• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Scioscia expected to step down at end of season

jordan

Managing at any company is about bringing the minds/egos in the room to buy into the team. At the end of the day the players have to perform. There needs to be a genuine sense of competition/fresh start come ST, the likes of Pujols needs to feel like he's in threat if not outright released.

Start this Sept seeing what Ward/Thaiss/Rengifo can do because this roster needs an overhaul especially on the position player side. Pitching is about having lots of depth anyways so that's going to always be about stacking the ML/AAA level with arms. But this September we need to evaluate the bats and act aggressively in the offseason. We need to upgrade 1B/3B/2B and if Ohtani is able to pitch then half a DH.

12 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

While I understand your point, I think a lot of people forget that Scioscia had an extremely heavy influence over the roster. 

Scioscia picked Mathis over Napoli and who knows what else  

The narrative that Scioscia was just served a bunch of shitty teams is BS because Scioscia had his hands ALL OVER most of the teams he managed. 

Yes..... Narratives.....

Just now, Tank said:

what a dumb thing to say.

Yep, totally classless as well as incapable of any type of perspective as it relates to the history of this team.  It’s these kinds of hot takes that make it really difficult to value anything he posts about.  It really is that level of stupid.  

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Shitty teams? He choose Napoli over Mathis. I agree I disagreed with that call and hated it. Wells was probably his trade as well. I don’t agree with all of his moves. But again like I said. I don’t think a manager in Baseball wins or losses many games. This sport is an individul sport masquerading as a team sport. If the players don’t perform there’s not much a manager can do. It’s not like they can draw up plays or have some scheme. Players have to hit. Pitchers have to pitch. Good guy sad to see him go. Name another manager in Baseball who would have this team in first place this year. 

The point is that new blood has been needed for a long while. Who knows how far Scioscia’s influence poisoned this organization. 

A new voice has been long overdue. Scioscia has been able to get nothing extra out of his teams. It’s evident that teams like the Yankees and Red Sox understand how important a voice is in the dugout. They fired guys with far more success than Scioscia because they understand that a manager does have strong influence over the ball club. 

I find it hard to believe that Scioscia’s non-chalant attitude isn’t the same attitude that this team takes into the season year in and year out. 

27 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Glory Hallelujah!

If Scioscia had any integrity he would have submitted his resignation after the 2012 disaster so the angels can finally move on in another direction -- instead Sciosca stayed put and held the team hostage for the last 6 damn years.

And yet he still gets praise from some people here.

I say - Good riddance LOSER.

well look on the bright side. it'll give you something new to complain about.

1 minute ago, robblin17 said:

The point is that new blood has been needed for a long while. Who knows how far Scioscia’s influence poisoned this organization. 

A new voice has been long overdue. Scioscia has been able to get nothing extra out of his teams. It’s evident that teams like the Yankees and Red Sox understand how important a voice is in the dugout. They fired guys with far more success than Scioscia because they understand that a manager does have strong influence over the ball club. 

I find it hard to believe that Scioscia’s non-chalant attitude isn’t the same attitude that this team takes into the season year in and year out. 

I find it hard to believe a grown up would believe that the persona a manager has while on tv is the same persona he has in the clubhouse, and not only that, but he believes that even though the manager has been here for 19 years.  My guess is if he was passive in the clubhouse he wouldn’t have lasted this long, but then again I am using logic.  

2 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

before you dig too deep a hole for yourself, and there's a good chance that boat has already sailed, you should read the things @Jeff Fletcher has been writing in one of the other threads. 

The Yankees and Red Sox both hired two people with zero experience. The Yankees hired a ESPN personality. That tells you how much managers matter in terms of winning and losing. If the Sox don’t have Betts and Martinez the Red Sox aren’t doing what they are doing this year doesn’t matter who their manager is. Who’s your choice to replace Mike at the end of the year? 

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah....all that success before he got here spoiled us.

SOTO gave up on the team long ago.  He doesn’t watch the team anymore and simply comes in here to troll.  He used to follow the team and had some pretty great insight, then he got to hurt by their performance that he has shied away.  I’d rather read his stuff then the guy who gives up on the team, but simply comes on here to bitch and complain.  I still respect SOTO more than most on here.  

Just now, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

This club has a staple of losing. I didn’t say it was better before. I sad recently, we are one of the worst clubs of all time.

Worst clubs of all time? Please tell me what place did the Angels finish in last year? What is their overall record in the history of baseball? 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep, totally classless as well as incapable of any type of perspective as it relates to the history of this team.  It’s these kinds of hot takes that make it really difficult to value anything he posts about.  It really is that level of stupid.  

I appreciate what Scioscia did for the franchise in the early 2000’s. That does not dismiss that he has been very average to below average over the last 8 years. 

If you think I’m stupid, fine. That’s your discretion. It doesn’t matter to me. its just unbelievable how it took this franchise ten years to try and change the one common denominator that was always a part of mediocrity. 

We’ve blown through players, GMs, front office staff, etc. yet not once until now has the organization looked at what was in the dugout. 

I didn't know so many people would trust Rosenthal's reporting on this matter.  There is actually no confirmation of this from the organization.  Until some actual facts emerge, I think some of you are being quite premature.  The fact remains that there is no word on this from the organization, and facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.

IF this report is true, the replacement of Mike Scioscia will be pretty complex.  There will be a whole lot of consequences and decisions that will have to be crossed.  Not the least of which will be just how much responsibility and decision making will be given to a new manager.  What kind of contract will he have, and who will be making the selection (Eppler alone, Eppler with Arte's approval, or will Carpino be involved). How will a change of this type affect the baseball philosophies within the organization.  Changing a manager can sometimes stall progress that is underway.  I think Fletcher is dead on when he said that fans overplay the role of a manager, and exactly how much influence he has on the performance of the team in daily winning or losing - it's the players who make or break an organization, it is almost totally in their hands.  It's totally silly to look and individual managerial decisions made in the past and say that was a make or break it moment, like an Aybar bunt for example.

What we know so far is just the tip of the iceberg, a change of this magnitude has rippling effects throughout the organization. And this organization can't stall, and expect to keep Trout.  This may be a really good decision for the long run, but I fear it could have dangerous consequences in the short run. 

Just now, robblin17 said:

I appreciate what Scioscia did for the franchise in the early 2000’s. That does not dismiss that he has been very average to below average over the last 8 years. 

If you think I’m stupid, fine. That’s your discretion. It doesn’t matter to me. its just unbelievable how it took this franchise ten years to try and change the one common denominator that was always a part of mediocrity. 

We’ve blown through players, GMs, front office staff, etc. yet not once until now has the organization looked at what was in the dugout. 

Yea, your appreciation just spills over in each of your posts, sorry I misunderstood your history of posting, I will try harder.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

SOTO gave up on the team long ago.  He doesn’t watch the team anymore and simply comes in here to troll.  He used to follow the team and had some pretty great insight, then he got to hurt by their performance that he has shied away.  I’d rather read his stuff then the guy who gives up on the team, but simply comes on here to bitch and complain.  I still respect SOTO more than most on here.  

Thanks Strad (I think). I do watch the games. I’ve been to three this year.  

Curious and I’ve asked this before in a thread but I don’t remember seeing you there.  How many wins / losses do you over the course of a season put on a manager?