• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SD designate INF Jose Rondon

John Smith

Rondon is an example of "projection" going awry.  Projection is another word for potential.  At age 19/20, Jose was filling into his body, and the general belief in the industry was that he'd develop into a 15+ HR threat while stealing 15+ bases, hitting for a decent average and getting on base.  He wasn't going to be an all-star (though the potential was there), but he was going to be a better than average starting shortstop. 

But none of that came to fruition.  The power leveled off, the great plate discipline he showed early on never got better and eventually was rather mediocre at the upper levels.  He got better as a hitter and fielder because he's athletic, but the finer parts of the game never came together between the ages of 19-23.  

I don't think he's a finished produce yet, because power generally doesn't fully develop until the mid-20's, so there's still a chance for him to reach that level.

But I think the general takeaway here is that projectable tools at age 19 don't always fully manifest by 23.  They usually do in some capacity, but not always.

Would I pick him up?  Yeah, I'd stash him in AAA.  He's a career .290 hitter at the highest level of the minors, and he can play all over the infield.  But I wouldn't bet on him becoming anything more than what he is right now, which is basically a utility infielder.

22 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Their farm system is getting pretty loaded

Their pitching staff in the upper minors is unreal. By the time they're major league ready, Myers, Margot, Asuaje, Spengenberg, Hedges and others will have had a few years to start hitting. 

2020 and beyond they'll be a playoff team.

I’d rather sign a veteran utility guy than rely on Rondon.  He had enough issues playing shorttop, I can’t see how effective he would be at 2nd or 3rd.  If you get to the point of needing to bring a utility guy up from SLC, your bigger concern should be fielding, not hitting.