• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Las Vegas Shooting

6 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

I'd have to imagine an AR's barrel couldn't handle the heat after more than a few dozen rounds.  My AR would practically glow in the dark after pulling the trigger 30 times fast back in the day

Funny you mention that. I meant to post that a few days back. Im wondering if the gaps in fire were due to that. Warping out barrels and double feed nightmares. Those gaps in fire seem wayyy too long to be mag changes. 

For those not familiar, even semi auto fire heats up the barrel immenselly. Rapid fire can actually melt a barrel. (Machine guns always have a spare barrel and a way to swap it out quick for this very reason). And putting rounds out fast in a rifle leads to double feed of ammo, which will jam the weapon. Sometimes you can clear a jam easy, but sometimes youll get like 2 live rounds stuck in the barrel. Pain in the ass to clear.

Maybe he anticipated that, thus the multiple rifles.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Funny you mention that. I meant to post that a few days back. Im wondering if the gaps in fire were due to that. Warping out barrels and double feed nightmares. Those gaps in fire seem wayyy too long to be mag changes. 

For those not familiar, even semi auto fire heats up the barrel immensely. Rapid fire can actually melt a barrel. (Machine guns always have a spare barrel and a way to swap it out quick for this very reason). And putting rounds out fast in a rifle leads to double feed of ammo, which will jam the weapon. Sometimes you can clear a jam easy, but sometimes youll get like 2 live rounds stuck in the barrel. Pain in the ass to clear.

So he probably did train with the bump stock, if he planned that out, along with stockpiling weapons over a number of years. 

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

For those not familiar, even semi auto fire heats up the barrel immenselly. Rapid fire can actually melt a barrel. (Machine guns always have a spare barrel and a way to swap it out quick for this very reason). And putting rounds out fast in a rifle leads to double feed of ammo, which will jam the weapon. Sometimes you can clear a jam easy, but sometimes youll get like 2 live rounds stuck in the barrel. Pain in the ass to clear.

I would guess that is why he had so many guns. Would be interesting to hear how many of those guns were used.  

And you stated previously magazine size is a big issue. I absolutely agree, along with the thought that making the swap out of magazines should be tougher as well, including banning the sale of workarounds. 

18 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

6 minutes ago, red321 said:

I would guess that is why he had so many guns. Would be interesting to hear how many of those guns were used.  

And you stated previously magazine size is a big issue. I absolutely agree, along with the thought that making the swap out of magazines should be tougher as well, including banning the sale of workarounds. 

The double feeds TORS is talking about requires the magazine to be dropped in order to clear it. The 'workarounds" make this difficult and less safe.

2 hours ago, RallyMo said:

That article also said that he tried to rent a room above the Life Is Beautiful fest in Vegas

With those reservations/reservation attempts, thus pop the bubbles of the internet detectives (such scumbags) suggesting that he targeted the country music fest since conservatives were likely to be in the audience. Those fests are lib magnets.

It seems that this guy just wanted to kill people.

He was a true monster.

i'm suddenly wondering if all of us are going to have to be vetted just to rent a hotel room now.

2 hours ago, well_red said:

unrelated but they caught an arsonist out here in the san bernardino mountains using strategically located plate scanners that they deployed when they suspected a serial arsonist.  pretty effective, cool that they set it up so quickly.  just kept seeing the same plate near where a bunch of fires started.

it's great that the technology exists to do this.

it's terrifying that the technology exists to do this.

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

it's great that the technology exists to do this.

it's terrifying that the technology exists to do this.

definitely agree. i'm usually more skeptical, but in this case it was a huge relief that big brother was on our side, because we were having fires at the bottom of the mountain almost every day for a month earlier in the summer.  luckily none took off.  

1 hour ago, AngelsLongBall said:

So he probably did train with the bump stock, if he planned that out, along with stockpiling weapons over a number of years. 

Im just speculating when i say that. But i would imagine he had to of at least a few times.

Out of morbid curiosity id like to see what all rifles he had. Were they all AR style rigs, or did he mix and match? Same rifle (more or less) is easy, uniform ammo and mags (this is why the military and swat teams carry the same weapons, so you can share ammo). But one rifle with lots of ammo is better than 20 where you have to share.

Unless hed learned he would likely face feed and jam issues..

People are speculating he brought so many rifles so he wouldnt have to reload, just pick up a freshly loaded one. That makes a ton of sense. But the gaps in shooting dont suggest that, at least to me. The gaps seem to take much longer than reloads, too. If i were to guess, id say the gaps were people hunkered...and him waiting to see a crowd get up and move....

2 hours ago, red321 said:

So even if he had 1000 ten round mags, he still can cause mass carnage. But, it also at least slows him down.

And keep in mind even if we get rid of slide fire stocks, there are still conversion kits out there that make a weapon full auto. 

I hate to give any credit here, and its more of just lack of a better term. But this guy had a perfect plan.

Elevated, so the distance issues are mostly erased (gravity not messing the balistics too much). Obviously massed crowd, so no need to worry about marksmanship (the people who are asking about scopes dont get it). Hes surrounded by backdrop, so even the cops with rifles are slowed by worrying about shooting into the wrong room. Smart enough to wait for darkness so hes harder to spot...and smart enough to wait until the end, when people are drunker, wont move as fast....instead of being on foot, where the weight of ammo slows him, hes able to set it down, wear slippers...cameras to show him the cops were outside of his room..

Guy had his shit together. Really a situation where nobody but him is at fault. The only thing i can think of that may have helped would have been predeployed snipers (and the media is wrong, this guy wasnt a sniper. He was in a machine gun nest, not a "sniper nest"). But perhaps well placed snipers at the event could have at lesst suppressed him enough to stop shooting sooner, if not hit him outright after he was spotted.