• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

11 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Bad pick. McClanahan is a lefty who throws high 90s touching 100, projected as a reliever. I would have picked him if Singer had health issues. We are fine in the outfield. Pitching wins.

You don’t take relievers in the first round. College relievers have a terrible track record as top draft picks. 

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Guys, he's not passing up on 3 million dollars to go to college. Would you have done that when you were 18? 

This. You don’t think the Angels talked numbers with dude, his family, etc.

if he signs with the Angels and decides to go back to school in the future his contract will require the tea pay for his education. 

I usually say always pick the best available player.  No guarantees that all of these OF prospects will project to what they'll be and if they do, it's a nice problem to have.  Usually pitchers are a TJ away (or two or three) from having their careers stall.  If the Angels can't sign, they'll get the pick back next year.  

can't believe we had a chance to get Gorman and passed.  top 5 talent.  

Adams is a nice pick.  High upside athlete project in the Eppler mold.  We'll see him in 5 years or so.  But Gorman is Chris Davis with a hit tool that can play 3b.  I really think we made a mistake here.  

On 5/29/2018 at 5:24 PM, Blarg said:

Pitchers, pitchers, pitchers, pitchers, all the mock drafts call for the Angels to take a pitcher but will the 17th player picked be another overlooked Adell type player? So many of these arms from last year's draft fizzled while Adell is still impressing. I'd rather the best player available be taken, not just the best arm.

artwork-ruth-babe-10097.89-nbl_cropped.j

Best player available is highly subjective. Was Adams the best player available? Absolutely not.

That said, you draft on what the player could provide to the club during his years before reaching FA + probability levels he reaches certain value levels of production.

Adams has the potential to be an All-Star type player. He could also be a bust and never reach the Show. Wide distribution of outcomes.

if you like the player’s makeup you take this risk. The athletic talent is obvious. Baseball is increasingly a game dominanted by elite athletes. 

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

His dad may have a lot of pull though.

I would think his dad would want what’s best for him: $3 mil and a safer career path, or starting WR in college with a chance to play in the No Fun League with a chance at brain injury when he’s old. 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Just throwing this off the cuff but 4th, in between Canning and Jones.

I'd have a hard time putting him that high.  We've got about 4 or 5 guys who haven't played yet this year that could jump big.  Suarez, Barria, and Canning ahead of him.  Plus Adell, Marsh, Jones, and probably even Thaiss and Chris Rodriguez right now.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

I'd have a hard time putting him that high.  We've got about 4 or 5 guys who haven't played yet this year that could jump big.  Suarez, Barria, and Canning ahead of him.  Plus Adell, Marsh, Jones, and probably even Thaiss and Chris Rodriguez right now.  

I saw a tweet that put him 11th

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There are still a shit ton of them available...   I'm a bit concerned about the kid's Father being a coach at the school he's got a commitment to play at..  because those guys tend to go play for their Dads..  but he's this year's Jo Adell as far as the guy that did the most to improve his stock

Is there any precedence for a guy turning down as much guaranteed money as Adams would be turning down to go pursue another sport? 

And I'm not talking about Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Dion Sanders types that were already multi-millionaires.

I don't know this kids financial background, but I'm assuming he's not loaded. 3.5 million dollars is a ton of money for someone whose career isn't established yet (obviously)

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I agree with you and it's an indication of how much deeper the farm is.