• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How Much Longer Until Something Is Done About Calhoun?

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm comparing Calhoun to his career stats, which are way better than his early results this year. Trout was just an example of judging someone on small sample sizes.

August 2015 .218 .352 .337 .689  Trout struggled for him that as bad as Calhoun is now.

Youre picking a 3-4 week bad stretch for Trout vs multiple seasons for Calhoun. Come on man, that's laughable. Yes, he's not a .188 hitter bad but you literally cannot compare him to Trout even in terms of slumps.

Calhoun Career Totals:

.261 .330 .426

7 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Youre picking a 3-4 week bad stretch for Trout vs multiple seasons for Calhoun. Come on man, that's laughable. Yes, he's not a .188 hitter bad but you literally cannot compare him to Trout even in terms of slumps.

Calhoun Career Totals:

.261 .330 .426

For the last time I'm NOT!!! Just saying Calhoun is 80 points lower than his career average. I could have pick anyone that was playing way below their norms I just pick Trout, but could picked Stanton or anyone really struggling.

I'm done with this. Just saying I expect Calhoun to trun this around sooner or later. Forgot I mentioned Trout.

2 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I agree with you 100% on this.  Kole should be bunting almost every time a defense plays the shift on him.  Especially with his above average speed and the fact he is struggling so much.  I honestly don't understand why hitters don't do this more often with the shift.

Pride?

I’d be pretty shocked if he doesn’t get a long rope. Like into late June or July at least.  We all know we have plenty of examples of disaster hitters and how the team will deal with it.  Danny Espinosa, Matt Joyce, etc. the list goes on and on it seems like.  These guys were new to the team ! Kole is a veteran guy with presumably a lot of good will built up.  He’s not going to dislodge easily.  Also, I mean we’ve got like 4 + hitters not hitting at all right now.  Thank goodness Cozart finally had a nice game at the plate today.   We just have to hope for the best with Calhoun.  Though it maybe is time to sit him down against lefty’s. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, ThomasSutpen said:

what I find odd about refusing to take the free single with the bunt is that they evidently won't do it because they don't like how it makes them look. But really, when was the last time anyone watched a baseball game, saw someone take the free single, and said 'hahaha what a sissy lol big power hitter laying down bunts lol he sucks so bad with that bunting'. It is more like 'that was a smart play why dont more players do that'. But the players are all convinced it is the former. Baffling.

COLE A POWER HITTER?

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Calhoun's struggle goes back further than just this year. Since the beginning of 2017:

.236/.318/.371/.689

87 OPS+

155 Hits

159 K's 

2018 OPS+ = 25 

This is exactly why I have been thinking out Calhoun.  This isn't just a 2018 issue.  It's been like this since 2017 and there are no signs of it getting better.  In fact, there are signs of it getting worse.

30 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Thank you for pointing out the obvious to the board douche.

Sorry but I did not know if you were talking about Upton or Calhoun.  Upton has been struggling and it wouldn't be the first time someone suggested we bench one of our high paid players like its realistic.  You said LF so it's easy to make my mistake.  Dont call me a douche because your said LF.

5 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

Successfuly Laying down a bunt isn't guaranteed, especially if there is little history of practicing.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/38922/baseball-therapy-bunt-joey-bunt/

Here's a nice article on bunting against the shift. Basically, people who don't bunt are almost as good at getting a bunt down as those who do. They are about 2% worse. Non bunters successfully get a bunt down about 42% of attempts. Given 3 attempts this should be about 81% of plate Appearances. Bunters reach base about 58% of the time against the shift. This would lead to a .470/.470/.470 line. While Calhoun will strike out bunting 20% of the time, he has struck out just under 28% of the time since the start of 2017. 

Since the start of 2017 Calhoun has 46 XBH, 20 of them HRs. They would most likely all be gone. But if he hit .470 bunting then he would have made 84 fewer outs. 3 games worth of outs all by himself.

The article here focuses on Joey Gallo, but it's even more true for Calhoun. He should be bunting until they stop shifting.

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

We need to keep playing him to build his confidence. If Scioscia sits him, it will shatter his confidence.

lol this isn't little league.  Scioscia's job is to win ballgames and playing Calhoun right now is contradictory to that goal.

Angels missed the playoffs by a only a couple games last year.  It's time to take a more stern approach.