• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More Thoughts & Prayers

46 minutes ago, Tank said:

the big conflict in all of this is how to reduce the staggering amount of gun violence while still protecting the right to own guns. i don't have a solution for this. doesn't look like congress does either.

Look where the violence occurs. Most of it is in the inner cities. That is a result of their socioeconomic status. I don’t hear politicians arguing on ways to deal with those problems. The gun laws we do have are not enforced. Lock up the assholes that are committing gun crimes. Google “Project Exile”. It made a huge impact on the area’s gun crime. I stated this in my post above but fix the NICS system and the way things are reported. Those are some things that could help

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Marijuana is mostly legal and people still sell that shit to each other illegally. Like I said, if it makes people feel better, whatever

they talk about closing the gun show loophole, but still no action has been taken. I'm probably going to sound like an old white guy now, but let's make this type of sale illegal and then prosecute those who violate when it happens like with the El Paso shooter. lock that SOB up for second degree murder for each victim. treat it like the guy who drives the get-away car for bank robbers.

part of the problem is that our ideological dream of having stiff prison sentences for certain crimes as a deterrent isn't really deterring anybody. is there a way to fix that to the desired effect?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

they talk about closing the gun show loophole, but still no action has been taken. I'm probably going to sound like an old white guy now, but let's make this type of sale illegal and then prosecute those who violate when it happens like with the El Paso shooter. lock that SOB up for second degree murder for each victim. treat it like the guy who drives the get-away car for bank robbers.

part of the problem is that our ideological dream of having stiff prison sentences for certain crimes as a deterrent isn't really deterring anybody. is there a way to fix that to the desired effect?

The “gun show loophole” is the person to person private sale. I’m perfectly fine with making it a felony to sell to a prohibited person. There will always be a black market for guns. Where do you think gang members get them? I don’t think outlawing private sales without background checks is going to make that much of a difference though. 

Just because more than half the country is fucking retarded and thinks divorce is no biggie, kids are more trouble than they’re worth and that screens can raise their kids doesn’t mean good people shouldn’t be able to do whatever the hell they want 

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

The “gun show loophole” is the person to person private sale. I’m perfectly fine with making it a felony to sell to a prohibited person. There will always be a black market for guns. Where do you think gang members get them? I don’t think outlawing private sales without background checks is going to make that much of a difference though. 

agree that this would be a huge thing for some agency to oversee and that it would likely would be too big to run smoothly. I also imagine a lot of people would try to bypass or ignore this new requirement, too.

but I'd still rather have something on the books that makes this type of sale illegal so that anyone guilty of selling to a guy who uses the weapon to commit a mass shooting can also be held accountable legally. that's probably not going to be a very popular opinion here, and I get that.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

agree that this would be a huge thing for some agency to oversee and that it would likely would be too big to run smoothly. I also imagine a lot of people would try to bypass or ignore this new requirement, too.

but I'd still rather have something on the books that makes this type of sale illegal so that anyone guilty of selling to a guy who uses the weapon to commit a mass shooting can also be held accountable legally. that's probably not going to be a very popular opinion here, and I get that.

I think the problem with any new gun law is that the ones we have aren’t enforced. Here in California we have enhancements for crimes committed with a gun or even if you do so as a gang member. The charges rarely stick as most will take some BS plea. Maybe they should lock up the people that are committing the crimes and violence 

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

How do you track a person to person cash sale of a rifle?

You can't. It's very difficult to trace.  However, if it's made illegal then police can crack down on the sellers. Fewer black market sellers, fewer black market guns to buy.  This would significantly hinder someone that can't pass a background check from getting a gun.

So out of curiosity, what percentage of gun owners have committed crimes with those legally purchased guns and when weeding through all these millions of background checks how do we identify the less than 1% that represent a legitimate threat to public safety that would warrant getting rejected? And if they aren't fit to own a gun then what about all countless other things that could be used to do harm? 

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

So out of curiosity, what percentage of gun owners have committed crimes with those legally purchased guns and when weeding through all these millions of background checks how do we identify the less than 1% that represent a legitimate threat to public safety that would warrant getting rejected? And if they aren't fit to own a gun then what about all countless other things that could be used to do harm? 

Image result for UK knife drop off boxes

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/topic-pages/expanded-homicide

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/09/how-many-assault-weapons-in-the-us/

Since the entire focus is on "assault rifles" we'll go with 10,000,000 of them being owned in the US. The FBI reported 403 murders were committed with rifles and there was 15,129 total murders. I guess we will say all 403 were done with ARs or AKs. That's .02 percent of total homicides committed in the US. 51.9% of victims were black and 54.2% of murderers were black. This tells me that our gun violence issues are an inner city problem. We should start our focus there if we want to lower these numbers.