• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

JMF Called Up

I said it in another thread, or in a PM, can't remember, but at the time I considered JMF the best bat in the minor league system, and likely the 4th best bat on the Angels behind Trout, Upton and Ohtani (Simmons on the DL).  Now that Ohtani is on the DL, it looks to me like JMF is by default, the third best hitter on this team behind Trout and Upton. 

He's better than Valbuena, Pujols, Marte, Maldonado, Kinsler, Cozart, and Calhoun/Young/Hermosillo.  Yet those are the guys getting playing time. 

It's ridiculous the Angels wasted this much time in calling him up. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I said it in another thread, or in a PM, can't remember, but at the time I considered JMF the best bat in the minor league system, and likely the 4th best bat on the Angels behind Trout, Upton and Ohtani (Simmons on the DL).  Now that Ohtani is on the DL, it looks to me like JMF is by default, the third best hitter on this team behind Trout and Upton. 

He's better than Valbuena, Pujols, Marte, Maldonado, Kinsler, Cozart, and Calhoun/Young/Hermosillo.  Yet those are the guys getting playing time. 

It's ridiculous the Angels wasted this much time in calling him up. 

Well this looks like his opportunity to prove it. Fingers crossed he takes off instead of being forever a minor leaguer. He needs to force Scioscia to keep him in the lineup by overwhelmingly playing better than the vets in order to continuously start.

11 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

How did they get him on the 40 man roster? Does this Ohtani is now on the 60 day DL?

10 hours ago

There was no corresponding 40-man roster move to accommodate Jose Fernandez. The Angels began the day at 39.

12 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Well this looks like his opportunity to prove it. Fingers crossed he takes off instead of being forever a minor leaguer. He needs to force Scioscia to keep him in the lineup by overwhelmingly playing better than the vets in order to continuously start.

Lol he could bat .335 and still we’ll get a steady diet of Valbuena and other clowns

mike likes the veterans. It’s a country club atmosphere

4 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Lol he could bat .335 and still we’ll get a steady diet of Valbuena and other clowns

mike likes the veterans. It’s a country club atmosphere

Lets play a game -- you list all the young guys that were relegated to the bench since 2000, and Ill show you all the young guys that were played over veterans..

Here's a list

2000 - 2 everyday starters age 25 or younger
Bengie Molina was handed C job over incumbent Matt Wallbeck
Adam Kennedy given 2B over Kevin Stocker, Justin Baughman was around too -- he had been the starter in 1998.
Scott Schoenewise, Jarrod Washburn and Ramon Ortiz were all inserted into the rotation.   Seth Ehterton age 23 and Brian Cooper age 25 were also given at least 10 starts - Tim Belcher was still around, as was Kent Bottenfield.  Both were cast aside for the younger pitchers.

2001 - 2 everyday starters age 25 or younger
David Eckstein was given the everyday SS job over Benji Gil who was the incumbent.   Gil put up an OPS of .809 that year -- almost 100 points higher than Eck -- but Eck never lost the spot.
Scott Speizio a career 2B through that point of his career was installed at 1B over Wally Joyner.

2002 - 1 everyday starter 25 or younger
Lackey ousts Schoenewise from the rotation,
Krod, Donkey, Scot Shields all given critical roles in the pen.

2003 - 0 everyday starters 25 or younger
Jeff DaVanon handed LF starting job over veteran FA signing Eric Owens.
Robb Quinlann given at bats over the older more experienced former Dodgers farm hand Adam Riggs.
Scot Shields inserted as  a starter over Kevin Appier -- who gets released.

2005 - 1 everyday starters 25 or under
Troy Glaus allowed to leave in FA to make room for Dallas McPhereson (who would break down physically)
Aaron Sele send packing to make room for Ervin Santana

2006 - 2 everyday starters 25 or younger
Mike Napoli given top catching duties over Jose Molina and Jeff Mathis
Chone Figgings given starts over Curtis Pride in CF
Kendrys Morales and Casey Kotchman given priority over Robb Quinlann who was putting up an OPS over .800
Maicer Izturis given priority over Edgardo Alfonzo after Dmac breaks again.
Jered Weaver supplants Jeff in rotation.

2007 - 3 everyday starters 25 or younger
Adam Kennedy sent packing to make room for Howie Kendrick
Casey Kotchman's turn to try to win 1B over Shea Hillenbrand (FA signing)
Figgins takes over 3B (again over Hillenbrand who can play the two corner spots)

2008 - 4 everyday starters age 25 or younger
Orlando Cabrera traded to make room for Erick Aybar
Jeff Mathis starts eating away at Napoli's games at C
Kendrys Morales back at 1B

2011 - 2 everyday starters age 25 or younger
Peter Bourjos forces Torri Hunter to RF (Abreu moved to DH)
Mark Trumbo given 1B
Tyler Chatwood installed in rotation over Jerome Williams and Matt Palmer

JD era starts

Chatwood traded away for Ianetta, Jordan Walden traded for Hanson.  AP signed (displacing Trumbo), CJ Wilson signed.

2012 - 1 everyday player 25 or younger
Mike Trout displaces Peter Bourjos in CF
Kendrys Morales displaces Abreu at DH (not really a case of a young guy over a vet but people like to pretend Abreu was keeping Trout from starting)

Segura traded for Grienke.  Ervin Santana traded away replaced by Blanton.

2013 - 1 everyday player 25 or younger
JB Shuck takes over LF in place of Wells (Bourjos, Cowgill and Brad Hawpe all on roster)

2014 - 2 everyday players 25 or younger
Kole Calhoun replaces Hamilton in RF -- Hamilton moved to LF
CJ Cron gets the most at bats at DH

Okay -- your turn.

23 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

You are really going outside the box....It's good...One change for me...Marte and JMF at 1B (Gives the LH/RH Combo)

Still dont think the Angels make the move to this...It would be easier to see this if Kinsler still stinks....

While I agree, and Kinsler looks to be turning it around, the reality is hes still gone in 4 months. And we will need a 3B this winter (as well as now). And we still have nobody in house to fill the spot.

Im not sure it has to be moustakas, but its going to have to be solved.

17 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

While I agree, and Kinsler looks to be turning it around, the reality is hes still gone in 4 months. And we will need a 3B this winter (as well as now). And we still have nobody in house to fill the spot.

Im not sure it has to be moustakas, but its going to have to be solved.

Fernandez cant play 3rd?

Fernandez looks like the hitting version of Goose Gossage.  Goose looked like he was a max effort guy on every single pitch and while effective it wasn’t pretty.  Fernandez looks like he’s swinging super hard, with very little control, yet it works.  

25 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

There really was no excuse for JMF to be held in the minors for as long as he was.

And they really need to give him a chance...none of this play a couple games, sit him, send him down stuff....

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

There really was no excuse for JMF to be held in the minors for as long as he was.

AngelsWin was clammoring for this kid, and I think the posters here were right. I understand him starting the year in AAA. Totally made sense in my mind. But spending a third of the regular season in a league that clearly wasn't challenging him, while the gents above him were collectively hitting .220 maybe looks pretty bad.

He should have been up the first or second week of May.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

AngelsWin was clammoring for this kid, and I think the posters here were right. I understand him starting the year in AAA. Totally made sense in my mind. But spending a third of the regular season in a league that clearly wasn't challenging him, while the gents above him were collectively hitting .220 maybe looks pretty bad.

He should have been up the first or second week of May.

Totally agree. he looks like a stud at the plate. I hope it continues.