• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

And I’m not worried about them signing him.  They had to have known he would be open to it. Also the kid and his family would be out of their goddamn minds to turn down 3 million. 

Yeah, if he turns down the money all you can do is laugh at that point and wish him the best. Would be incredibly silly not to take it and run. Unless this is a Manziel situation where the kids family is already loaded

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Is there any precedence for a guy turning down as much guarantee as Adams would be turning down to go pursue another sport? 

And I'm not talking about Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Dion Sanders types that were already multi-millionaires.

I don't know this kids financial background, but I'm assuming he's not loaded. 3.5 million dollars is a ton of money for someone whose career isn't established yet (obviously)

Well, not sure about guys who turned down as much as 3.5 mil to play a different sport -- but there have been some guys that turned down money and ended up getting much much less.   One of them held out three times and last anyone knew he was working in Costco changing tires. 

There is no question In my mind that Adams taking 3.5 mil and going to play baseball is the safest bet he will ever make.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'd have a hard time putting him that high.  We've got about 4 or 5 guys who haven't played yet this year that could jump big.  Suarez, Barria, and Canning ahead of him.  Plus Adell, Marsh, Jones, and probably even Thaiss and Chris Rodriguez right now.  

Barria won't be a prospect in about 3 more starts. Canning, Adell and Marsh are ahead of him for sure. An argument could definitely be made for Suarez and Jones but definitely not Thaiss or Rodriguez. So at worst, 6th.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Barria won't be a prospect in about 3 more starts. Canning, Adell and Marsh are ahead of him for sure. An argument could definitely be made for Suarez and Jones but definitely not Thaiss or Rodriguez. So at worst, 6th.

IDK.  He's way more of a project than Adell.  Suarez and Jones are ahead of him for sure.  Some would put Deveaux ahead who he actually comps to well although more power potential.  I think you're gonna be surprised by a couple of foreign guys and what they will do here soon.  Rengifo  has moved way up.  

I know it's splitting hairs, but I have him 6th at best.  

He could move up to #3 with a strong showing in the AZL.  

My choice would have been Bryce Turang but Adams is a fun (but highly risky) pick.  Hopefully it works out for us.  God knows the Angels are due some luck in a draft. Almost nothing has surprisingly gone our way since Trout. 

I know we have a bunch of good guys.  But I don’t consider those surprises. 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Jones has looked pretty average this season. 

disagree.  Guy has changes positions and dramatically increased his discipline with a 12.1% bb rate which is 50% better than last year.  He's had a poor BABIP by close to 30 points.  He's gonna absolutely take off soon.  He's starting to find his power and has been much better at 2b as of late.  

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

They need to trade Ward  while he’s hitting.  His value likely won’t ever be higher then it is right now. 

I feel that even if he is developing into a big league 3B, the Angels likely will have an internal solution like Cozart, a FA in sight this offseason like Donaldson, Dozier, or LeMahieu, or a trade target in mind and he just won't really have a place beyond being a bench CIF/3rd string C.

Suarez is also likely at peak value, and his relatively low ceiling (which may be start to be re-evaluated) coupled with Heaney and Skaggs pitching well from the left side already could lead him to being bait.

The Angels could start a proposal with Suarez and Ward and likely get some interesting bites in a month or so.

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I don't know this kids financial background, but I'm assuming he's not loaded

and why would that be? 

Before the draft, the experts at Baseball America had Adams going two picks before us to the Texas Rangers. Here's their blurb:

15. Rangers (Kegan) Jordyn Adams, OF, Green Hope HS, Cary, N.C. History suggests that the Rangers are perfectly happy with taking a big hack at a high-risk, high-reward prospect in the draft. Me too. So give me Adams, who might have the highest ceiling of any player in this class. Adams is a two-sport athlete committed to play both football and baseball at North Carolina, and the thought of what he could become once he focuses solely on baseball is extremely enticing once we get outside of the top-10 picks.