• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blowtani

On 3/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, Angels#1Fan said:

Exactly!

If at the end of ST and Ohtani is still struggling then he should be sent down but not a minute beforehand.

People have been pushing the panic button for a week now and it's just too early.

Some here need to just chill out and wait and see what happens.

Shohei Ohtani still ticketed for majors with Angels

March 17, 2018 at 3:23 pm | UPDATED: March 17, 2018 at 3:58 pm

TEMPE, Ariz. — While Shohei Ohtani has struggled to put up the spring training numbers to match his talent, it seems the Angels are still prepared to give him a shot to show what he can do in the majors.

Despite the results he’s gotten as a pitcher and hitter, the Angels are still planning to start Ohtani in the major leagues, according to a source...

It’s all good.  We aren’t talking David Clyde being thrown into the fire at age 18 here.

Ohtani is still racking up the Ks.   Give him time, heck even make him #5 in the rotation to lessen the pressure.  But let him gain valuable MLB experience in season. 

But above all, DO NOT convert him to relief pitching.  Then you lose his bat altogether because of the total uncertainty of a reliever’s schedule. 

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

You just described the 2018 Angels and Anaheim Stadium. Plus most of the ALW are pitcher's parks.

Point is, he's not what his raw ERA would make one believe.

When you have one year of data, and the data shows a dropping K rate and projects an ERA over 4, it's worth some pause.  The upside is he used to be better prior to TJS, so there is reason to believe he's still on the mend.   But he's not the sure thing/savior some are painting him as.   

I'm not anti Cobb, but he's more a of number three than anything else and we have a rotation full of those types.

BTW, it wouldn't hurt you to look at stuff...

Location -- ERA

Anaheim - 4.94
Seattle - 6.29
Texas - 5.79
Houston - 8.82

Only AL west park he's done well in is Oakland.  

Like I said in the post you responded to -- he's been a 4.00 pitcher in neutral parks... so maybe he struggled with travel or something..  We can throw it all out and say it's a small sample in each of those parks but it's been a consistent issue and combined it's not a small sample at all.

15 hours ago, IheartLA said:

You must have a low IQ, I meant top US criquet player moving to play in India because I thought they were #1 in criquet. I picked a random sport. Ohtani doesn't speak any English and the culture shock from Japan to USA is huge. I used an American going to India as an example so people would understand the gravity in change of culture. 

Everyone here is probably an American so they probably can't really relate to the culture/language shock. 

No, it's the Cricket thing. No one understands how the British can take baseball and screw it up more than their cars driving on the wrong side of the road. It's just bloody bang out of order, if you get my gist.

I'm kind of worried about this so-called "great" prospect that the Angels have in Trout. He had weak slash line of .182/.250/.227 entering tonight's game against the Blue Jays and is now hitting just .231/.286/.231 in the month of May, counting tonight's 0 for 2 start already against a pitcher who I  don't even know in Kyle Drabek. On top of that, Trout didn't do too well in 2011, as he had a slash line of .220/.281/.390 in 135 plate appearances. 2012 won't change anything, I'm afraid to say it. Trout's going to be another wasted pick by the Angels. You're crazy if you think Trout's going a 2-time MVP, the consensus best player in all of baseball, and just about a lock for the MLB Hall of Fame by the start of the 2018 season.

40 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

You posted a walk as evidence of his bad at bats lol.

Kid deserves some time to adjust and the season hasn't even started yet, 

This is a long term investment. Even if this year doesn't pan out we will have him when he figures it out. 

Well said.

Right now there are a lot of butthurt and jealous fans (mainly Dodger fans) who are laughing at him being a "bust" right now. Right now, they're having a fun time rubbing it in but in due time they'll stfu.

13 minutes ago, TooCool said:

Well said.

Right now there are a lot of butthurt and jealous fans (mainly Dodger fans) who are laughing at him being a "bust" right now. Right now, they're having a fun time rubbing it in but in due time they'll stfu.

Huston and Seattle are laughing also. Houston fans have said they are more worried about the A's than the Angels.

So it’s apparent we are going to have dozens of Ohtani threads this season based on our lofty expectations of him. I say we pin two threads for him. An Ohtani thread for when he’s good and the Blowtani one for when he’s bad. 

There is no doubt, if he was any other 23 year old, he'd be starting the season in Salt Lake.  Everybody knows that is true.  It won't happen with Ohtani though because there is too much money to make with merch and ticket sales.

He'll most likely be a great pitcher one day.  We just have to hope his trying to learn at the MLB level instead of AAA level doesn't hurt his progress.

9 hours ago, ThomasSutpen said:

I like the not hustling during intrasquad scrimmages take. That's a bigger reach than Josh Allen will be in the draft. Anyway best prospect in baseball and major league ready at 23 - put him on the mound opening day and away we go. Even if Ohtani is completely overmatched at the major league level, so is Pujols and they're fine with him so F it.

I'd maybe start him in one of the Freeway Series games against the Dodgers to see what happens. If he does ok, give him the 6th spot in the rotation...

No way I would start him on Opening Day.