• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How Much Longer Until Something Is Done About Calhoun?

25 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He also hasn't had any sort of consistent stretch of playing time yet, and I doubt Sosh would just throw Blash in RF everyday. 

Kole goes to AAA and works on things and gets a breather. 
Blash gets a well-deserved promotion and an opp to get some MLB at-bats to see if he has turned some corner.
Young gets a shot at some consistent playing time, and either two things happen - he hits more and a Kole/Young platoon becomes a realistic option (Kole won't be in SLC forever) or he doesn't hit, and becomes an easy DFA. 

When exactly has Young hit well?

4 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

When exactly has Young hit well?

2016 (76 G): .276/.352/.453/.850, 121 OPS+

2015 (140 G): .252/.320/.453/.773, 109 OPS+

vs. lefties (685 G): .262/.360/.467/.827, including a .999 OPS in '16.

If Kole gets back to a 'reasonable' level of production but still struggles against lefties, Young *might* be a good platoon partner. I don't think we can really judge where Young is at now with 31 plate appearances and 6 starts. 

Conversely, Blash has performed well in AAA before and been unimpressive in the bigs. I'd love for him to play every day while Kole resets, but Sosh won't do that.

Give both a shot - let Young get some reps to either prove he's worth keeping as a platoon option for when Kole returns, and give Blash enough of a look to upseat Young for 4th OF if Young winds up not hitting.

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

How come Revere isn't in the conversation.   I thought he had s good year last year.

He's on the DL in SLC, and hasn't hit well. He also isn't on the 40-man, and we really don't have much wiggle room there for once.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

He also hasn't had any sort of consistent stretch of playing time yet, and I doubt Sosh would just throw Blash in RF everyday. 

Kole goes to AAA and works on things and gets a breather. 
Blash gets a well-deserved promotion and an opp to get some MLB at-bats to see if he has turned some corner.
Young gets a shot at some consistent playing time, and either two things happen - he hits more and a Kole/Young platoon becomes a realistic option (Kole won't be in SLC forever) or he doesn't hit, and becomes an easy DFA. 

Young hasn't really had a decent season in about seven years. I don't think we should expect much from him.  That said, I'd be willing to try anything in RF besides Calhoun right now.  He is as close to an automatic out you can get.

Edited to add: Young's 2015 season was okay.  I'd take that instead of what Kole is doing now.

2 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

Because we need a right fielder and Revere has a horrible arm.  

I know this is way off topic, but...What was that "throw" to the plate from Upton last night?

It skipped in from deep short and almost stopped before reaching home plate. I can throw better than that!

43 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Young hasn't really had a decent season in about seven years. I don't think we should expect much from him.  That said, I'd be willing to try anything in RF besides Calhoun right now.  He is as close to an automatic out you can get.

Edited to add: Young's 2015 season was okay.  I'd take that instead of what Kole is doing now.

His 2015 was okay, and his 2016 was good. His 2016 was very good against lefties. I don't see him being a full-time option at all, but if he can get back to his career norm of mashing lefties, and Kole can get back to a ~.700 OPS and hit righties, it'd be an okay platoon. 

Young could also be terrible. But I don't think he should be discounted after sporadic playing time over the first month of the year. At least giving him an opportunity for sense of determining our depth.