• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Converted Garage/Man Cave

Lhalo

7 hours ago, wopphil said:

I met with a GC and an architect today. Contemplating adding 475 square feet to my house, along with a pool/spa. Probably gonna cry when I get the quote.

On my list to look into in the summer is getting an addon about 500 sqft and relocating one bathroom.  Hoping it isn't too much.

4 hours ago, Rob Rohm said:

This isn't my garage but I have an Angels fan cave in my game room. The Register took some pics of it last year. You can see the images in the slideshow.

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/07/01/fan-friday-rob-rohms-man-cave-is-jam-packed-with-angels-memories/

wow. can't begin to imagine how much coin you've dropped on all of that but boy is it impressive.

14 hours ago, Rob Rohm said:

This isn't my garage but I have an Angels fan cave in my game room. The Register took some pics of it last year. You can see the images in the slideshow.

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/07/01/fan-friday-rob-rohms-man-cave-is-jam-packed-with-angels-memories/

That's cool that he has the Daily Racing Form from Lackey's first claiming race.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the quote for the work I want to do to my house. Feels like i have been kicked in the balls.

Cost to remodel two small bathrooms: $25,000 to $30,000;

Cost to put in pool/spa, patio, pavers: $70,000 to  $80,000;

Cost to add master suite and expand footprint of dining room, total of about 475 square feet: $130,000 to $140,000.

This blows. You can build an entire mansion in Texas for the xost of this. I was hoping the entire project would be $175,000 to  $200,000, not approaching  $250,000. I am getting the sense, in talking to construction people, that the construction market is buzzing and contractors are jacking up their prices. Almost makes me think a bubble is on the horizon and i should wait it out.

You are talking to a design company that is outsourcing all the labor which they are taking a 30% mark up on just making a call to schedule, then another 30% for placing the materials order. Then comes their fee for just being the contractor license. 

Yeah, you're getting bent over hard. We had two bathrooms remodeled including custom cabinets, tile, granite counter, sinks, toilets, fixtures, electrical  and plumbing work for under $17k. We went direct with the tile instaler, cabinet maker/installer and general contractor for everything else. 

The quote from one stop design center was over twice that. 

12 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Phil, how many quotes did you get?  I have a guy thats a general contractor that's not super cheap, but I agree with Blarg that cutting out any middle men and providing the materials could save a bunch and this guy is cool with that.

I got two. The guy I really like and want to go with first told me he thinks the main addition will run about $110,000, but today he said that after talking to all his subs and getting more precise with his estimate, he thinks the number will be closer to $135,000. Plus another $10,000 for plans and permits. The guy does great work - he did my neighbor's house, and he did a wonderful job.

The thing is, I don't want to concede on anything. I want my addition, my new bathrooms, and my pool/spa. Ultimately, I am probably going to have to give on something.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

You are talking to a design company that is outsourcing all the labor which they are taking a 30% mark up on just making a call to schedule, then another 30% for placing the materials order. Then comes their fee for just being the contractor license. 

Yeah, you're getting bent over hard. We had two bathrooms remodeled including custom cabinets, tile, granite counter, sinks, toilets, fixtures, electrical  and plumbing work for under $17k. We went direct with the tile instaler, cabinet maker/installer and general contractor for everything else. 

The quote from one stop design center was over twice that. 

You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

9 hours ago, calscuf said:

Yeah, I understand.  I suppose if it was me I'd start with the smaller jobs, so it feels like progress is being made, maybe with some stuff done you'd be more content in your home instead of thinking about everything that needs to be done.  

I would also think about what stuff you can get done yourself or with Home Depot Mexicans, like demo.  See if there are smaller tasks you can learn, like for me I now do all smaller drywall jobs, all painting, most tiling, most flooring (except carpet), finish woodworking.  These are things that you can save a bunch doing DIY, or going cheapo Mex.  I would not recommend doing any plumbing or electrical or showers that require hot mops.  For bathrooms buy premade vanities and just have them installed.  They probably look better that way anyway.  If someone is saying you need to build a custom cabinet (not vanity) in any particular space, find a premade cabinet and design the space around it (that will save a ton).

Remember that these folks want to make as much money as they can.  You have to put it in their heads from Day 1 that you are cheap.  I do that yet try to be as polite and cool as I can.  

Very good advice. I am still cautiously optimistic I'll get a high equity loan (which will depend entirely on my appraisal) and my contractor will find ways to bring the price down a little.

14 hours ago, wopphil said:

I got the quote for the work I want to do to my house. Feels like i have been kicked in the balls.

Cost to remodel two small bathrooms: $25,000 to $30,000;

Cost to put in pool/spa, patio, pavers: $70,000 to  $80,000;

Cost to add master suite and expand footprint of dining room, total of about 475 square feet: $130,000 to $140,000.

This blows. You can build an entire mansion in Texas for the xost of this. I was hoping the entire project would be $175,000 to  $200,000, not approaching  $250,000. I am getting the sense, in talking to construction people, that the construction market is buzzing and contractors are jacking up their prices. Almost makes me think a bubble is on the horizon and i should wait it out.

To expand my house, 2 stories, about 1k square feet was a bit over $100k.  That was expanding the foundation, adding 2 bathrooms, redoing the electrical.  So I agree with the overall sentiment that you are getting screwed.

phil, if you want, i can look up comps for you to give you an idea of the appraisal. this way you can have a better idea for your planning.

cals is right about home value. everyone always thinks things like a new counter top or bathroom will add value, but they really don't. the main reason is that when an appraisal is done they only have access to your home and not the neighbors, so assessing value for aesthetics or upgrades is not possible. even a pool doesn't add value like it used to. they pretty much just go by square footage, lot size, and bedroom/bathrooms. the general thought with upgrades is that if all homes on a block were equal, the one with upgrades will sell the quickest, but it doesn't necessarily equate to more value.

22 hours ago, Brandon said:

phil, if you want, i can look up comps for you to give you an idea of the appraisal. this way you can have a better idea for your planning.

cals is right about home value. everyone always thinks things like a new counter top or bathroom will add value, but they really don't. the main reason is that when an appraisal is done they only have access to your home and not the neighbors, so assessing value for aesthetics or upgrades is not possible. even a pool doesn't add value like it used to. they pretty much just go by square footage, lot size, and bedroom/bathrooms. the general thought with upgrades is that if all homes on a block were equal, the one with upgrades will sell the quickest, but it doesn't necessarily equate to more value.

Thanks for the offer dude. A house two doors down from me that is quite similar just sold a few weeks ago, so I have a great comp and a pretty good idea of where my appraisal will come. The key will be whether it comes in on the low end or the high end of the range I anticipate. 

23 hours ago, gotbeer said:

To expand my house, 2 stories, about 1k square feet was a bit over $100k.  That was expanding the foundation, adding 2 bathrooms, redoing the electrical.  So I agree with the overall sentiment that you are getting screwed.

I have resigned myself to possibly going with a different contractor. I really like the guy who gave me the bid and I know he does top notch work, but if someone else who is good can do it for $30k less, I may have to go that route. I am not giving up my pool/spa.

23 hours ago, calscuf said:

I'd also think about the fact that homes in our area have a max sale value.  I don't know what your house is currently worth but if you put $250K into it, is it going to increase in value by that much?  Also, at the end of the day might you just be better selling and buying something a bit better instead of doing all that work on your current place?

I won't recoup what I put in. I figure I'll drop $200k, and the house value will go up $100-120k. But the goal will be to live in the house long term, so I am not terribly concerned about resale. 

• 2 years later...