• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Four More Moves: 2018 Midseason Edition

Piggybacking off this thread from the winter...with so many threads jumping up each day on different bullpen trade ideas, I thought it might be a good time to create one centralized "What would you do?" thread for all to post their ideas in.

We're still 6 weeks out from the trade deadline, but signs point to an earlier than usual trade market developing this year, and the Angels certainly are in a position where they may need to move sooner rather than later to stay in the race. Needs and costs will obviously change over the next month and a half, but we're probably at a point where we can generalize these ideas enough to come close to the mark. 

Here's my ideas...
1) Acquire a controllable SP // Angels trade LHP Jose Suarez, OF Michael Hermosillo, and IF Leonardo Rivas to Miami for RHP Jose Urena

• The Angels receive Urena (2-8, 4.18 ERA, 3.75 FIP, 1.16 WHIP) immediately steps into the back of the Angels rotation and offers stability with significant upside at a great value, as he's making league-minimum and is under control through 2021. His presence allows the Angels to utilize Tropeano and Pena as additional bullpen depth, and he helps fill a 2019 rotation void if Richards leaves via FA.
  • The Marlins receive an MLB-ready SP prospect in Suarez who would have been titled an Angels' rotation too far left, an OF prospect they can play everyday instead of Shuck and Maybin, and a promising potential lead-off hitter and IF prospect in Rivas. 
  • Expansion Idea: The Angels add OF Brandon Marsh (and perhaps RHP Cam Bedrosian) to the deal, and receive either RHP Kyle Barraclough (1.11 ERA, 3.47 FIP, 0.77 WHIP, 9.5 K/9) or RHP Drew Streckenrider (3.55 ERA, 3.01 FIP, 1.24 WHIP, 10.9 K/9) as well, replacing the #2 trade on my list.
  • Comparable Targets: Dylan Bundy (BAL), Jake Junis (KCR), Aaron Sanchez (TOR), Zack Wheeler (NYM), or Jameson Taillon (PIT) with Marsh added into the deal.

2) Acquire a controllable RP // Angels trade RHP Joe Gatto, RHP Jesus Castillo, and RHP Cam Bedrosian to Toronto for RHP Ryan Tepera

• The Angels acquire a steady reliever in Tepera (2.75 ERA, 3.51 FIP, 1.17 WHIP, 9.5 K/9) who comes under control through 2021 and cheaply, on the verge of entering arbitration. 
  • The Blues Jays receive a change of scenery project in the option-less Bedrosian who is squeezed out of the 'win-now' Angels pen, as well as 12 years of control of projectable arms who should see MLB innings in Gatto and Castillo who are a little less crucial after the acquisition of Urena and growth of Canning, Barria, Pena, and Jose Rodriguez, as well as the '18 draft class.
  • Comparable Targets: Adam Cimber, Kirby Yates (SDP), Mychal Givens (BAL), Ryan Stanek, Jose Alvarado, Chaz Roe, Matt Andriese (TBR), Jared Hughes (CIN), Tony Barnette (TEX), Bruce Rondon, Luis Avilan, Xavier Cedeno (CWS), Sam Freeman, Jesse Biddle, Dan Winkler (ATL), Alex Wilson, Shane Greene, Louis Coleman (DET), Kevin McCarthy (KCR)

3) Acquire another RP, either a pending FA or expensive vet // Angels trade RHP Cole Duensing and OF Nonie Williams to Chicago for RHP Joakim Soria

• The Angels add another layer of depth to the pen, absorbing a few million in salary for veteran presence and potentially declining talent. Soria (3.00 ERA, 2.50 FIP, 1.15 WHIP, 10 K/9) provides an option with closer experience. 
  • The White Sox receive salary relief, but also two once-heralded prospects who have failed to achieve any real results, but still have time on their side. 
  • Comparable Targets: Darren O'Day (BAL), Tyler Clippard (TOR), Bud Norris (STL), David Hernandez (CIN), Yusmeiro Petit (OAK), Anthony Swarzak (NYM), Trevor Cahill (OAK), any of the names mentioned in #2

4) DFA Luis Valbuena...and maybe Jefry Marte.

• Luis, I've been one of your strongest supporters, but you haven't been able to find a rhythm this year and the future is nigh. Cut bait and send him packing, maybe he gets warm enough Eppler is able to replicate a Cron for Rengifo or David Hernandez for Luis Madero heist. 
  • Jose Fernandez replace Luis, and while he won't match the power numbers, he'll be a far steadier and balanced offensive player, costing pennies and able to play additional positions. If Marte returns and also fails to produce, he too finds an end to his Angel days, replaced by Fletcher, Cowart, or even Thaiss or Ward.

...and, cheating a bit by throwing a hypothetical fifth move (or first post-midseason move? ;) )  one post-deadline August trade possibility:

5) Acquire Adam Jones or Andrew McCutchen
Either would handle 4th OF/RF during a stretch run or playoff series, should Calhoun, Young, and Blash fail to ever amount to anything. Their salaries and age are high enough that it likely wouldn't cost much more than one or two of names like, at most, Jewell, Pena, Rodriguez, Barash, Lund, Walsh, Houchins.

Resulting roster: 
SP: Likely Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Urena, with Lamb, Felix Pena, Luis Pena, Miguel Almonte, and Canning as depth, and Ohtani, Trop, Shoemaker on DL and possible to return.
RP: Soria, Parker, Tepera, Anderson, Alvarez, Noe Ramirez with above SPs, Jewell, Paredes, Morris as depth and Johnson on DL.
Line-up: Remains the same. 
Bench: Fernandez IF, Briceno/Rivera C, Marte/Fletcher/Ward/Thaiss/Cowart IF, and Chris and Eric Young/Liriano/Blash/Revere as 4th OF options

New Top 30 (not necessarily ranked, not all technically signed yet* either, haha):
Adell, Canning, Marsh, Jones, Thaiss, Ward, Maitan, Jordyn Adams, Rengifo, Jeremiah Jackson, C. Rodriguez, Soriano, Lund, Rivera, Deveaux, Hunter Jr., Pena, Knowles, J. Rodriguez, Soto, Walsh, Gibbons, Bradish, Hernandez, Yan, English, Uceta, O. Martinez, A. Ramirez*, Bonilla*
Graduates: Barria, Fletcher, Jewell, Paredes
Departures: Suarez, Hermosillo, Rivas, Gatto, Castillo, Duensing, Nonie Williams

I tried to make moves that took advantage of our farm, without eating into our best prospects, and still securing MLB-ready players who would help for the long-term without breaking payroll. It also sets up the team well enough to still conceivably push for the playoffs now, but definitely doesn't boost our chances significantly. 

I like the Urena idea. 

Tepera would be a nice get.

Pass on Soria.  We have him already in Johnson.

Definitely time for Valbuena and Marte to move on to greener pastures. 

I like the idea of adding a starter and moving some of the current SP pieces into the pen. 

4 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

Fun read however:

1. No team wants Cam.

2. We don’t want Jones or McCutchen.

1. Cam isn't really someone a team would want. He'd have zero value in the deal. The Angels would be throwing him in as opposed to DFA'ing him, and the receiving club would have just enough interest in him to grab him at that point rather than wade through waiver claim order.

2. McCutchen's OPS+ of 117 would be 4th on this team, behind Trout (219, lol), Simmons (128), and Upton (121) and much better than Kole's...15. SFG would likely be out by that point, and he'd be a month away from FA. He'd come pretty cheaply, and would be a much better 4th OF/RF option in September - and hopefully October.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

2) Acquire a controllable RP // Angels trade RHP Joe Gatto, RHP Jesus Castillo, and RHP Cam Bedrosian to Toronto for RHP Ryan Tepera

• The Angels acquire a steady reliever in Tepera (2.75 ERA, 3.51 FIP, 1.17 WHIP, 9.5 K/9) who comes under control through 2021 and cheaply, on the verge of entering arbitration. 
  • The Blues Jays receive a change of scenery project in the option-less Bedrosian who is squeezed out of the 'win-now' Angels pen, as well as 12 years of control of projectable arms who should see MLB innings in Gatto and Castillo who are a little less crucial after the acquisition of Urena and growth of Canning, Barria, Pena, and Jose Rodriguez, as well as the '18 draft class.

Don’t know if this prospect combo + Cam would get Tepera just entering arbitration but if it does 100% make this trade

Blue Jays are prbly 3/4 years away rather than 1/2 years away from contention with yanks and Sox so I could see them looking for younger prospects with more upside. Something like Jose Soriano and Nonie

1 minute ago, 2020worldseries said:

Don’t know if this prospect combo + Cam would get Tepera just entering arbitration but if it does 100% make this trade

Blue Jays are prbly 3/4 years away rather than 1/2 years away from contention with yanks and Sox so I could see them looking for younger prospects with more upside. Something like Jose Soriano and Nonie

I figured it was a bit of a stretch - Tepera will draw some interest. I tried to trot out a slew of other relief options who may be had for a comparable deal as well. Castillo and Gatto both will likely log some MLB innings over their careers, so my thinking is some team that is starved for resources could benefit by having them in their depth chart. Tampa's targets would be very reasonable for that package, I think, and Bedrosian would be close to home and able to try and re-establish himself as a closer.

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I figured it was a bit of a stretch - Tepera will draw some interest. I tried to trot out a slew of other relief options who may be had for a comparable deal as well. Castillo and Gatto both will likely log some MLB innings over their careers, so my thinking is some team that is starved for resources could benefit by having them in their depth chart. Tampa's targets would be very reasonable for that package, I think, and Bedrosian would be close to home and able to try and re-establish himself as a closer.

Yeah and they didn’t require much for Colome but they got rid of Spans contract.

Detroit is probably the team most in need of depth and prospects in general. But I don’t know much about their relievers 

37 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Piggybacking off this thread from the winter...with so many threads jumping up each day on different bullpen trade ideas, I thought it might be a good time to create one centralized "What would you do?" thread for all to post their ideas in.

We're still 6 weeks out from the trade deadline, but signs point to an earlier than usual trade market developing this year, and the Angels certainly are in a position where they may need to move sooner rather than later to stay in the race. Needs and costs will obviously change over the next month and a half, but we're probably at a point where we can generalize these ideas enough to come close to the mark. 

Here's my ideas...
1) Acquire a controllable SP // Angels trade LHP Jose Suarez, OF Michael Hermosillo, and IF Leonardo Rivas to Miami for RHP Jose Urena

• The Angels receive Urena (2-8, 4.18 ERA, 3.75 FIP, 1.16 WHIP) immediately steps into the back of the Angels rotation and offers stability with significant upside at a great value, as he's making league-minimum and is under control through 2021. His presence allows the Angels to utilize Tropeano and Pena as additional bullpen depth, and he helps fill a 2019 rotation void if Richards leaves via FA.
  • The Marlins receive an MLB-ready SP prospect in Suarez who would have been titled an Angels' rotation too far left, an OF prospect they can play everyday instead of Shuck and Maybin, and a promising potential lead-off hitter and IF prospect in Rivas. 
  • Expansion Idea: The Angels add OF Brandon Marsh (and perhaps RHP Cam Bedrosian) to the deal, and receive either RHP Kyle Barraclough (1.11 ERA, 3.47 FIP, 0.77 WHIP, 9.5 K/9) or RHP Drew Streckenrider (3.55 ERA, 3.01 FIP, 1.24 WHIP, 10.9 K/9) as well, replacing the #2 trade on my list.
  • Comparable Targets: Dylan Bundy (BAL), Jake Junis (KCR), Aaron Sanchez (TOR), Zack Wheeler (NYM), or Jameson Taillon (PIT) with Marsh added into the deal.

• Comparable Targets: Adam Cimber, Kirby Yates (SDP), Mychal Givens (BAL), Ryan Stanek, Jose Alvarado, Chaz Roe, Matt Andriese (TBR), Jared Hughes (CIN), Tony Barnette (TEX), Bruce Rondon, Luis Avilan, Xavier Cedeno (CWS), Sam Freeman, Jesse Biddle, Dan Winkler (ATL), Alex Wilson, Shane Greene, Louis Coleman (DET), Kevin McCarthy (KCR)

3) Acquire another RP, either a pending FA or expensive vet // Angels trade RHP Cole Duensing and OF Nonie Williams to Chicago for RHP Joakim Soria

• The Angels add another layer of depth to the pen, absorbing a few million in salary for veteran presence and potentially declining talent. Soria (3.00 ERA, 2.50 FIP, 1.15 WHIP, 10 K/9) provides an option with closer experience. 
  • The White Sox receive salary relief, but also two once-heralded prospects who have failed to achieve any real results, but still have time on their side. 
  • Comparable Targets: Darren O'Day (BAL), Tyler Clippard (TOR), Bud Norris (STL), David Hernandez (CIN), Yusmeiro Petit (OAK), Anthony Swarzak (NYM), Trevor Cahill (OAK), any of the names mentioned in #2

4) DFA Luis Valbuena...and maybe Jefry Marte.

• Luis, I've been one of your strongest supporters, but you haven't been able to find a rhythm this year and the future is nigh. Cut bait and send him packing, maybe he gets warm enough Eppler is able to replicate a Cron for Rengifo or David Hernandez for Luis Madero heist. 
  • Jose Fernandez replace Luis, and while he won't match the power numbers, he'll be a far steadier and balanced offensive player, costing pennies and able to play additional positions. If Marte returns and also fails to produce, he too finds an end to his Angel days, replaced by Fletcher, Cowart, or even Thaiss or Ward.

...and, cheating a bit by throwing a hypothetical fifth move (or first post-midseason move? ;) )  one post-deadline August trade possibility:

Either would handle 4th OF/RF during a stretch run or playoff series, should Calhoun, Young, and Blash fail to ever amount to anything. Their salaries and age are high enough that it likely wouldn't cost much more than one or two of names like, at most, Jewell, Pena, Rodriguez, Barash, Lund, Walsh, Houchins.

Resulting roster: 
SP: Likely Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Urena, with Lamb, Felix Pena, Luis Pena, Miguel Almonte, and Canning as depth, and Ohtani, Trop, Shoemaker on DL and possible to return.
RP: Soria, Parker, Tepera, Anderson, Alvarez, Noe Ramirez with above SPs, Jewell, Paredes, Morris as depth and Johnson on DL.
Bench: Fernandez IF, Briceno/Rivera C, Marte/Fletcher/Ward/Thaiss/Cowart IF, and Chris and Eric Young/Liriano/Blash/Revere as 4th OF options

New Top 30 (not necessarily ranked, not all technically signed yet* either, haha):
Adell, Canning, Marsh, Jones, Thaiss, Ward, Maitan, Jordyn Adams, Rengifo, Jeremiah Jackson, C. Rodriguez, Soriano, Lund, Rivera, Deveaux, Hunter Jr., Pena, Knowles, J. Rodriguez, Soto, Walsh, Gibbons, Bradish, Hernandez, Yan, English, Uceta, O. Martinez, A. Ramirez*, Bonilla*
Departures: Suarez, Hermosillo, Rivas, Gatto, Castillo, Duensing, Nonie Williams

I tried to make moves that took advantage of our farm, without eating into our best prospects, and still securing MLB-ready players who would help for the long-term without breaking payroll. It also sets up the team well enough to still conceivably push for the playoffs now, but definitely doesn't boost our chances significantly. 

1. I would rather trade for Wheeler than Urena. Wheeler has had his injury issues but personally i think he's a better pitcher than Urena, His FIP suggest that he's pitching much better than but the numbers show.

2. I do thing we need an control-able Rp at this moment.

3. A Closer, personally i thing we should acquire familia from the mets and britton from the orioles.

4. Yes DFA Valbuena, but keep Marte since he has shown the ability to hit Lefties and can play 3rd. 

hand-fingers-4-1186958.jpg?w=1000

By Tres Hefter, AngelsWin.com Contributor

Piggybacking off this thread from the winter…with so many threads jumping up each day on different bullpen trade ideas, I thought it might be a good time to create one centralized “What would you do?” thread for all to post their ideas in.

We’re still 6 weeks out from the trade deadline, but signs point to an earlier than usual trade market developing this year, and the Angels certainly are in a position where they may need to move sooner rather than later to stay in the race. Needs and costs will obviously change over the next month and a half, but we’re probably at a point where we can generalize these ideas enough to come close to the mark.

Here’s my ideas…

• The Angels receive Urena (2-8, 4.18 ERA, 3.75 FIP, 1.16 WHIP) immediately steps into the back of the Angels rotation and offers stability with significant upside at a great value, as he’s making league-minimum and is under control through 2021. His presence allows the Angels to utilize Tropeano and Pena as additional bullpen depth, and he helps fill a 2019 rotation void if Richards leaves via FA.
  • The Marlins receive an MLB-ready SP prospect in Suarez who would have been titled an Angels’ rotation too far left, an OF prospect they can play everyday instead of Shuck and Maybin, and a promising potential lead-off hitter and IF prospect in Rivas.

• The Blues Jays receive a change of scenery project in the option-less Bedrosian who is squeezed out of the ‘win-now’ Angels pen, as well as 12 years of control of projectable arms who should see MLB innings in Gatto and Castillo who are a little less crucial after the acquisition of Urena and growth of Canning, Barria, Pena, and Jose Rodriguez, as well as the ’18 draft class.

• The Angels add another layer of depth to the pen, absorbing a few million in salary for veteran presence and potentially declining talent. Soria (3.00 ERA, 2.50 FIP, 1.15 WHIP, 10 K/9) provides an option with closer experience.
  • Comparable Targets: Darren O’Day (BAL), Tyler Clippard (TOR), Bud Norris (STL), David Hernandez (CIN), Yusmeiro Petit (OAK), Anthony Swarzak (NYM), Trevor Cahill (OAK), any of the names mentioned in #2

4) DFA Luis Valbuena…and maybe Jefry Marte.

• Luis, I’ve been one of your strongest supporters, but you haven’t been able to find a rhythm this year and the future is nigh. Cut bait and send him packing, maybe he gets warm enough Eppler is able to replicate a Cron for Rengifo or David Hernandez for Luis Madero heist.
  • Jose Fernandez replace Luis, and while he won’t match the power numbers, he’ll be a far steadier and balanced offensive player, costing pennies and able to play additional positions. If Marte returns and also fails to produce, he too finds an end to his Angel days, replaced by Fletcher, Cowart, or even Thaiss or Ward.

…and, cheating a bit by throwing a hypothetical fifth move (or first post-midseason move?) one post-deadline August trade possibility:

Either would handle 4th OF/RF during a stretch run or playoff series, should Calhoun, Young, and Blash fail to ever amount to anything. Their salaries and age are high enough that it likely wouldn’t cost much more than one or two of names like, at most, Jewell, Pena, Rodriguez, Barash, Lund, Walsh, Houchins.

Resulting roster: 

New Top 30 Prospects:

I tried to make moves that took advantage of our farm, without eating into our best prospects, and still securing MLB-ready players who would help for the long-term without breaking payroll. It also sets up the team well enough to still conceivably push for the playoffs now, but definitely doesn’t boost our chances significantly.

Do you have a take or want to leave a comment on this article? Click on our logo below to enter the discussion on this topic.

smallheader.png?w=300&h=43

View the full article

6 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I would absolutely do a Tepera type of trade, as long as Barria, Canning, and Suarez are not involved.  I would not trade for a rental this year, wait until free agency.

Tepera could be just the piece we've been missing

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

1. Cam isn't really someone a team would want. He'd have zero value in the deal. The Angels would be throwing him in as opposed to DFA'ing him, and the receiving club would have just enough interest in him to grab him at that point rather than wade through waiver claim order.

2. McCutchen's OPS+ of 117 would be 4th on this team, behind Trout (219, lol), Simmons (128), and Upton (121) and much better than Kole's...15. SFG would likely be out by that point, and he'd be a month away from FA. He'd come pretty cheaply, and would be a much better 4th OF/RF option in September - and hopefully October.

McCutchen could be like Upton a year ago, only he is a true FA while Upton was an opt out.   Caveat would be his lack of sufficient experience against AL pitching. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

McCutchen could be like Upton a year ago, only he is a true FA while Upton was an opt out.   Caveat would be his lack of sufficient experience against AL pitching. 

And should Kole continue to blow, with Herm traded, we may explore a 1-2 year deal for a stopgap vet until Adell arrives. McCutchen could fill that role and potentially hit in front of Trout. NL West and San Fran are tough spots to hit, so a 117 OPS+ isn't anything to sneeze at.

Wouldn't need a traditional 4th OF with him on the team either, so they could stick with Calhoun as an OF/1B type (he played CF last night!) and someone like Fletcher (he played RF last night!) for have enough OF coverage. Allows for a very versatile and flexibility bench, with the ability to shuttle up guys with options like Thaiss, Ward, Fletcher, and Fernandez as needed, as well as any carousel of pitching (6-man?) we utilize again next season.

8 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Either would handle 4th OF/RF during a stretch run or playoff series, should Calhoun, Young, and Blash fail to ever amount to anything. Their salaries and age are high enough that it likely wouldn’t cost much more than one or two of names like, at most, Jewell, Pena, Rodriguez, Barash, Lund, Walsh, Houchins.

This is exactly the kind of deal I would avoid. Aging players making a ton of money and coming up on their walk years. They would be expensive for the time that they were here, would likely not re-sign, and it would take giving up prospects to get them.

I don't see the Giants trading McCutchen after they just traded for him this past offseason.

11 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

This is exactly the kind of deal I would avoid. Aging players making a ton of money and coming up on their walk years. They would be expensive for the time that they were here, would likely not re-sign, and it would take giving up prospects to get them.

I don't see the Giants trading McCutchen after they just traded for him this past offseason.

I really don't think one month of Andrew McCutchen would cost the Angels all that much. Probably something like Luis Madero and Jonah Todd.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, ettin said:

I'm writing this on my 4th glass of wine but my four moves would be:

1) Extend Garrett Richards

2) Extend Martin Maldonado

3) Sign/Trade for a multi-innings reliever (Brad Hand, Jose Urena, et al)

4) Sign/Trade for a catcher that can hit RHP (Alex Avila, Stephen Vogt, Francisco Mejia, Chance Sisco, et al)

Bonus 5) Trade for a quality controllable 3B (Eugenio Suarez, Yandy Diaz, et al)

Urena has been on my radar for a while now. He fits the mold that Eppler seems to like (high octane arm).

Suarez, like Simba when coming here, would have a team friendly contract already.   He has another 6 seasons after this one, averaging about $9.5 million per.

Has hit really well since last season.   How does his defense grade?   

Would have to adjust to AL pitching though.

Urena’s high octane arm has never translated into enough Ks though.   Even this season, he only has 7 Ks per 9 innings while facing the pitcher twice per game.

I think I realized who Urena reminds me of...Ervin. 

Santana's first 3 years as a SP (age 22-24): 4.48 ERA, 92 ERA+, 1.37 WHIP,  H9: 9.1, HR9: 1.2, BB9: 3.2, K9: 6.8
Urena's first 3 years mostly SP (age 24-26): 4.53 ERA, 87 ERA+, 1.29 WHIP, H9: 8.7, HR9: 1.2, BB9: 3.0, K9: 6.4

29 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Urena’s high octane arm has never translated into enough Ks though.   Even this season, he only has 7 Ks per 9 innings while facing the pitcher twice per game.

You're correct, but at least it's an improvement for him. His control has improved dramatically too - down to 2 per 9 instead of 3+ per 9 in years before. He's more of a groundball pitcher too which would work well with our defense. 

Santana also had that high octane arm, yet he never topped a K9 of 8.8 in his career yet he's still managed to win 150 games and post a career 4.02 ERA over 2,300 innings. 

Urena may never fulfill his potential, much like Santana, but with our current rotation, we wouldn't need him to - we'd just need him to be what Ervin became in his late 20's - a steady, effective #3-4 type pitcher who flashes #2 stuff every couple seasons, so we don't need to look into spending money on the Ricky Nolasco, Lance Lynn, Jaime Garcia, Alex Cobb types of the world.

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Those are good points.    Urena's much improved control is good to see.   The one downfall for Santana while pitching here was the up and down seasons that he had.     

And I think Urena will definitely have that same issue without having the knockout K9 needed and the amount of contact he gives up...he'll have seasons or stretches where he gets battered a bit, but he'll also have luck on his side and have seasons where he drops 15+ wins and a 3.50 or better ERA - giving folks the idea that he's turned a corner, only to have luck balance him out the next. 

Ultimately, I like him as Richards insurance, should we lose him to FA; he won't have the TORP stuff like Garrett, but he'll give us a steady RHP presence in the rotation. I think we'll be able to make up the TORP loss of Richards with the emergence of Heaney, Skaggs, and hopefully Ohtani - and Canning could wind up there too. So production wise, I see Urena displacing guys like Shoemaker, Nolasco, Chavez, Tropeano, Bridwell, Ramirez - for a great price, while still having enough 'stuff' to have him enjoy a peak year or two.

Also, I threw other ideas out there who might be within with that package - very well might need to add/swap Brandon Marsh in for a couple, Bundy and Taillon, but worth considering, I think:
Dylan Bundy (25, under control through '21):
3.81 ERA, 4.47 FIP, 108 ERA+, 1.19 WHIP in 89.2 IP, 80 H, 18 HR, 27 BB, 100 K

Jakob Junis (25, under control through '23):
4.43 ERA, 4.96 FIP, 94 ERA+, 1.23 WHIP in 91.1 IP, 88 H, 19 HR, 24 BB, 83 K

Zack Wheeler (28, under control through '19):
4.82 ERA, 3.80 FIP, 78 ERA+, 1.39 WHIP in 74.2 IP, 76 H, 8 HR, 28 BB, 72 K

Aaron Sanchez (25, under control through '20):
4.35 ERA, 4.64 FIP, 97 ERA+, 1.49 WHIP in 78.2 IP, 73 H, 8 HR, 44 BB, 66 K

Jameson Taillon (26, under control through '22):
4.03 ERA, 3.68 FIP, 99 ERA+, 1.22 WHIP in 82.2 IP, 79 H, 10 HR, 22 BB, 78 K