• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2018

John Smith

"Matt Swartz and MLB Trade Rumors have developed an accurate model to project arbitration salaries."

Angels (12)

• Eric Young Jr. (5.163) – $1.1MM
  • Martin Maldonado (5.156) – $2.8MM
  • Garrett Richards (5.148) – $7.0MM
  • Blake Wood (5.131) – $2.2MM
  • Shane Robinson (5.002) – $600K
  • Matt Shoemaker (3.166) – $4.4MM
  • Tyler Skaggs (3.135) – $1.9MM
  • Blake Parker (3.036) – $1.7MM
  • C.J. Cron (3.010) – $2.8MM
  • Cam Bedrosian (2.153) – $1.2MM
  • Andrew Heaney (2.150) – $800K
  • J.C. Ramirez (2.139) – $2.6MM

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2018.html

I don't know if they want to give almost $3,000,000 to a first baseman who's not a very good fielder, and goes into prolonged periods of Mathisesque hitting. There may be steadier options out there with both the bat and glove.

I think they take the gamble with Cam, unless they know something injury wise. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

How dies Heany and Richard get raises while being unable to pitch the last two years.  They got paid while injured.  Why do they get raises when they dont play?

Richards deserves a raise because he's a legit front end pitcher whenever he is healthy. If he could stay healthy, he'd probably be worth 20 million a year. Since he can't, he gets 7. Seems fair to me.

Agree, Heaney is a question mark...but for 800K it is well worth it

24 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

2.8 million for Cron is perfectly fine. Don't know why you guys are making a big deal over it. It's 1.5% of the total salary. Drop in the bucket.

Yeah, there's no way he gets non-tendered. At the very least, he would have some value in a trade. Maybe not a ton of value but would still bring back something

39 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Cron had an .850 ops when he stopped getting platooned.  for every stretch he suck, he carries the team for a week.  

ex - jul 9 - sept 8.  .986 ops

sept 9th - Oct 1.  .522 ops

Would I sign Hosmer and trade Cron?  Sure.  Is he worth his arb number?  Absolutely.  

I'm afraid Hosmer is going to be out of reach.  There seems to be plenty of rumors that KC will try their best to hold on to him, even if his salary level exceeds $20M per year.  There will be plenty of competition for him especially among the big market clubs.  I'm not sure that Eppler will go after the front tier free agent names, I think he's looking for the next tier of player who could turn into tomorrow's top tier players.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

Bye Cam? Are you high?

Also I wouldn't be completely surprised to see the Angels keep Young at $1.1M (they probably will not but as an experienced 4th OF they might).

EYJ might be kept as our bench outfielder, and since he can move around the bases he'd be a key pinch runner for Pujols in late innings.

Cam is a lock to stay.  

I would extend Richards on the cheap if he'd take it.  like 4/30.  

young and wood won't return at those prices.  

they forgot Jose Alvarez.  He'll be in the 1m range and likely a non-tender candidate.  

prob about 25-30 mil overall. 

assuming they don't exercise the Street or Nolasco options, they are at around 150mil.   If Upton opts out, it's closer to 125m.  

Let's say they're going to spend 20+ mil on a player unless Upton stays.  So they've got about 30mil.  

I've got an odd feeling that Calhoun is gonna get traded.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Cam is a lock to stay.  

I would extend Richards on the cheap if he'd take it.  like 4/30.  

young and wood won't return at those prices.  

they forgot Jose Alvarez.  He'll be in the 1m range and likely a non-tender candidate.  

prob about 25-30 mil overall. 

assuming they don't exercise the Street or Nolasco options, they are at around 150mil.   If Upton opts out, it's closer to 125m.  

Let's say they're going to spend 20+ mil on a player unless Upton stays.  So they've got about 30mil.  

I've got an odd feeling that Calhoun is gonna get traded.  

If Alvarez is non-tendered, I'd like to see them give Ege another shot as the bp lefty (if he's healthy), But then again he did have a typical Angel pitcher arm injury of a flexor strain which probably kept him from getting his contract purchased in September.

8 hours ago, ettin said:

Bye Cam? Are you high?

Also I wouldn't be completely surprised to see the Angels keep Young at $1.1M (they probably will not but as an experienced 4th OF they might).

I wouldn't bring back EYJr at that price tag. Good story and had some amazing moments, but there's no shortage of speedy 4th OF types avail on minor league deals during the offseason and even ST, many of whom also come with the benefit of having some youth, upside, and options with them. 

Would happily bring him back on another minor league deal and have him in ST again though and wind up a depth option at SLC.

I don't really have an issue with any of those numbers, they seem fair or certainly about what a replacement level player would be or less.  It would come down to who that replacement was in virtually any case.  

Cam is the hot topic, and ill say this...
He had maybe 5 or 6 really awful outings that literally accounted for 2/3 of his runs allowed, the other 40 were solid.
Paying 1.2 mil isnt that much, and replacing him would cost a lot more. 

Now im on record as saying we should put money into the pen, not the rotation, and i stand by that.  He would be a valuable part of that equation and simply casting him aside over that amount makes little sense to me. 

14 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Richards deserves a raise because he's a legit front end pitcher whenever he is healthy. If he could stay healthy, he'd probably be worth 20 million a year. Since he can't, he gets 7. Seems fair to me.

Agree, Heaney is a question mark...but for 800K it is well worth it

I disagree. He has barely pitched for almost three years.  Its unfair for the franchise to pay his salaries even when their injured and forced to give him a raise when he hasn't pitched.  I don't care what his value would be if he was healthy.  Fact is he hasn't been healthy.

19 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I disagree. He has barely pitched for almost three years.  Its unfair for the franchise to pay his salaries even when their injured and forced to give him a raise when he hasn't pitched.  I don't care what his value would be if he was healthy.  Fact is he hasn't been healthy.

They aren't forced, they can release him or work on an extension.  

33 minutes ago, stormngt said:

For the most part, salary increases for players like Richards or Blake Wood based on service time just as much as performance. 

So neither of those amounts are very surprising to me. 

Cam is worth it - Andrew Bailey got $1m, Salas was paid $3m this year. Cam has options still too.