• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yusmeiro Petit in agreement with Athletics

John Smith

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

Billy should get fired immediately for this stupidity. WTF is he thinking! Clearly shows a high level of incompetence. Ok I’m done. 

wait I’m talking about Billy Beane.

Claude, you do realize Beane runs the team pretty much exactly how you personally want a team ran.  

I don’t want Wood back. He came over with an ERA in the high 5’s and left with one there too. 

Bedrock

Parker

Middleton

I think Cam still has it in him and maybe Ramirez will go back to the pen. I think he’ll dominate there. Paredes might have a big role and the long haired dude that came from Boston was great down the stretch. Billy has a crazy eye for these guys. Have to hand it to Nagy too who must be seeing something they’re doing right and pushing them

18 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm surprised by the reaction here. 

2 yr 10 million seems like a steal to me. 

He made 3.5 million last year after bonuses and everything; so this is only 1.5 million more a year.  5 million a year for Petit is a good deal.  Especially for how good he was last year.

7 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

That was my thought as well. However, I have no idea how many other Petit type pitchers are available.

I wonder how much of Petit's success is due in Nagy.

38 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If you had good reason to believe you’d get 2017 Petit it’s a bargain. I think the consensus is that’s not what you’ll get

Yeah he was fantastic last year - it was by far his best season (at least in which he was used almost exclusively in relief) and it'd be a little surprising if he could replicate it to that level. 

Blake Parker, Bud Norris, J.C. Ramirez, David Hernandez, even Fernando Salas, Noe Ramirez and Blake Wood have shown that Eppler can turn a reliever around so at this point I trust him. Alex Meyer and Parker Bridwell back that up too.

8 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

I don’t want Wood back. He came over with an ERA in the high 5’s and left with one there too. 

Bedrock
Parker
Middleton

I think Cam still has it in him and maybe Ramirez will go back to the pen. I think he’ll dominate there. Paredes might have a big role and the long haired dude that came from Boston was great down the stretch. Billy has a crazy eye for these guys. Have to hand it to Nagy too who must be seeing something they’re doing right and pushing them

Blake Wood impressed me. He had two back to back terrible games but otherwise pitched really well. Small sample size, but his K9 was highest of his career (11.6) and BB9 was halved from his career norm (2.1 as an Angel, 4.5 over his career) so if Nagy or the Angels tweaked something, it worked. Considering they got similar turnarounds from guys like Norris, Petit, Hernandez, and Ramirez it gives me some confidence they can keep it up. 

His two shit appearances aside, he threw 14.2 IP with 4 walks, 18 strikeouts, 13 hits, and a 1.24 ERA, and has ability to throw multiple innings.

Another possible silver lining with Petit signing elsewhere, the $3-$5m he would have cost annually can be redirected to another arm now, like Addison Reed, or help with bats if Eppler can keep pulling off shrewd moves.

9 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

If Eppler had signed him for 2/$10MM, people would be saying "great move."

Anyhow, I don't see it as over the top or a steal. I agree with the view that Eppler likes to craft his bullpens out of spare parts. If a GM has an eye for clean peanuts, which Eppler does, it is the way to go.

Trying to build a bullpen out of spare parts can be risky business. Eppler has had success but not a good formula for contending teams. 

Eppler is putting faith in his young arms which I can’t fault him. There’s money to spend but I think it was too early in the game to commit to 2/10M for a reliever. He still may end up spending big money or trade for a reliever. 

14 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

its going to be tough replacing petit, but i think the reason Billy let him walk was do to the emergence of Paredes, looking at him pitch last year was like petit pitch, they both are similar whit the except of padres having better stuff.  

With an improving Paredes and an Middleton, included to Parker and a healthy Bedrock we may have the best 7-9th inning guys in the AL with Bostons, that's if they pitch to there potential ( Which we've seen)

plus wouldn't be surprised to see Chavez back with us as long reliever.  

That's a real inexperienced pen though, without any real veterans included for stability.   Chavez is meh, need to move on there.   

Will they now try to re-sign Norris, and hope that 2 weeks glitch after the ASB doesn't reappear? 

11 hours ago, Calzone said:

All joking aside those A’s still have a solid top 10 farm system while we are probably still sitting last. That has to change.

After last season's draft, the Halos are probably closer to low/mid 20s in farm system rankings.   Still a waaays to go, but they are on the right path two years into Eppler's time here.

50 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Trying to build a bullpen out of spare parts can be risky business. Eppler has had success but not a good formula for contending teams. 

Eppler is putting faith in his young arms which I can’t fault him. There’s money to spend but I think it was too early in the game to commit to 2/10M for a reliever. He still may end up spending big money or trade for a reliever. 

The only good way to build a pen is to develop those arms in your system.  Eppler hasn’t had time to do this yet, so he’s using his skill set of evaluation to get the job done.  The absolute worst way to build a pen is through high cost free agents, because after you get past the top 3-5 guys in the league, it’s the most volatile commodity there is in baseball.  I know that you weren’t criticizing him TD,  but thought it was as good of post as any to share my thoughts.  

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The only good way to build a pen is to develop those arms in your system.  Eppler hasn’t had time to do this yet, so he’s using his skill set of evaluation to get the job done.  The absolute worst way to build a pen is through high cost free agents, because after you get past the top 3-5 guys in the league, it’s the most volatile commodity there is in baseball.  I know that you weren’t criticizing him TD,  but thought it was as good of post as any to share my thoughts.  

I'd also be interested in trying to develop failed starters. That seems to be quite common these days that mediocre starters can turn into elite bp pieces. I have faith that JC Ramirez can do that.

22 hours ago, Gil said:

Bummer.

It certainly seems that Eppler doesn't believe in spending on his bullpen, either that or the payroll is more limited than most on here are anticipating. With Eppler's success at finding effective pitchers for cheap I can't blame him. Hopefully those successes will continue. 

It'll be interesting now to see if the Angels non-tender Blake Wood and his $2.2 million contract.

Interesting Wiki Resume for Billy!

When Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman was given the authority to restructure the Yankees' front office after the 2005 season, he created a professional scouting department and promoted Eppler to serve as its director.[4][6] In that role, Eppler and his staff were responsible for scouting acquisitions, which led to the signings of Bartolo Colón, Eric Chavez, Cory Wade, Freddy García, Russell Martin, Andruw Jones, and Luis Ayala.[7] He was promoted to Assistant General Manager during the 2011–12 offseason.[8]

Eppler is well versed in the statistics of baseball, using them to sign Edwar Ramírez out of independent baseball.[9] In 2011, Eppler interviewed for the general manager opening for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was one of the finalists for the position, which went to Jerry Dipoto.[10] In August 2014, he interviewed to be the general manager for the San Diego Padres,[2] but the Padres hired A. J. Preller.[11] When the Arizona Diamondbacks fired Kevin Towers as their general manager in September 2014, Eppler was one of the five candidates they identified as a potential replacement.[12] Eppler declined to interview for the position,[13] and the Diamondbacks chose Dave Stewart.[14]

In 2015, following Dipoto's resignation, Eppler again interviewed with the Angels for their general manager position.[15] The Angels hired Eppler as their general manager on October 4,[16] signing him to a four-year contract.[17] Later in October, the Angels lost front office executives Matt Klentak, Tim Bogar, and Scott Servais, who were hired by other organizations.[18] Eppler developed his own analytics department, and brought some executives, including special assistant Eric Chavez, to the Angels from New York.

My follow up to your Question and how its relevant to answering yours.... 

NYY - in the FO from 2005-2012 ..... Notablt CLOSERS and Bullpen for NYY~

2005 - Mariano Rivera 10.5M & Flash Gordon 3.75M + Rookies & Scrubs = 14.25M

2006 - Mariano Rivera 10.5 + scrubs

20013 -  Mariano 10M, Robertson 3.75M & JOBA 1.375M and others = 15M

So, by looking he's always been a part of an FO that had the expensive closer bully piror to getting here (which we had in Street 10M under contract though he was hurt).... So, I believe he is going after a serious CLOSER and then back fill with the under 4M and lower salaried guys! And play the option to Salt Lake train **Hot HAND** like last year.

Might see us go after a Andrew Miller, Wade Davis or a Greg Holland.

***EDIT***

Now with Jim Johnson added in that's 5M

So, you bring in a top Closer from above (Miller, Davis, Holland) 15M + Johnson 5M + everyone else BedRock, etc.. 25M?

1 hour ago, ThomasSutpen said:

Allow me to provide a little more context to what the Angels just lost to the A's. From 2004 to 2008, his age 28 to 32 seasons and his absolute prime as a reliever, Scot Shields averaged 84 IP and a 3.11 ERA and a 9.1 K/9. In his single best season in that span he had a 2.75 era. Petit just threw 87 IP out of the bullpen for a 2.87 ERA and 10.0 K/9. The Angels essentially just let Scot Shields in his prime walk ostensibly because 10 mil for 2 years was too much to stomach. And I think any Angels fan of any longevity can understand that 'oh well, our GM has a good eye for under the radar talent' isn't exactly the most reassuring stance when you're looking at replacing prime Scot Shields.

That's an interesting comparison since Scot Shields was awful in his age 33 and 34 seasons before retiring. The A's just signed Petit for...his age 33 and 34 seasons.

4 hours ago, ThomasSutpen said:

Allow me to provide a little more context to what the Angels just lost to the A's. From 2004 to 2008, his age 28 to 32 seasons and his absolute prime as a reliever, Scot Shields averaged 84 IP and a 3.11 ERA and a 9.1 K/9. In his single best season in that span he had a 2.75 era. Petit just threw 87 IP out of the bullpen for a 2.87 ERA and 10.0 K/9. The Angels essentially just let Scot Shields in his prime walk ostensibly because 10 mil for 2 years was too much to stomach. And I think any Angels fan of any longevity can understand that 'oh well, our GM has a good eye for under the radar talent' isn't exactly the most reassuring stance when you're looking at replacing prime Scot Shields.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

That's an interesting comparison since Scot Shields was awful in his age 33 and 34 seasons before retiring. The A's just signed Petit for...his age 33 and 34 seasons.

Interesting... If Trolldaddy or myself replied to a post like this from TDAWG he would had said we were trolling him......

34 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Interesting... If Trolldaddy or myself replied to a post like this from TDAWG he would had said we were trolling him......

Reading comprehension is hard. 

He said we just essentially let Scot Shields in his prime walk. Petit is 33 in 2018. When Scot Shields was 33 he was not in his prime. He was injured and awful. Then he was even worse at age 34 before retiring.

Hence why I said that was an interesting comparison.