• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels move prospect Taylor Ward from catcher to third base

5 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Yes I’ve poked fun at Eppler in a joking kinda way but ..... blah blah

Yes, your propensity to talk out both sides of your mouth is well noted.  Like I said, it's less about the baseball, more about enjoying pissing people off.  You've said as much -- or have you forgotten those comments too?

Doesnt matter..   Go Angels.

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That guy is a fucking idiot lol he proved that further when there was a Q & A with him in this forum. Guy couldn’t use a keyboard.

That was the worst "interview" in the history of AW.com.  Not for lack of trying on the staffs part or fan interest but for the utter lack of coherent thoughts from Wilson ...   I felt bad for Chuck having to post that...

Ric Wilson perfectly fit the Dipoto regime. The type of guy that believes he's the smartest man in the room, while the rest of the world thinks he's a joke and finds entertainment in his screw ups.

Wilson got the axe pretty quickly once Eppler saw him in action.

And you gotta think Dipoto is on the hot seat right now. He's done to the M's what he did to the Angels, which is bloat payroll, bring in a bunch of guys that simply don't mesh, and completely deplete the farm system.

But before he goes, I'm almost certain he'll turn on Scott Servais and go straight to the media with stories about difficult ownership and inflexible manager.

That should secure a role in another front office somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Ric Wilson perfectly fit the Dipoto regime. The type of guy that believes he's the smartest man in the room, while the rest of the world thinks he's a joke and finds entertainment in his screw ups.

Wilson got the axe pretty quickly once Eppler saw him in action.

And you gotta think Dipoto is on the hot seat right now. He's done to the M's what he did to the Angels, which is bloat payroll, bring in a bunch of guys that simply don't mesh, and completely deplete the farm system.

But before he goes, I'm almost certain he'll turn on Scott Servais and go straight to the media with stories about difficult ownership and inflexible manager.

That should secure a role in another front office somewhere.

It really speaks volumes that Dipoto basically destroyed the farm systems of two separate teams.  The Angels had “the worst farm system” that Law had ever seen, and the Mariners are rated the worst as well too.  

Just now, Warfarin said:

It really speaks volumes that he basically destroyed the farm systems of two separate teams.  The Angels had “the worst farm system” that Law had ever seen, and the Mariners are rated the worst as well too.  

But Dipoto has a great relationship with the media, and they'll make sure you know that it isn't his fault, that he inherited the mess. 

Yeah it must've been hard inheriting a farm system with Mike Trout, Garrett Richards, Jean Segura and a whole lot more in it.

Dipoto is a snake.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

And just before that....

Eppler suggested the position move could help Ward reach the majors sooner, because now he will no longer have to deal with handling pitchers.

So, calling pitches, blocking said pitches and worrying about hitter scouting reports during a game stresses him out...... (blue font)...kind of.. That's actually a weird finishing comment to the move of a kid position wise.

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It really speaks volumes that Dipoto basically destroyed the farm systems of two separate teams.  The Angels had “the worst farm system” that Law had ever seen, and the Mariners are rated the worst as well too.  

Maybe, he's really an undercover boss from the Astros.....;)

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It also speaks volumes about his gift of gab that fans in both places placed blame everywhere but at his feet.    Ms fans are making all the same excuses Angels fans did -- ie...  ownership is being cheap.... the previous GM ruined the farm....   he took over a bad situation...  

He's traded out four guys who have gone on to top 100 rankings and the M's two largest payroll seasons have come under JD...  But, it's not his fault...

I was going to add my own "Holy WTF" to the thread, but there's been plenty of that.

Obviously we have to read between the lines, here. This isn't as dumb as it sounds because clearly there was a problem with Ward as a catcher. 

Who knows, maybe they envision pushing Cozart to 2B in 2019, and Ward having a shot at 3B.

23 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

So, calling pitches, blocking said pitches and worrying about hitter scouting reports during a game stresses him out...... (blue font)...kind of.. That's actually a weird finishing comment to the move of a kid position wise.

He doesn't call pitches, those are called from the dugout. And he's developed into a fine pitch blocker with a great arm and plus athleticism. 

Ward's shortcomings were rooted in his ability to establish a relationship with his pitchers. This doesn't get quantified but it's something that Maldonado is the best at. He studies video, he sits down with them, asks questions, picks their brains on everything they like to do on the mound and tailors his in game approach to fit each pitcher individually. Everything from pace, to pitch placement, to mound visits, to talking to them in the dugout.

There's so much more to this job, that Taylor just didn't do.

30 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

He doesn't call pitches, those are called from the dugout. And he's developed into a fine pitch blocker with a great arm and plus athleticism. 

Ward's shortcomings were rooted in his ability to establish a relationship with his pitchers. This doesn't get quantified but it's something that Maldonado is the best at. He studies video, he sits down with them, asks questions, picks their brains on everything they like to do on the mound and tailors his in game approach to fit each pitcher individually. Everything from pace, to pitch placement, to mound visits, to talking to them in the dugout.

There's so much more to this job, that Taylor just didn't do.

Yep, his MATHX (Mathis Factor) was lacking.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

But it's definitely true you were always higher on Eppler than JD.   

That's one of those side order decisions between Okra or Creamed Spinach. Clod doesn't like either but if he had to choose he'd still complain about it. Just not as loudly as the other. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

That's one of those side order decisions between Okra or Creamed Spinach. Clod doesn't like either but if he had to choose he'd still complain about it. Just not as loudly as the other. 

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

He’d continue to complain about the other option even being an option.  

With all due respect jerks!

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

He’d continue to complain about the other option even being an option.  

He's just angry that his favorite restaurant closed and doesn't like the new location or staff uniforms. 

(Let's keep talking like Claude is not here) 

36 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Why?  Thais and Cron will both be solid major leaguers.  

b/c the position of catcher raises the value of a hitter tremendously. We are viewing these players as good hitters relative to their position. If you tell me they would have been 1st round picks even if they had played 1st base their entire college careers then ok fine, but that's some bad scouting. Cron I could maybe give you b/c he did have 80 level power and decent K/BB ratios in college so you can make the argument that he did have a solid bat. His walk rate tanked once drafted and along with it a lot of his potential future value.

And we can hardly call any of them solid major leaguers. Thaiss had a below .400 slg in the minors at a premium offensive position, Cron if he hits his ceiling is Logan Morrison, if he doesn't then he's barely a 1 WAR player with OBP & defensive deficiencies.

You can't treat catcher the same as other positions. Mauer was a potential HOF level catcher but at first base he's arguably a very replaceable bat since the bar is so much higher. Same reason you don't move Posey b.c his hitting while HOF level amazing for a catcher is just solid Eric Hosmer level for 1b. And if he regresses his hitting he can still be a top 10 level catcher, but would quickly become replaceable level at a corner.

Just now, IheartLA said:

b/c the position of catcher raises the value of a hitter tremendously. We are viewing these players as good hitters relative to their position. If you tell me they would have been 1st round picks even if they had played 1st base their entire college careers then ok fine, but that's some bad scouting. Cron I could maybe give you b/c he did have 80 level power and decent K/BB ratios in college so you can make the argument that he did have a solid bat. His walk rate tanked once drafted and along with it a lot of his potential future value.

And we can hardly call any of them solid major leaguers. Thaiss had a below .400 slg at a premium offensive position, Cron if he hits his ceiling is Logan Morrison, if he doesn't then he's barely a 1 WAR player with OBP & defensive deficiencies.

No, you as a fan are viewing these players as good hitters relative to their position.  I am sure the guys that scout them know exactly what they are looking at.  I am not a huge Cron fan, not to say I don’t like him, but in 2016 he was a 2 WAR player.  That is pretty good.  As for Thais I saw enough this spring to think he will be a major leaguer.