• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia, Mike Trout

I think managers are overrated in the modern game.  

They used to be the one responsible for noticing opposing player trends.  Opposing manager trends.  How to position defenses.  How to pitch to each guy.  

What do they do now except manage egos?  Call the occasional hit and run?  A pitch out?  When?  Other teams rarely even bunt or steal these days.  

They likely make the lineup.  As long as your best players are toward the top, lineup construction is pretty simple.  

The bullpen?  ok.  maybe there's some strategy there.  But everyone knows much of that is predetermined right?  In other words, every manager has an ipad that shows matchups if Felix Pena gets through 5 and who should be next.  Sure there's a little bit of feel to it.  But it's typically just set.  

Mostly, they have this nebulous job of keeping everyone together.  Whatever that means.  

Mike Trout is so much more important than Mike Scioscia.  Justin Upton and Simmons and maybe even Kinsler and Valbuena likely have more influence on the overall outcome of this season.  But that's the new game.  It never used to be like that, but it is what it is.  

A manager might turn a single game loss into a win or the other way around a couple time a year.  Maybe 5 max.  

Does anyone think that the Yankees would be worse or better with Girardi vs. Boone?  How did Ned Yost go from being a terrible manager to winning a championship?  Bud Black was a genius last year and the very expensive pen the FO gave him hasn't performed so now he looks bad.  Why is Joe Maddon in 2nd place?  Brian Snitker is brilliant.  (how many people had to look up who that is?  I did).  

Player talent rules the game.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Mike Trout is so much more important than Mike Scioscia.  Justin Upton and Simmons and maybe even Kinsler and Valbuena likely have more influence on the overall outcome of this season

Maldonado is way up there too I’d think. I honestly think sometimes he’s more of a bench coach, trainer, and pitching coach than Nagy and Paul and the trainer.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

They used to be the one responsible for noticing opposing player trends.  Opposing manager trends.  How to position defenses.  How to pitch to each guy.  

What do they do now except manage egos?  Call the occasional hit and run?  A pitch out?  When?  Other teams rarely even bunt or steal these days.  

They likely make the lineup.  As long as your best players are toward the top, lineup construction is pretty simple.  

The bullpen?  ok.  maybe there's some strategy there.  But everyone knows much of that is predetermined right?  In other words, every manager has an ipad that shows matchups if Felix Pena gets through 5 and who should be next.  Sure there's a little bit of feel to it.  But it's typically just set.  

Mostly, they have this nebulous job of keeping everyone together.  Whatever that means.  

Mike Trout is so much more important than Mike Scioscia.  Justin Upton and Simmons and maybe even Kinsler and Valbuena likely have more influence on the overall outcome of this season.  But that's the new game.  It never used to be like that, but it is what it is.  

A manager might turn a single game loss into a win or the other way around a couple time a year.  Maybe 5 max.  

Does anyone think that the Yankees would be worse or better with Girardi vs. Boone?  How did Ned Yost go from being a terrible manager to winning a championship?  Bud Black was a genius last year and the very expensive pen the FO gave him hasn't performed so now he looks bad.  Why is Joe Maddon in 2nd place?  Brian Snitker is brilliant.  (how many people had to look up who that is?  I did).  

Yep, exactly this.

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

What if we stop all of this bullshit right now.

Trout is signed through 2020, Scioscia ends his tenure as the Angels manager this season unless Eppler decides otherwise.

No need to kick a fucking hornet's nest every day about Mike Trout.

I was kicking the Mike Scioscia hornets nest, pay attention missy.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Do not under estimate the value of managing egos, keeping the club house positive, building confidence, and keeping players focused over a 162 game schedule.

I do agree that in baseball the impact of a manager in game decisions are over rated.

It's the long term where a managers impact is at his greatest 

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

I truly don’t believe he will be back.   

Just a guess but the fact Girardi is not a manager somewhere and Scioscia doesn't have an extension means, well, you know...

Again, just a guess, maybe not happening, but Girardi was there in NY when Eppler was with the Yankees front office so it makes me think...

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Just a guess but the fact Girardi is not a manager somewhere and Scioscia doesn't have an extension means, well, you know...

Again, just a guess, maybe not happening, but Girardi was there in NY when Eppler was with the Yankees front office so it makes me think...

I have read @Inside Pitch break down Girardi and he sounds like a Scioscia clone, so I am sure after the initial “anyone but Scioscia” phase wears off, it will look very familiar.   

2 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I have read @Inside Pitch break down Girardi and he sounds like a Scioscia clone, so I am sure after the initial “anyone but Scioscia” phase wears off, it will look very familiar.   

I agree...I don't we'd win or lose more this season if either was managing.  If it did happen, you'd get a lot of "New Era of Angels Baseball!" publicity but little would change unless we had different players.  

9 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

What if Mike Trout says he would only sign an extension if the Angels were to retain Scioscia?   Would you reluctantly keep Scioscia because it means we keep Trout?  Or would it be goodbye Trout, we had a good run?  

Incredibly easy answer. I'd keep Scioscia, but I don't have much of a problem with him anyway.

Just now, True Grich said:

“If just one guy is making the decisions based on what he knows, then he better be right 100% of the time, and nobody is,” Los Angeles Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. “You welcome that input, and it helps in your decisions.”

This is where you know Eppler is a better communicator than Dipoto.  If Dipoto was still the GM then my guess is Scioscia’s contribution to that article is, “F that guy”.

Walter Alston managed the Dodgers for 23 years but had over 2000 wins, 7 NL pennants and 4 WS championships to show for it. Scioscia had a good early run but it’s time for him to leave the managing to someone else. Perhaps a front office position would be good for him and the organization. 

Trout shouldn't be part of this conversation. He would never demand anything that’s been suggested.