• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eric Chavez named new Salt Lake Bees manager

Ummmm...Call up! Bees Manager Keith Johnson will be joining the @Angels Major League coaching staff. Effective today, Angels Special Assistant Eric Chavez will assume managerial responsibilities for the Bees through the conclusion of the 2018 season.

Interesting...

Eric Chavez managing triple A as of August 6/7 -- doesn't the AAA season end about Sept. 1 ?  And then any player who might get to Anaheim from SLC is put on the expanded big league roster as a Sept. call up.

IMO they are grooming him to be third base coach or bench coach next year in Anaheim.

Brad Ausmus?

8 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Eric Chavez managing triple A as of August 6/7 -- doesn't the AAA season end about Sept. 1 ?  And then any player who might get to Anaheim from SLC is put on the expanded big league roster as a Sept. call up.

IMO they are grooming him to be third base coach or bench coach next year in Anaheim.

Brad Ausmus?

Lack of managerial experience does not preclude someone from being a manager.  Look at Boone and Cora.  Chavez will have roughly a month of manager experience, but that's one month more than those two combined.

Boone comes from a baseball family with MIF background and raised by a catcher (who at one time ranked number one on MLB games caught list -- I think Carlton FIsk passed him up)

Cora was always described as a 'manager on the bench'

Chavez as a 3B - IMO -- not exactly the type who can step in after one month as manager of a AAA team at the end of a season.

I think Brad Ausmus odds -on favorite. I could be wrong.

Would like them to consider Mike Matheny if it's not Ausmus -- but Halos probably won't do that -  I think they'd pick Ausmus -- who has spent the entire season watching the Halos from a club box -- over Matheny or Josh Paul -- again -- I'd have some concerns with Halos front office decision making if Josh Paul is named the new manager.

I think it's Ausmus with Eric Chavez on his staff..........would be interesting to see if any of Scioscia's coaching staff is kept. I'm guessing NOT -- perhaps DIno Ebel gets some position either in the dugout or perhaps upstairs with player personnel role.

Boone is third in games played at catcher ALL TIME MLB -- the list looks like this:

1.) Pudge Rodriguez 2427

2.) Carlton FIsk 2226

3.) Bob Boone 2225

4.) Gary Carter 2056

5.) Jason Kendall 2025 (his name fifth on the list surprised me)

these are the only catchers in MLB history with 2000 or more games behind the plate.

Three of the five are in the HOF....... Bob Boone had 7 gold gloves.  If Carter's IN, Boone should have gotten/ get some consideration.

Number 7 on the ALL TIME list with 1938 career games caught?   BRAD AUSMUS -- I think he's the next Halos manager. Good choice  - I think.

45 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Boone is third in games played at catcher ALL TIME MLB -- the list looks like this:

1.) Pudge Rodriguez 2427

2.) Carlton FIsk 2226

3.) Bob Boone 2225

4.) Gary Carter 2056

5.) Jason Kendall 2025 (his name fifth on the list surprised me)

these are the only catchers in MLB history with 2000 or more games behind the plate.

Three of the five are in the HOF....... Bob Boone had 7 gold gloves.  If Carter's IN, Boone should have gotten/ get some consideration.

Number 7 on the ALL TIME list with 1938 career games caught?   BRAD AUSMUS -- I think he's the next Halos manager. Good choice  - I think.

I like the way ur thinking. This makes me think its between Ausmus & Chavez.

If Chavez gets it I could see him getting his buddy Kendall from his A's playing days to be his bench coach or something which would be kinda funny having 2 players from the A's 2006 team on the Halos coaching stuff, then we'd probably see them hire Mark Ellis as 3B coach & Jack Cust as hitting coach & Nick Swisher as 1B coach.

7 hours ago, tomsred said:

One possible candidate who I think has a real shot and hasn't been mentioned here is Ron Reonicke.  My best guess right now though is that Scioscia will be back.

I hope Roenicke is not on the short list. Something about him bothers me but I'm not sure what it is. Call it a gut feeling.