• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2018

John Smith

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

I disagree. He has barely pitched for almost three years.  Its unfair for the franchise to pay his salaries even when their injured and forced to give him a raise when he hasn't pitched.  I don't care what his value would be if he was healthy.  Fact is he hasn't been healthy.

Arbitration meetings don't happen until Spring Training. The Org has time to hash out an agreement before the hearings. Those numbers aren't concrete. Sometimes injured players take less money on a 1 year deal to build back up their value. I could see some of these guys going this route, and if they perform good this season, the team may want to extend them on longer term deals before they hit free agency.

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

They aren't forced, they can release him or work on an extension.  

Translation their forced.  Arbritration is supposed to reward players under ckub control who have played well.  

I just disagree with the process.  Its unfair to the team.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

For the most part, salary increases for players like Richards or Blake Wood based on service time just as much as performance. 

So neither of those amounts are very surprising to me. 

Cam is worth it - Andrew Bailey got $1m, Salas was paid $3m this year. Cam has options still too. 

You get service time for not providing service.

On 10/9/2017 at 2:47 PM, gurn67 said:

I don't know if they want to give almost $3,000,000 to a first baseman who's not a very good fielder, and goes into prolonged periods of Mathisesque hitting

If you had paid attention last year you'd may have noticed that Cron has greatly improved on defense, top 10 in FPCT in MLB, and can carry a team for a month at a time. If he could play everyday for the entire season (no platoon) he could hit 25+ HR and hit .275BA with .330 OBP which is close to what he did in 2016 when he played 1B on a more regular basis.

Here’s a weird question, but if you had your choice would you rather have a guy that hits .270 every month and ends the season hitting .270, never great always pretty good, but doesn’t really carry a team.  Or would you rather have a guy that ends the season hitting .270, but he’s hot and cold.  When he’s hot he carries the team for a couple different months during the season. 

Leading Angels hitters in 2017 by Month, minimum 60 AB's.

April - Trout BA .364, OBP .443, OPS 1.151

May - Trout BA .2976, OBP .484, OPS 1.280 (Honorable mention, not enough AB's to qualify) Young Jr. BA .455, OBP .500, OPS 1.318)

June - Calhoun BA .324, OBP .388, OPS 0.893

July - Simmons BS .378, OBP .409, OPS 1.007

August - Trout BA .315, OBP .475, OPS 1.105

September - Pujols .290, OBP .333, OPS 0.7223

33 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Leading Angels hitters in 2017 by Month, minimum 60 AB's.

April - Trout BA .364, OBP .443, OPS 1.151

May - Trout BA .2976, OBP .484, OPS 1.280 (Honorable mention, not enough AB's to qualify) Young Jr. BA .455, OBP .500, OPS 1.318)

June - Calhoun BA .324, OBP .388, OPS 0.893

July - Simmons BS .378, OBP .409, OPS 1.007

August - Trout BA .315, OBP .475, OPS 1.105

September - Pujols .290, OBP .333, OPS 0.7223

Cron honorable mention August - Cron .308/.376/.604.981

We can go through stats and say this and say that, it all comes down to what Eppler wants on his roster and right now I'm going to ride the wave with him and see what happens, I think this will be a fun off season for us unless we just go with a mid 30's Adam Rosales, which sadly Arte will probably be dreaming about tonight.

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Here’s a weird question, but if you had your choice would you rather have a guy that hits .270 every month and ends the season hitting .270, never great always pretty good, but doesn’t really carry a team.  Or would you rather have a guy that ends the season hitting .270, but he’s hot and cold.  When he’s hot he carries the team for a couple different months during the season. 

I think we all miss Howie Kendrick and his consistently boring bat.

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Calhoun may well be traded, if they think Hermosillo is ready and Upton is retained and they can get either a 2B/3B or pitching help in exchange for Calhoun.   But they also have to consider that without Calhoun, the only lefty bats remaining would be Valnobuena and switch-hitter Cowart. 

I imagine in any situation where Calhoun is traded, there's someone like Moustakas, Hosmer, Belt, Santana, Neil Walker, Dee Gordon, Jay Bruce, or another left-handed bat incoming.

If Calhoun helped pull in another solid mid-rotation arm, or was packaged with a SP to bring in a package that fills multiple needs, it should be considered. 
If the rest of the roster was filled out legitimately, you could always throw a one-year flier on a Granderson, CarGo, Seth Smith, Melky Cabrera, Franklin Gutierrez, Cameron Maybin, Nick Markakis, Andrew McCutchen, Andre Ethier type on a one-year or salary dump trade and have Hermosillo at the ready should they flop.

Calhoun is a good, reasonably priced player in the prime of his career.  He may have had a slight down year, but  he had what was basically a career low BABIP and is at least a modest  bounce-back candidate.  With a number of problem areas to fill, IMO there is no reason to actively attempt to trade him.  

On 10/10/2017 at 10:38 AM, totdprods said:

For the most part, salary increases for players like Richards or Blake Wood based on service time just as much as performance. 

Cam is worth it - Andrew Bailey got $1m, Salas was paid $3m this year. Cam has options still too. 

On 10/10/2017 at 10:38 AM, totdprods said:

Bedrosian was out of options this year. 

On 10/10/2017 at 4:36 PM, stormngt said:

Translation their forced.  Arbritration is supposed to reward players under ckub control who have played well.  

I just disagree with the process.  Its unfair to the team.

Yes. It is unfair to the team. But the first 3 years are unfair to the players. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yes. It is unfair to the team. But the first 3 years are unfair to the players. 

I don't know, I'd be more than willing to ride the pine for the league minimum compared to what I get paid for a job I don't even like. I agree that the format is unfair for both ends but at the end of the day people play baseball because they love the game. It is more likely you will find more people in other sports playing for the money based on the much easier path to get paid.

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I don't know, I'd be more than willing to ride the pine for the league minimum compared to what I get paid for a job I don't even like. I agree that the format is unfair for both ends but at the end of the day people play baseball because they love the game. It is more likely you will find more people in other sports playing for the money based on the much easier path to get paid.

That's not really a fair comparison. 

The accurate comparison is: Should Ricky Nolasco have made 26 times what Parker Bridwell or Blake Parker did this year?

I believe when Mike Trout got $1 million it was the highest salary ever for a pre-arbitration player. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That's not really a fair comparison. 

The accurate comparison is: Should Ricky Nolasco have made 26 times what Parker Bridwell or Blake Parker did this year?

I believe when Mike Trout got $1 million it was the highest salary ever for a pre-arbitration player. 

I agree with that.  

I've always believed that salaries should be incentive laden. Not in terms of ridiculous achievements but thresholds or tiers that kick bonuses in. For instance if a pitcher would have a 3.00 ERA it has a value and then there's a strikeout threshold.  Contracts for players could be based on scales or multipliers for a certain number of years. It would keep more people hungry and even allow players who kill it and have monster years to be paid as such.  Almost like a end of year "payout".

On 10/10/2017 at 10:04 AM, stormngt said:

I disagree. He has barely pitched for almost three years.  Its unfair for the franchise to pay his salaries even when their injured and forced to give him a raise when he hasn't pitched.  I don't care what his value would be if he was healthy.  Fact is he hasn't been healthy.

To be fair he was injured on the job. If he had been hurt in a pick up basketball game, or parachute jumping then sure...

On 10/10/2017 at 4:36 PM, stormngt said:

Arbritration is supposed to reward players under ckub control who have played well.  

What's unfair about it? The player states the number he feels he is worth and the team states the number they think he is worth. An independent arbitrator decides what the player is to be paid. What is more fair than that?

14 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

What's unfair about it? The player states the number he feels he is worth and the team states the number they think he is worth. An independent arbitrator decides what the player is to be paid. What is more fair than that?

A team invest money in player and development of said player.  That is why they receive the minimum for three years as nd under team control for six.  The arbiter should not reward substantial raises for players who are injured for two and half years and could play.