• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Four more moves

wopphil

There are four more moves I'd love the Halos to make. This is wishful thinking on my part, but here is how this team goes from good to incredible:

1. Sign Darvish or Cobb

2. Sign Addison Reed

3. Sign Logan Morrison

4. Trade Calhoun, Cron, and Shoemaker for some combination of a very good, cost controlled pen arm, salary relief, and/or a decent right fielder (a Grichuk type to replace Calhoun).

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

There are four more moves I'd love the Halos to make. This is wishful thinking on my part, but here is how this team goes from good to incredible:

1. Sign Darvish or Cobb

2. Sign Addison Reed

3. Sign Logan Morrison

4. Trade Calhoun, Cron, and Shoemaker for some combination of a very good, cost controlled pen arm, salary relief, and/or a decent right fielder (a Grichuk type to replace Calhoun).

You do realize Grichuk is actually a step down from Calhoun, right? 

I like the signings, but not the trade.  Plus i think Reed is going to eventually me hugely overpaid based on what Colo and others have done with relievers, his market is set way too high.   I would like another quality dedicated reviler but i suspect that will come in trade not signing. 
If signings do happen then so will a trade as it would make Cron and possibly even Valbuena redundant

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

1. Sign Darvish or Cobb

2. Sign Addison Reed

3. Sign Logan Morrison

don't like your #3 or #4.   I don't see Lomo being much of an upgrade over the combo of Cron/Valbuena/Pujols at 1b.  Someone like him would also want to be the primary guy and even if you trade Cron, he'd have to share with Pujols and Valbuena which I don't think he'd do.   Not a fan of moving Calhoun right now.  He's got the 4th most value as a RFer over the last four years

It's Stanton, Harper, Betts and Calhoun.    Ahead of Heyward, JD Martinez, Springer, Jose Bautista, Puig, Pence, Reddick, and a bunch of other really solid players.  That's not replaceable with Randal Grichuk.  And Kole is coming off a year he'd likely consider subpar.  

My conservative/obvious moves would be:

1.  Sign a bargain starter.  Lynn would be great.  But even Jaime Garcia would work

2.  Addison Reed - really like the idea of grabbing a young consistent RP.  Tony Watson, or some other solid guy would work.  

3.  Sign a 4th OFer or util guy that can play OF.  Would love to grab Howie for that spot.  

4.  Just like last year, load the minors with a bunch of minor league FA RP arms to flip in and out from SLC.  

My uber aggressive moves would be:

1. Sign Darvish

2. Sign Reed

3. Trade whatever it takes to get Marcus Stroman. 

4. Grab a 4th OFer.  

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

I like the signings, but not the trade.  Plus i think Reed is going to eventually me hugely overpaid based on what Colo and others have done with relievers, his market is set way too high.   I would like another quality dedicated reviler but i suspect that will come in trade not signing. 
If signings do happen then so will a trade as it would make Cron and possibly even Valbuena redundant

Yeah, the Reed mive is the easiest one to cut from my list. More realistically, if you could sign Cobb (5/65) and Morrison (2/18), and then move Cron and Shoemaker for a relief arm, you improve the team significantly without exceeding the cap.

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

1. Sign Darvish or Cobb

2. Sign Addison Reed

3. Sign Logan Morrison

1. Really like Cobb but he's going to be overpriced. Darvish is going to be disastrous. He'll be 32 next years, way past his prime eve. If he has 2 good years, for the next 3 years your looking at a ov3r priced pitcher, that just taking a spot.

2.Reed or Watson would work.

3. Nope, rather go with what we have. In stead would rather go after Grendal or Alvila as backups for C and 1st.

4. Why trade Kole and Shoe when there coming of down season?. And grich is a downgrade. Rather just wait and see if they can rebound, Kole alone if he rebounds should be able to get us a 100 prospects plus few Bp piece or a few guys with upside that are a few years back.

Same could be said about shoemaker.

Plus I think we are also trying save as much money this offseason for the next one.

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

1. Sign Darvish or Cobb

2. Sign Addison Reed

3. Sign Logan Morrison

Jerry! You are no longer the GM here. Just because you have traded away everyone you could in Seattle, doesn't mean you can come back down here and do it again.

These would be my 4 goals.

1. Sign Reed or Watson

2. Trade or sign a left handed backup catcher that can play first. Grendal/ Avila/ Montero

3. Get a inning eater, Garcia or Vargas.

4. This one is during the season. So, let say both Kole and Shoemaker rebound, we are looking at atleast 5-6 Or more war combined. We also have either Lund or Hermosillo ready to take over for Kole. We package them together for young mlb ready talent. 

Ex. 

Brewers get Kole, shoe and Johnson

Angels- Hiura, Burnes/ Woodruff, and Perelta.

9 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. Really like Cobb but he's going to be overpriced. Darvish is going to be disastrous. He'll be 32 next years, way past his prime eve. If he has 2 good years, for the next 3 years your looking at a ov3r priced pitcher, that just taking a spot.

2.Reed or Watson would work.

3. Nope, rather go with what we have. In stead would rather go after Grendal or Alvila as backups for C and 1st.

4. Why trade Kole and Shoe when there coming of down season?. And grich is a downgrade. Rather just wait and see if they can rebound, Kole alone if he rebounds should be able to get us a 100 prospects plus few Bp piece or a few guys with upside that are a few years back.

Same could be said about shoemaker.

Plus I think we are also trying save as much money this offseason for the next one.

we stand to clear about 15m after the 2018 season assuming we don't extend Richards or Maldo.  And we lose Kinsler and Valbuena as well.  2019 CBT threshold bumps up 9 mil to 206.  

So we'll likely need a 2b or 3b man.  Some pen arms.  A starting pitcher or two, and a Catcher.  I think there's a good chance of extensions to Richards and Maldo though but that would tack on at least 20mil and possibly closer to 25 mil.  Eating up the differential between the threshold that you gained and already taking payroll to about 175 mil without adding a 2b or 3b man.  

If things go well this year I could see the next off season being a trade fest for the halos.  Grabbing that 2b/3b and a SP on a depressed trade market because of the number of available free agents.  Or waiting out the market in the hope that some of the free agents prices come down.  

13 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Why is everyone in a hurry to trade Kole? I don't get it.

because he probably has excess value vs. what he's owed yet he's not totally cheap or controlled for a huge amount of time.  He's also now on the wrong side of 30.  So there's not much upside from what he's shown if at all.  On top of it, we've got a bunch of young OF prospects getting closer to the bigs.  

I feel like it's a bit premature personally.   If Mike Hermosillo or maybe even Jam Jones charge big this year, it could be a consideration next off season. 

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

because he probably has excess value vs. what he's owed yet he's not totally cheap or controlled for a huge amount of time.  He's also now on the wrong side of 30.  So there's not much upside from what he's shown if at all.  On top of it, we've got a bunch of young OF prospects getting closer to the bigs.  

I feel like it's a bit premature personally.   If Mike Hermosillo or maybe even Jam Jones charge big this year, it could be a consideration next off season. 

next year maybe but I would like to see him in an Angels uniform this year at least.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

we stand to clear about 15m after the 2018 season assuming we don't extend Richards or Maldo.  And we lose Kinsler and Valbuena as well.  2019 CBT threshold bumps up 9 mil to 206.  

So we'll likely need a 2b or 3b man.  Some pen arms.  A starting pitcher or two, and a Catcher.  I think there's a good chance of extensions to Richards and Maldo though but that would tack on at least 20mil and possibly closer to 25 mil.  Eating up the differential between the threshold that you gained and already taking payroll to about 175 mil without adding a 2b or 3b man.  

If things go well this year I could see the next off season being a trade fest for the halos.  Grabbing that 2b/3b and a SP on a depressed trade market because of the number of available free agents.  Or waiting out the market in the hope that some of the free agents prices come down.  

So I have an rough estimate for the payroll for next year.

As of right now we have about 25 mil left to spend. We are at about 122 mil with guranteeted contracts next year, including valubena 8 mil next year. Taking the estimates for the Arb the payroll would come out to about 165-170 mil, just an estimate. We would have about 40- 50 mil to spend next year. 

Kinsler, Johnson, Richards and MALDO are free agents next year.

If Richards has a good healthy year, we probably resign him and due to the fact of his injury history it would be a team friendly contract. Ex. 3 yrs 3-38 mil.

With ward in the system we don't really need to over pay for MALDO. 

So with that u assume we should have 30-40 mil to add a sp and a 3rd baseman. 

Than consider valubena opt-out and if we trade Kole that's another 8- 20 mil we save.

I'm writing this on my 4th glass of wine but my four moves would be:

1) Extend Garrett Richards

2) Extend Martin Maldonado

3) Sign/Trade for a multi-innings reliever (Brad Hand, Jose Urena, et al)

4) Sign/Trade for a catcher that can hit RHP (Alex Avila, Stephen Vogt, Francisco Mejia, Chance Sisco, et al)

Bonus 5) Trade for a quality controllable 3B (Eugenio Suarez, Yandy Diaz, et al)

Edited by ettin

17 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

So I have an rough estimate for the payroll for next year.

As of right now we have about 25 mil left to spend. We are at about 122 mil with guranteeted contracts next year, including valubena 8 mil next year. Taking the estimates for the Arb the payroll would come out to about 165-170 mil, just an estimate. We would have about 40- 50 mil to spend next year. 

Kinsler, Johnson, Richards and MALDO are free agents next year.

If Richards has a good healthy year, we probably resign him and due to the fact of his injury history it would be a team friendly contract. Ex. 3 yrs 3-38 mil.

With ward in the system we don't really need to over pay for MALDO. 

So with that u assume we should have 30-40 mil to add a sp and a 3rd baseman. 

Than consider valubena opt-out and if we trade Kole that's another 8- 20 mil we save.

Where does the money of Trouts extension come in!  He needs to be extended by 2019 season or we should look to trade him in the summer of 2019.