• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday 9/2 Angels @ Astros - SHOWTIME!

Just now, fan_since79 said:

If (when?) he needs TJS, what are the chances he'll be just fine after that? How many guys have had a second surgery?

Ohtani as our everyday DH would be awesome and we wouldn't have to worry about his arm blowing out. But no, he has to pitch! He just has to.

He does, because his ceiling as a pitcher is even higher than as a hitter, and the Angels desperately need good starting pitching

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

If (when?) he needs TJS, what are the chances he'll be just fine after that? How many guys have had a second surgery?

Ohtani as our everyday DH would be awesome and we wouldn't have to worry about his arm blowing out. But no, he has to pitch! He just has to.

My understanding is that if you have had TJS in the past, it is more likely that you will need it in the future. But, technically TJS is pretty rare across the league, so its still not exactly likely that he would need to have it again. It would be very unusual for a pitcher to need it twice, but once he has had it once, he would have a slightly higher risk factor of needing it again than an average player would.

BackUpTheTruck, please understand that he is a pitcher first and a hitter second.  This isn’t a hard concept.  He has Ace potential, that is much more important than having a 35 home run guy.  Especially when that Ace can still get you 15 home runs.  

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Ohtani is ace potential starting pitcher who just happens to hit well...

That's who is his and that's his peak...it's why he chose the Angels to begin with

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Or have him get surgery and hit in 6-9 months and have him pitch in 2020.  In case you didn’t know this, lots and lots of pitchers have had TJ surgery and have come back and had successful careers as pitchers.  

Long term, my concern with Ohtani is that there are three typical indicators for elbow injury: high velocity, heavy slider usage, and heavy split finger usage. If you could describe three things about Ohtani's pitching style it would be those same three things. I don't really know how he avoids long term elbow problems in his current incarnation.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Long term, my concern with Ohtani is that there are three typical indicators for elbow injury: high velocity, heavy slider usage, and heavy split finger usage. If you could describe three things about Ohtani's pitching style it would be those same three things. I don't really know how he avoids long term elbow problems in his current incarnation.

Then you cross that bridge when you get there, this is his first season.  

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If he does have long-term elbow issues, how do we know a TJ surgery will solve them?

Maybe he retires at age 28 when the arm falls off? I don't have a good feel about him as a pitcher. Sorry.

If he does have long-term elbow issues, how do we know a TJ surgery will solve them?

Maybe he retires at age 28 when the arm falls off? I don't have a good feel about him as a pitcher. Sorry.

Then he's a hitter...you basically described every pitcher on an MLB roster except Ohtani can put up a .900 OPS

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

My guess is 28 year old pitchers that retire retire because they can’t hit 35 home runs a year.

Just now, fan_since79 said:

That's my point. He reminds me a bit or Ervin Santana in this regard... he was reliant on the slider until he hurt his elbow, after which he drastically reduced his slider usage and started sucking - but he was healthy. After leaving the Angels he made an adjustment back to throwing heavy sliders and rebuilt his career.