• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels explored RF upgrade.

Second Base

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There were people that not only called him the worst 2B in baseball but its worst player...  The Howie hate was real and really stupid...

White guys that make it look easy are called graceful...    Sort of funny how they caught so much hate and yet the team has struggled to replace them.   Same thing happened in Baltimore with DeCinces...   He was cursed by having replaced Brooked Robinson...    It took something like 30 different people to finally replace DeCinces in B-More ..  and I think it ended up being Ripken when he moved over from SS.

I'd welcome him back because the dude can fill in pretty much anywhere and has... plus his bat still plays.   Also, I miss the bitching about sliders low and outside..   Just cant get enough of sliders low and outside talk ... or Lasgna talk... 

Low and away sliders weren't as big of a problem later in his career. He'd do a solid job for us, I think.

2 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I'm sorry, but to think the Angels are 8 major upgrades away from being a legit contender is simply moronic.

1b, 2b, 3b, C (Yes dont argue) all need major upgrades, so does the bench honestly.

Also need two SP that can pitch deep into games, and a legit closer.  There's your 8 upgrades.   

You can have mediocrity in 1 or 2 positions, but my god not 7 or 8 of them.  That's if your going for a ring.  If your content with the 2nd wildcard then by all means enjoy yourself.

Just now, JarsOfClay said:

1b, 2b, 3b, C (Yes dont argue) all need major upgrades, so does the bench honestly.

Also need two SP that can pitch deep into games, and a legit closer.  There's your 8 upgrades.   

You can have mediocrity in 1 or 2 positions, but my god not 7 or 8 of them.  That's if your going for a ring.  If your content with the 2nd wildcard then by all means enjoy yourself.

If you think catcher needs an upgrade after how important Maldonado was to the team's defense and success of the pitching staff last year, there is really nothing further to discuss because you have no idea what you are talking about.

47 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Not just upgrades, Uptons and Greinkes.

Upton is avg one year, and great the next.  He's not a 5 war player every year.  You did know that I hope?  I was saying 5 or 6 - 3 war players which is what Upton has averaged over his career.

Angels need a legit ace that can go deep into games.  Greinke kinda fits that description.  Not sure why your being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

The Angel front ooffice would argue with you at catcher.  The sports writers would argue with you regarding the defensive performance at catcher.  And catcher is a defensive first position.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Considering Upton was an all star last year that means we would have all stars at CF, LF, 3b, 2b, and catcher along with best defensive player at SS.

I hope that would put us into contention.

Ome thing i will say about upton is that as pleased as i am with aquiring him, and locking him up (best aquisition weve had in years), we still need major upgrades. 

Im ok with cron. Im ok will calhoun (who could rebound nicely and be one of our more valuable bats). Having both is kind of a problem, imo. If say we have them both repeat 2017 next year, were gonna struggle to score. And its not their fault. Its alberts. And maldonados. And the holes at 2B and 3B.

So unless we blow past our spending cap and hire legit studs at 3B and 2B, were hoing (just my opinion) to striggle a bit scoring wise because the only bats after trout and upton are cron and kole. Simmons im gonna wait and see if he can repeat, and if we stay with valbuena, not sure what to expect.

Long story short, i hope we dont look at this as "we got upton, now we can go cheap fixing our other holes".

It always makes me chuckle when i read some of the obscure names from yesterday people mention here sometimes. But its sad how many forgettable guys weve had here the last 3 or so years. 

We went from having a pretty stable roster to musical chairs. I was talking with a friend a while back about who is left from the 14 team. All i can think of is richards, skaggs, kole, trout and pujols...thats pretty insane for 3 years later.

Edit, cron?

4 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

so what's your budget for this billion dollar fantasy team?

keep in mind that most of us don't want to pay $200 to go to a game.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

If you think we need an upgrade at catcher you are fucking delusional.  Just because you don’t value defense, unless it is being used as criticism against Upton, doesn’t mean it isn’t important.  

I agee with this statement... but I wouldn’t mind a better back up option... maybe Perez fills that role this year tho. 

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

If you think we need an upgrade at catcher you are fucking delusional.  Just because you don’t value defense, unless it is being used as criticism against Upton, doesn’t mean it isn’t important.  

Not only this, but Maldonado did hit 14 homers. I mean he’s not completely useless with the bat. 

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It always makes me chuckle when i read some of the obscure names from yesterday people mention here sometimes. But its sad how many forgettable guys weve had here the last 3 or so years. 

We went from having a pretty stable roster to musical chairs. I was talking with a friend a while back about who is left from the 14 team. All i can think of is richards, skaggs, kole, trout and pujols...thats pretty insane for 3 years later.

Edit, cron?

To be fair, a lot of that change was because we had to make a GM change.  And the GM before Eppler did a really poor job with the direction he was taking this team.  He fooled us all for five years, now we are still paying the price of that hiring.  The ironic part was that he quit, or we might be even further sunken into the depths of depression.  So in a way he did us a favor in the end.

Had Dipoto recognized the poor state of the farm system, installed better front office talent to develop minor league personnel and players, and drafted more wisely, we would not have had to lean so much on the outside to address the weaknesses that now need addressing.

I was thinking about this the other day.  One way that bringing Stanton on board would be to include a player earning Calhoun type dollars in the deal.  I also think that Miami will include one or both of Gordon or Prado in any Stanton deal to offload those contracts. 

I would take on both Stanton and Gordon and their deals, if Calhoun type dollars go to Miami to offset some of what we would take on.