• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Supreme Court decision of the day

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Writing for the dissenters, Thomas accused the majority of, in essence, being deliberately obtuse. "The question here is straightforward: Would an ordinary reader of the English language understand Van Buren to have "exceed[ed] authorized access" to the database when he used it under circumstances that were expressly forbidden? 

"In my view, the answer is yes," said Thomas, adding that under the terms of the statute, Van Buren was not "entitled" to access the information from the computer. "Everyone agrees that he obtained it for personal gain, not for a valid law enforcement purpose. And without that valid purpose, he was forbidden to use the computer to obtain the information."

To illustrate his point, Thomas had a different set of "real-world" examples. A valet who obtains a car from a restaurant patron is, to use the term in the statute, "entitled" to access the car in order to park it, but not to take a joyride. And an employee who is entitled to pull a fire alarm in the event of a fire is not entitled to pull the alarm to delay a meeting for which he is unprepared.
———-

I agree with Thomas. This seems like a pretty dangerous precedent.

19 minutes ago, Tank said:

Writing for the dissenters, Thomas accused the majority of, in essence, being deliberately obtuse. "The question here is straightforward: Would an ordinary reader of the English language understand Van Buren to have "exceed[ed] authorized access" to the database when he used it under circumstances that were expressly forbidden? 

"In my view, the answer is yes," said Thomas, adding that under the terms of the statute, Van Buren was not "entitled" to access the information from the computer. "Everyone agrees that he obtained it for personal gain, not for a valid law enforcement purpose. And without that valid purpose, he was forbidden to use the computer to obtain the information."

To illustrate his point, Thomas had a different set of "real-world" examples. A valet who obtains a car from a restaurant patron is, to use the term in the statute, "entitled" to access the car in order to park it, but not to take a joyride. And an employee who is entitled to pull a fire alarm in the event of a fire is not entitled to pull the alarm to delay a meeting for which he is unprepared.
———-

I agree with Thomas. This seems like a pretty dangerous precedent.

Wrong.

X-2Z1b.gif 

Supreme Court rules against immigrants with temporary status

A unanimous Supreme Court ruled Monday that thousands of people living in the U.S. for humanitarian reasons are ineligible to apply to become permanent residents.

Justice Elena Kagan wrote for the court that federal immigration law prohibits people who entered the country illegally and now have Temporary Protected Status from seeking “green cards” to remain in the country permanently.

13 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Gorsuch, Thomas join liberal justices in siding with criminal defendant

Weird one.  Not only because two far rights went with the left.  But the case is a gun issue.

I think at some point most, not all, felons should get ALL their rights back if they've proven that they moved on from their past mistakes and have developed a good moral character and productive member of society. 

The "penalty" is one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen.

"Oh, you couldn't afford $350 a month for health insurance? Pay the IRS a fine".

Fortunately, they don't require any proof that you had insurance. Audit me, idgaf. I have nothing for you to take.

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Many religious beliefs do not make a lot of sense to people that do not practice the religion 

I know a gay couple that have 2 adopted kids. They seem pretty damn happy. I'm sure living in a Catholic foster care would be just as cool though. 

9 hours ago, St1ck said:

I know a gay couple that have 2 adopted kids. They seem pretty damn happy. I'm sure living in a Catholic foster care would be just as cool though. 

I think we need to trust the science here. Science says no gay couple can reproduce without help. Therefore it is scientifically certain gay couples were never intended to be parents