  I’d be crushed if he left. Period.  He is solid.

I could live with any other replacement though on TV or radio.  Never like Gubi.  This isn’t KC.  And that leaks in more that with Hud.

victor sets the ball and gubi often misses the spike.  Can’t put that on Victor.  I’ve often wondered how Victor would work with Hudler though I know itll never happen.  And I’m drunk.  

I was wondering why Jose Mota was calling the Radio Yesterday.

I don't think Terry Smith stays after this year. Call it a gut feeling, but he's been broadcasting here since 2002, and did nearly 20 years before that in Columbus, plus more before that. Wikipedia doesn't have his birthdate, and he did have health concerns earlier this season.

If he's been broadcasting for 40 years+, he's gotta be in his 60's or even early 70's. He started broadcasting in 1977, whereas Physioc started in 1983 and is 63 years old!

27 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I was wondering why Jose Mota was calling the Radio Yesterday.

I don't think Terry Smith stays after this year. Call it a gut feeling, but he's been broadcasting here since 2002, and did nearly 20 years before that in Columbus, plus more before that. Wikipedia doesn't have his birthdate, and he did have health concerns earlier this season.

If he's been broadcasting for 40 years+, he's gotta be in his 60's or even early 70's. He started broadcasting in 1977, whereas Physioc started in 1983 and is 63 years old!

You could be right, but I will disagree.

Smith toiled in the minors for a long time.  More than most, he knows how few these jobs are, and how valuable.  My guess they will have to kick him out, or he will die while still being the pbp guy.

Ralph Lawler is retiring this year from the Clippers, at age 80.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:05 PM, Tank said:

I tend to agree with this, but everything you are describing is Gubi's job...

31 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Oh, Dick, we barely got to know you. You were so good that you quickly moved to national broadcasts. 

I think my greatest memories of your calls were of UCLA basketball during the Alcindor era. Those rainbows of Lynn Shackelford's from the corner always elicited an "Oh my!"

I was in Anaheim for 10 years! You could get into Disneyland for $45 back in the day