• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yusmeiro Petit in agreement with Athletics

John Smith

25 minutes ago, totdprods said:

@Jeff Fletcher, any scoop as to how aggressive the angels were on retaining Petit? Was the cost too high in money or years? Athletics just beat them to the punch?

Curious if missing out on him caused the Angels to move quicker on Johnson or if they had intended on getting extra int'l money all along.

I asked. He wouldn’t say. 

My bet is they just didn’t want to pay for his career year when he’s not likely to repeat it. $10M is a lot to commit for a reliever like him. 

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Reading comprehension is hard. 

He said we just essentially let Scot Shields in his prime walk. Petit is 33 in 2018. When Scot Shields was 33 he was not in his prime. He was injured and awful. Then he was even worse at age 34 before retiring.

Hence why I said that was an interesting comparison. 

I should have posted in BLUE FONT!......I was messing with you Tdawg!

On 11/30/2017 at 5:44 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

I asked. He wouldn’t say. 

My bet is they just didn’t want to pay for his career year when he’s not likely to repeat it. $10M is a lot to commit for a reliever like him. 

But is it?  When Ryan Madson gets 7 million and Ziegler gets 9 million, 5 million for petit sounds great.  In the past angels have paid premium for late inning non closers like spier, smith,  etc. I don't get this one. 

Petit was pretty good with the SF Giants -- never understood why they let him get away.

He pitched well for us in a variety of situations.

For the Giants (and, perhaps for us) Petit could be used for a spot start from time to time.

Not sure why we are letting Petit get away to a division rival.

Plus, Petit goes back to the Bay Area where he performed pretty well over across the Bay at AT & T.

Good move by the A's -- not such a good move by our front office. Gotta scratch my head on this one.

Maybe Petit is past his prime - -perhaps - but he's put up some pretty good numbers as some of the prior posts reference.

In general, I don’t think there’s much point in analyzing relief moves too closely. It’s so hard to predict who is going to be good. 

I think just saying you aren’t going to spend much money on any relievers, period, isn’t a bad way to go. 

Remeber Brandon Morrow was a non-roster invite last year and he turned into one of the best relievers in the majors. 

On 12/2/2017 at 5:17 PM, Erstad Grit said:

But is it?  When Ryan Madson gets 7 million and Ziegler gets 9 million, 5 million for petit sounds great.  In the past angels have paid premium for late inning non closers like spier, smith,  etc. I don't get this one. 

Bud Norris, Blake Parker, David Hernandez, and Petit combined to make 5.1 mil in base salary last year..   I'm guessing the ease of acquisition and costs involved with those moves impacted the Angels thought processes.