• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

EY Jr

floplag

Can someone legit explain to me how he wasnt on the 40 and has been stuck in the minors when we could have hugely benefited from him earlier in the year? 
I mentioned him early in Calhoun's struggles, it was by far the most obvious answer, but we somehow couldnt get him on the 40 till now?  
Hes no super star but he could have and would have been a much better options than what we trotted out there. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Can someone legit explain to me how he wasnt on the 40 and has been stuck in the minors when we could have hugely benefited from him earlier in the year? 
I mentioned him early in Calhoun's struggles, it was by far the most obvious answer, but we somehow couldnt get him on the 40 till now?  
Hes no super star but he could have and would have been a much better options than what we trotted out there. 

Yes he’s better than Blash

15 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Because he hit like .230 in May and .270 in June when the Angels needed a 4th outfielder.

wasnt a secret that he was in the organization.  He wasn’t the best guy to bring up at the time.  He got hot in July. 

As i recall the reason was the roster situation, not performance, please correct me if im wrong but he wasnt on the 40

1 minute ago, floplag said:

As i recall the reason was the roster situation, not performance, please correct me if im wrong but he wasnt on the 40

He wasn’t, but why should he have been given his performance  ? They had Chis Young at the time.  Who also had a handful of decent games. 

27 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

He wasn’t, but why should he have been given his performance  ? They had Chis Young at the time.  Who also had a handful of decent games. 

We could argue whether EY was always the better option, but its moot.  Regardless once CY was dealt EY should have been the call, not Blaish/Hermosillo.

I am thinking the Young made more sense than any of the other options but it isn’t like he would have won us more games.  He is what he is, a 5th outfielder.  He has the ability to be a spark plug but he isn’t a difference maker.  He would have made for a better pinch hitter off the bench.  He would have been a better pinch runner late in games.  But bottom line he is just a guy.  

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

That’s fair, but also.  Hasn’t Blash only been used once since Young hasn’t been with the team ? 

Yes, but thats part of the point, he never should have been over EY in my opinion.  EY to me may not have been as potentially good a power bat as Chris Young, but he was always the better defender/4th OF.  I sorta understood when CYoung was signed the roster decision, but when Calhoun struggled he should have ben added to the 40 and called up over Blaish/Hermosillo.  

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Yes, but thats part of the point, he never should have been over EY in my opinion.  EY to me may not have been as potentially good a power bat as Chris Young, but he was always the better defender/4th OF.  I sorta understood when CYoung was signed the roster decision, but when Calhoun struggled he should have ben added to the 40 and called up over Blaish/Hermosillo.  

They signed him to a major league contract which put him automatically on the 40 man roster.

I'm with you @floplag I didn't understand it either.  Not a true difference maker, but definitely a guy capable of providing a spark and a better option than Chris Young or anyone else they've trotted out there.  It's a tribute to EY, Jr. that he's hung around this long. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

You are incorrect sir:
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/angels-eric-young-jr-back-with-angels/
He signed a minor league deal and his contract was purchased from SLC.  

You are right, but I wasn’t referring to Young, I was referring to Blash. I thought we signed Blash to a major league deal, but we actually traded for him.  I knew we signed Young to a minor league deal.

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are right, but I wasn’t referring to Young, I was referring to Blash. I thought we signed Blash to a major league deal, but we actually traded for him.  I knew we signed Young to a minor league deal.

My misunderstanding then, seem many were unclear on the reference :)

May be easy to forget, but EYJr. last year: 

First 64 plate appearances: .333/.429/.556/.984
Last 61 plate appearances: .196/.237/.286/.523 with 20 strikeouts in 61 at-bats. 

He's fun and has a great story, and has a knack for coming up clutch, but he just isn't that good, and if you're able to retain him on a minor-league deal, leaving a spot on the 40 man open, it's best scenario for the big-league club.

3 hours ago, floplag said:

racism

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

He performed decently last year.   Maybe that's why he should have been brought up earlier.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

EY Jr played every day for 7 days. On the 7th day, he had a good game and everyone is talking about he should have been around all year. 

I would have preferred EYjr at the major league min over Chris Young.  I was never enamored with CYoung while he was in Arizona.  EYoung and CYoung are just fourth OFers...at this point it really doesnt matter.