• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

We got SS, Jeremiah Jackson!!

School: St. Luke's Episcopal School, Mobile, Ala.
Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 170 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Mississippi State
Scouting Report: The top prep prospect in Alabama, Jackson brings an impact bat to the table and wasted no time putting it on display this spring, when he hit a home run—rumored to be over 400 feet—in his first at-bat with St. Luke’s Episcopal School in Mobile, Ala. Jackson is an offensive-oriented infielder with natural strength and power that should continue to improve as his fills out his rangy, athletic frame. He used a deep leg lift during the summer and fall that created issues with his timing when he would get out in front and lunge at balls. But when his timing is down, Jackson has some of the better bat speed and raw power of any middle infielder in the class. With an above-average to plus arm, Jackson will have a chance to stick at shortstop, though many envision a move to second or third as he doesn’t have the quick-twitch actions and overall speed that is required for the position. His arm action tends to get long as well, which hurts his exchange and quickness on throws to first base. Regardless, Jackson should have enough glove skill to handle a position on the dirt to go alongside his dangerous bat.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Before the draft, the experts at Baseball America had Adams going two picks before us to the Texas Rangers. Here's their blurb:

15. Rangers (Kegan) Jordyn Adams, OF, Green Hope HS, Cary, N.C. History suggests that the Rangers are perfectly happy with taking a big hack at a high-risk, high-reward prospect in the draft. Me too. So give me Adams, who might have the highest ceiling of any player in this class. Adams is a two-sport athlete committed to play both football and baseball at North Carolina, and the thought of what he could become once he focuses solely on baseball is extremely enticing once we get outside of the top-10 picks.

Sounds like Adell a year ago?

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Sounds like a Brandon Marsh meets Nonie Williams type of prospect. Can't complain. A lot of highly ranked pitchers have slid, but don't pick again until #93 I think.

Guessing Adams will cost a good bit.

There seems to be a lot less doubt that Jackson's bat is real.   But they definitely are staying up the middle again.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

So the Angels drafted at the two positions (OF, MI) that they're already deepest at?

Hmm...

they're deepest at SP and OF.  

They've got some guys to watch at 3b but no one super exciting.  He's a long ways away AJ.  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Some people have hung a 60 hit tool on this kid -- MLB has it at 55...   Angels passing on the arms early to pick up the young upside position players.

Kind of crazy because it seemed like the Angels were mostly linked to pitchers

Well, I can buy the approach of drafting the highest upside, most athletic players, and then adjusting as needed. I'll warm to these picks as I trust Eppler's judgement, but I'm just a tad surprised he passed on Singer or Seigler for Adams, and didn't go for the best arm instead of Jackson. But I tend to geek out over position players more than pitchers, so I'm OK with it.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Well, I can buy the approach of drafting the highest upside, most athletic players, and then adjusting as needed. I'll warm to these picks as I trust Eppler's judgement, but I'm just a tad surprised he passed on Singer or Seigler for Adams, and didn't go for the best arm instead of Jackson. But I tend to geek out over position players more than pitchers, so I'm OK with it.

Same here! Way too much risk in starting pitchers. 

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

I posted this in the prospects thread, but I'll drop it here too...

Maybe one of the reasons we didn't go after a college arm and went for the best overall player/athlete with our 1st rounder is the club control of all of our arms. 

Ohtani, Barria, Canning, Suarez, Tropeano, Heaney, Skaggs, Pena, Castillo, Lamb and if Richards wants to remain a teammate with his best friend, MIke Trout, maybe Richards gives the Angels a hometown discount? That's a hell of a lot of pitching.

There's also guys like Gatto, Rodriguez, Soriano, Madero, Rivera, Almonte, Swanda & Duensing. 

We also have Alex Meyer, Nate Smith and Chris Rodriguez coming back from injury. 

Tons of pitching depth there! 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I posted this in the prospects thread, but I'll drop it here too...

Maybe one of the reasons we didn't go after a college arm and went for the best overall player/athlete with our 1st rounder is the club control of all of our arms. 

Ohtani, Barria, Canning, Suarez, Tropeano, Heaney, Skaggs, Pena, Castillo, Lamb and if Richards wants to remain a teammate with his best friend, MIke Trout, maybe Richards gives the Angels a hometown discount? That's a hell of a lot of pitching.

There's also guys like Gatto, Rodriguez, Soriano, Madero, Rivera, Almonte, Swanda & Duensing. 

We also have Alex Meyer, Nate Smith and Chris Rodriguez coming back from injury. 

Great point!

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

^True. It is also important to remember, as Doc mentioned above, that JJ and JA are very young - high school guys, who are at least a few years away from the bigs.

Plus Jeremiah Jackson is a badass name.

For some reason his name makes me think of Pulp Fiction. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

And plenty of OF prospects to trade for more if needed.

Buying FA SPs sucks. Develop internally or trade for them. Draft high upside athletes to develop stars, fill in the gaps via FA with mid-tier guys. I like that plan.