• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

EY Jr

floplag

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

EY Jr played every day for 7 days. On the 7th day, he had a good game and everyone is talking about he should have been around all year. 

Some of us have been saying he was a better choice way before he was called up this time.  Again, we know he's not a difference maker, but some of couldn't understand Chris Young being a better option.  It's not a knee-jerk reaction to his last game.

26 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Some of us have been saying he was a better choice way before he was called up this time.  Again, we know he's not a difference maker, but some of couldn't understand Chris Young being a better option.  It's not a knee-jerk reaction to his last game.

My point is Eric Young Jr could go 1 for 100 and if the one hit was hustling a single into a double and then pumping his fist, all anyone would see is what a great spark plug he is, ignoring the other 99 ABs entirely. 

He does some things well and is a great guy, but Angels fans just don’t see him rationally. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My point is Eric Young Jr could go 1 for 100 and if the one hit was hustling a single into a double and then pumping his fist, all anyone would see is what a great spark plug he is, ignoring the other 99 ABs entirely. 

He does some things well and is a great guy, but Angels fans just don’t see him rationally. 

I think you're painting Angel fans with a broad brush.  Certainly some will do just what you said, but that's not the case for all of us.  We know he has limits. 

17 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

False. That's like saying if Pujols beats out a double that we all think he's fast.

58 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

False. That's like saying if Pujols beats out a double that we all think he's fast.

Actually, I think if Pujols beat out a double you'd all just say it should have been a triple :)

Obviously, I don't mean to generalize. 

But my general sense (from here and twitter) is a lot of Angels fans love EY.

I think it's just that most realize that EY would have been much more useful than Chris Young, once it was clear Chris could no longer hit major league pitching or field with any sort of consistency.  EY could've been a much better defensive replacement while being a factor as a pinch runner.   And I don't think it would be possible for him to have hit any worse than Chris.

In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't going to save the season or anything.  But it would have probably made a difference in a handful of games.  Personally I think it was because they thought Chris got off to a slow start because of the spring training injury, and just hung on way too long waiting for him to snap back to form, or at least what they thought he was capable of.

9 hours ago, ADHB said:

I think it's just that most realize that EY would have been much more useful than Chris Young, once it was clear Chris could no longer hit major league pitching or field with any sort of consistency.  EY could've been a much better defensive replacement while being a factor as a pinch runner.   And I don't think it would be possible for him to have hit any worse than Chris.

This, I don't think it takes an expert to see that EYJ gives you a better AB and plays the field wayyy better than Blash/C.Young. It seemed like a struggle to make a routine play for them. He's a very capable 4th OF and I don't see why the team wasted so much time on others. 

1 hour ago, Do0mT3cH said:

This, I don't think it takes an expert to see that EYJ gives you a better AB and plays the field wayyy better than Blash/C.Young. It seemed like a struggle to make a routine play for them. He's a very capable 4th OF and I don't see why the team wasted so much time on others. 

Sometimes hindsight involves some selective memory. Chris Young's original role was to also be the DH vs lefties when Albert played 1B and he's historically been a much better hitter against lefties than EY Jr. Blash was on the 40 because he had options this year to function as the SLC to ANA shuttler if it was deemed that Herm wasn't ready to handle it. Obviously things didn't work out so swell but it was a better idea than defaulting to EY for the full season

17 hours ago, True Grich said:

I think you're painting Angel fans with a broad brush.  Certainly some will do just what you said, but that's not the case for all of us.  We know he has limits. 

And yet he's not really off.   

This is a fanbase that swooned over Erstad, and Disar while disparaging Anderson and to a lesser extent Edmonds because they had the audacity to make the game look easy and in Edmonds' case - smile..

Obviously that isn't true of everyone, but you can't say it wasn't common.

Edited by Inside Pitch

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, floplag said:

Can someone legit explain to me how he wasnt on the 40 and has been stuck in the minors when we could have hugely benefited from him earlier in the year? 
I mentioned him early in Calhoun's struggles, it was by far the most obvious answer, but we somehow couldnt get him on the 40 till now?  
Hes no super star but he could have and would have been a much better options than what we trotted out there. 

well, um, how 'bout that.