• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels explored RF upgrade.

Second Base

On 11/11/2017 at 10:01 PM, tdawg87 said:

That's...an odd comparison. Maybin has been worth 4.1 bWAR since 2013. Calhoun has been worth 13.2 bWAR. Maybin's OPS+ is 92. Kole's is 110. Maybe in 2012 this would be a fair comp but definitely not now. 

Also Kole is a Ginger and Maybin is a Nice dude.

So...soulless?

On 11/11/2017 at 11:02 PM, tdawg87 said:

You're literally taking out an entire season because it doesn't fit your argument. That's the definition of cherry picking. Plus, you're using a year in which he had fewer than 200 at bats as the start of a trend and I mean come on now.

He's had 4 full seasons and all have been average-at-worst. He's not a star by any means, but he's a valuable player. IMO this is a classic case of NotTroutitis. 

Don't we all suffer from NotTroutitis? Since there is only one Mike Trout, and none of us is he.

19 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

1b, 2b, 3b, C (Yes dont argue) all need major upgrades, so does the bench honestly.

Also need two SP that can pitch deep into games, and a legit closer.  There's your 8 upgrades.   

You can have mediocrity in 1 or 2 positions, but my god not 7 or 8 of them.  That's if your going for a ring.  If your content with the 2nd wildcard then by all means enjoy yourself.

Well, you are wrong, but enjoy your incorrect opinion.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, Calzone said:

Sure Arte signed the contract but not before Eppler evaluated his talent level and what he or his replacement would cost on the open market. I think it was a win-win situation that solves our left field issue and finally erases Joyce, Nava, Robinson, Revere, Ortega, Gentry, Buss, Cowgill, Murphy, Victorino and Shuck.....did I forget anyone?

It certainly looks like Arte is letting Eppler do his job. Hopefully that trend continues. 

I'm hoping that was a facetious question. Hint: the guy's contract just came off the books, so he may not be able to afford the hookers and blow anymore.

We'd all like to have the best player in the league at every position too. There's a'lot of moves the team can make depending on the direction they go in. You can try and get in a year early on a franchise type 3'B, a 2'B that can make a difference on both sizes of the ball for once or an innings eater/back of the pen type arm. Many teams offer many different options. I personally spend the money on offense and the pen.  

On 11/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, Calzone said:

Sure Arte signed the contract but not before Eppler evaluated his talent level and what he or his replacement would cost on the open market. I think it was a win-win situation that solves our left field issue and finally erases Joyce, Nava, Robinson, Revere, Ortega, Gentry, Buss, Cowgill, Murphy, Victorino and Shuck.....did I forget anyone?

It certainly looks like Arte is letting Eppler do his job. Hopefully that trend continues. 

The left handed power hitting DB from Texas?.............

On 11/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, Stradling said:

If you think we need an upgrade at catcher you are fucking delusional.  Just because you don’t value defense, unless it is being used as criticism against Upton, doesn’t mean it isn’t important.  

I do value defense quite a lot actually and I love that Eppler is focusing on that when he acquires players.  But Maldonado's defense is solely based on his arm.  He doesnt block pitches well, and his game calling and pitch framing is questionable.   And when you have a team struggling to score runs as badly as the angels are, you cant afford to have an all defense no bat catcher.  The angels specifically need a guy who can defend well, but not a total liability offensively.  

52 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I do value defense quite a lot actually and I love that Eppler is focusing on that when he acquires players.  But Maldonado's defense is solely based on his arm.  He doesnt block pitches well, and his game calling and pitch framing is questionable.   And when you have a team struggling to score runs as badly as the angels are, you cant afford to have an all defense no bat catcher.  The angels specifically need a guy who can defend well, but not a total liability offensively.  

He just won the Fielding Bible Award and a Gold Glove for his excellent all-around defensive game? He has a great arm, calls a great game, and is one of the top pitch framers in baseball right now: http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

Not sure what you are basing this opinion on but you should question the source(s).

1 hour ago, ettin said:

He just won the Fielding Bible Award and a Gold Glove for his excellent all-around defensive game? He has a great arm, calls a great game, and is one of the top pitch framers in baseball right now: http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

Not sure what you are basing this opinion on but you should question the source(s).

Most people don't have a clue what pitch framing actually entails, they just know it's a trendy topic..  For many, they base their view of how well a catcher "frames" from the CF camera angle and what they believe is a catcher's attempt to steal a strike .vs the guy that is actually framing pitches.   Maldonado isn't a one year wonder either he has consistently been among the best pitch framers in MLB.... anyone attaching the "questionable tag" to his pitch framing has no idea what they are talking about.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I did look up his pitch framing stats and I was quite surprised he was near the top. But who knows how accurate those stats are?   I only say "questionable" because  gameday would generally point out many strikes were called balls.   Although the stats say hes very good,  my 2 eyes and gameday say hes not that great.

And I laugh at calls a great game, my god he is unquestionably horrible at that.  Seriously 0-2 on Jay Bruce, Lefty Skaggs on the mound. fastball inside to Jay Bruce on 0-2, fouled off, fastball again inside on 0-2, homerun.  

Give me a break.

9 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I did look up his pitch framing stats and I was quite surprised he was near the top. But who knows how accurate those stats are?   I only say "questionable" because  gameday would generally point out many strikes were called balls.   Although the stats say hes very good,  my 2 eyes and gameday say hes not that great.

And I laugh at calls a great game, my god he is unquestionably horrible at that.  Seriously 0-2 on Jay Bruce, Lefty Skaggs on the mound. fastball inside to Jay Bruce on 0-2, fouled off, fastball again inside on 0-2, homerun.  

Give me a break.

So you are saying you want to sign Jay Bruce?

19 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Give me a break.

Well, since you have never really said a positive word about the Angels, I will assume you see what you want to see.  Maldonado is the best defensive catcher we have had since Bob Boone.  In my opinion he is MUCH better defensively than Molina. 

Then again, you were upset he won the gold glove because he doesn't hit well, so I am not sure what I hope to get out of communicating with you about this topic.