• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Assuming Sciossia doesn't come back....

36 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I liked Torre in the Halos booth - it was about two seasons.

He was teamed with Phyz/ Hud.

His 'successor' was Sparky Anderson  who I think spent one year in the Halos booth.

Both were color commentators not pbp guys.  Torre's stories were pretty good.  Sparky? Well, he was sort of an updated version of when Dizzy Dean went into the booth "and Mantle slud into second" " who woulda thunk it/"

Wikipedia is saying that he was a color commentator for the Angels from 1985-90. I dont remember it being that long, but I guess it was.

1 hour ago, disarcina said:

I liked Torre in the Halos booth - it was about two seasons.

He was teamed with Phyz/ Hud.

His 'successor' was Sparky Anderson  who I think spent one year in the Halos booth.

Both were color commentators not pbp guys.  Torre's stories were pretty good.  Sparky? Well, he was sort of an updated version of when Dizzy Dean went into the booth "and Mantle slud into second" " who woulda thunk it/"

Jesus,I forgot about Sparky in the booth.

I'm going to catch flak for this, but if he hung it up, Mathis. 

Not kidding. Never heard a pitcher not rave about him, and seems like crappy MLB hitters have often made good MLB managers.

No idea if he'd want to or if he actually is capable, but I would trust the decision if Eppler and Arte made the move given the above. 

13 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Giradi is supposedly a robo manager -- reads book, book says make a move, Robo manager makes the move.   Also, the players hate him..  At least thats the story.

Yeah, the players love Scioscia and that's not working, so maybe we should bring in somebody who the players hate.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yeah, the players love Scioscia and that's not working, so maybe we should bring in somebody who the players hate.

If the issue was that they aren't winning because they like him, sure.  But it isn't.   I'm good with them making changes, so long as they believe they are fixing something.   Change for the sake of change.... Meh.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Or Pettis and Stan Cliburn?

Or Rick Miller and Gary Lucas?

Nah, it's still hard to totally forgive Lucas for hitting his first batter in 1986 at the worst possible time (two outs in the 9th inning of ALCS game 5, one out from getting to the WS), and hitting a lefty batter with the first pitch to boot (Lucas a LHP).   

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Nah, it's still hard to totally forgive Lucas for hitting his first batter in 1986 at the worst possible time (two outs in the 9th inning of ALCS game 5, one out from getting to the WS), and hitting a lefty batter with the first pitch to boot (Lucas a LHP).   

Yes I agree.  Donnie Moore got all the blame but Lucas hitting Rich Gedman was a monumentary eff up on Lucas.

Ask Padre fans how they feel about Gary Lucas.  He was one of the most despised relievers in their history for exactly crap like that.  He just found a way to mess stuff up.

Anyway my point was more mocking this knee jerk response to finding a manager that always produces the call for Erstad.

I really, really don't get why Erstad is the default suggestion over any other random ex-player.