• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How Much Longer Until Something Is Done About Calhoun?

40 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I agree you should probably start blaming Eppler a bit more.   He ultimately decides if Calhoun gets sent down or someone gets called up.  

38 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'm not saying eppler isn't to blame for not sending him down. 

You are both wrong. Calhoun cannot be sent down to the minors without Kole's consent. 

22 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You have nothing to actually say, you just question other people's opinions and pass off your insight as superior. 

In this case you are both on the same footing. 

31 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You are both wrong. Calhoun cannot be sent down to the minors without Kole's consent. 

In this case you are both on the same footing. 

I admittedly said I don't know if he can be sent down, so I never actually said send him down. I do know that he can be sat on the bench. As to your second point, I don't actually question peoples opinions. I give my own. I don't copy paste statistics to prove my ambiguous assumptions. I literally just say what I see and give my opinion as to that. So again, your need to call me out for doing nothing more than what a message board was designed to allow is pretty bush league. Keep on keepin on buddy.

I'm not a baseball scout (obviously), but I have to believe EY, Jr. would be more effective than Chris Young or Calhoun at this point.  Would love to see him back up with the big club.  He seems to make things happen and he's easy to cheer for.  Maybe he can't sustain things over the whole season - but he might provide a spark.  I realize there's no room on the 25 man roster for him or even on the 40 man roster at this point, but I'd swap out CY for him.  I'm not giving up on Calhoun, but if he's going to sit on the bench, I'd rather see EY in there instead of CY.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'm not a baseball scout (obviously), but I have to believe EY, Jr. would be more effective than Chris Young or Calhoun at this point.  Would love to see him back up with the big club.  He seems to make things happen and he's easy to cheer for.  Maybe he can't sustain things over the whole season - but he might provide a spark.  I realize there's no room on the 25 man roster for him or even on the 40 man roster at this point, but I'd swap out CY for him.  I'm not giving up on Calhoun, but if he's going to sit on the bench, I'd rather see EY in there instead of CY.

This makes total sense to me. In general i'm not sure what CY is giving that Blash couldn't give you. That move seems very obvious to me.

6 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Calhoun needs to be sent down or benched for a week or something. It’s been a month of below 200 batting average. I am done w him

Did anyone ever get better by sitting on a bench? Well, unless they were injured.

If he still has options, maybe sending him down is not a bad idea.

The fact that Calhoun is still in the lineup and Blash/Hermosillo are still in AAA says a couple things to me.

1. Scioscia believes that Calhoun's struggles will be worked through with reps. If he didn't believe that, then Chris Young would be starting in RF for the Angels right now.

2. Eppler believes that Blash's performance is being inflated by the AAA environment and Hermosillo still has some development left in him.

I hope they're right on number one at least. Personally, I'd have dealt Calhoun over the winter and went with Herm already. He's cheaper, younger, faster, gets on base more and can play the same defense in RF. But watching Herm this Spring, I get the feeling that trading Calhoun last winter would've been premature. Hermosillo wasn't using the whole field, he became pull happy and would've been all too easy of an out for major league pitchers. Herm the past few games has come back and is now dialed in, making an effort to go back up the middle.

It's an adjustment, because he could continue pulling the ball and put up the numbers in AAA. But it would hurt him long run I think. So Herm's sacrificing more of a guaranteed current production for something that will make him better in the future.

But  I think obviously he needs more time to become a more proficient professional hitter. Blash on the other hand, well I think he couldn't do worse than Calhoun right now and would love to see if the power would indeeed play.

Vlad Guerrero was working with him in camp, and he seemed legitimately impressed with Blash and felt that an adjustment in his feet would ultimately unlock that potential of his. 

Right now it looks like Vladdy was right, and Blash should be our starting RF right now.

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The fact that Calhoun is still in the lineup and Blash/Hermosillo are still in AAA says a couple things to me.

1. Scioscia believes that Calhoun's struggles will be worked through with reps. If he didn't believe that, then Chris Young would be starting in RF for the Angels right now.

On that point, Steve Finley says hello.

Just now, Torridd said:

It's strange Calhoun would be this bad. Any theories?

My theory, pitchers have simply found a way to pitch to Kole. And Kole has proven completely incapable of adjusting to this so far.

Adjusting is ultimately the difference between successful major leaguer and bust. Every hitter will slump and every pitcher will search for ways to get out every hitter. But great hitters like Trout can adjust on the fly. Good hitters can adjust but it might take a few games. Guys that don't make it can't adjust. Right now, it's looking like Kole can't adjust. It's looked that way for well over a year now.

Blash on the other hand, judging by him remaking the lower half of his swing is showing the ability to change to succeed. He's adapting.

Kole has tried by using a whole field approach, but that doesn't appear to be working right now. 

6 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

2. Eppler believes that Blash's performance is being inflated by the AAA environment and Hermosillo still has some development left in him.

I hope they're right on number one at least. Personally, I'd have dealt Calhoun over the winter and went with Herm already. He's cheaper, younger, faster, gets on base more and can play the same defense in RF. But watching Herm this Spring, I get the feeling that trading Calhoun last winter would've been premature. Hermosillo wasn't using the whole field, he became pull happy and would've been all too easy of an out for major league pitchers. Herm the past few games has come back and is now dialed in, making an effort to go back up the middle.

It's an adjustment, because he could continue pulling the ball and put up the numbers in AAA. But it would hurt him long run I think. So Herm's sacrificing more of a guaranteed current production for something that will make him better in the future.

But  I think obviously he needs more time to become a more proficient professional hitter. Blash on the other hand, well I think he couldn't do worse than Calhoun right now and would love to see if the power would indeeed play.

Vlad Guerrero was working with him in camp, and he seemed legitimately impressed with Blash and felt that an adjustment in his feet would ultimately unlock that potential of his. 

Right now it looks like Vladdy was right, and Blash should be our starting RF right now.

Blash at the very least could be giving us more than CY. I mean right now are options are Calhoun who is a left hander hitting below .200 and CY who is a right hander hitting below .200. Why not add in a better platoon replacement? Blash imo should be seeing a 60-40 split with Calhoun. If Calhoun bounces back, great he can earn his starting role back, if he doesn't then he can be the "left handed" power that comes off the bench. Although a left handed hitter who cant hit is just as bad as a right hander who can't hit. The end game is production and we need that out of our RF.

6 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

On that point, Steve Finley says hello.

To be fair, Steve Finley was freakin' 40 years old when the Angels signed him. On the other hand, he was better at age 39 than Kole has been at any point in his career.

Like I said, I'd have pulled the plug on Calhoun before our season even started. But maybe Scioscia is right. Maybe he just needs reps.

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

My theory, pitchers have simply found a way to pitch to Kole. And Kole has proven completely incapable of adjusting to this so far.

Adjusting is ultimately the difference between successful major leaguer and bust. Every hitter will slump and every pitcher will search for ways to get out every hitter. But great hitters like Trout can adjust on the fly. Good hitters can adjust but it might take a few games. Guys that don't make it can't adjust. Right now, it's looking like Kole can't adjust. It's looked that way for well over a year now.

Blash on the other hand, judging by him remaking the lower half of his swing is showing the ability to change to succeed. He's adapting.

Kole has tried by using a whole field approach, but that doesn't appear to be working right now. 

It sure seemed like Kole tried using the whole field approach in ST, but as soon as the season started, he fell back into bad habits fast.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

To be fair, Steve Finley was freakin' 40 years old when the Angels signed him. On the other hand, he was better at age 39 than Kole has been at any point in his career.

Like I said, I'd have pulled the plug on Calhoun before our season even started. But maybe Scioscia is right. Maybe he just needs reps.

...or a hypnotist. I'm serious. His mind is in a dark place right now.

21 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

It sure seemed like Kole tried using the whole field approach in ST, but as soon as the season started, he fell back into bad habits fast.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing too. And even if Kole returns to who he was 2-3 years ago, I'd still replace him after this season. We've got done OF depth and I think Herm across a full season is just plain better.