• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTradeRumors: Angels Three Needs

VariousCrap

On one hand, given the multitude of injuries to their pitching staff and Mike Trout’s absence from late May through mid-July, it’s commendable that the Angels hung in the race until the final week of the season. On the other, Trout is now another year closer to free agency and, by no real fault of his own, still hasn’t won a playoff game in his remarkable career.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/09/three-needs-los-angeles-angels-2.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

49 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Nunez and Cozart are interesting options...

I'm starting to think Nunez at 3B over Moustakas, or if I'm being greedy, Nunez for 2B and Moustakas for 3B.

I'd also like to be done with Cron, and move into 2018 with Valbuena as our utility guy. Yes he's hit HR's, but he cannot hit above .200. 

Maybe the Angels give Thaiss a shot to win the 1B job out of ST? At least we'll get some doubles, some HR and a good OBP from our 1B. 

This would be an epic offseason IMO.

2B Nunez

CF Trout

LF Upton

3B Moustakas

DH Pujols

RF Calhoun

SS Simmons

C  Maldonado 

1B Thaiss

-

SP Richards

SP Heaney

SP Chatwood

SP Shoemaker

SP Skaggs, Barria, Ramirez, Bridwell & others to fight for this spot. 

If Arte is willing to spend on Upton (if he opts out) and Moustakas that money that would go towards Moustakas could be so much better spent elsewhere.

Nunez or Escobar at 3rd is fine by me

Trade for Caesar Hernandez at 2nd 

Flip Cron if you can get anything for him.

Pray to whoever that Albert retires and then spend the remaining cash on pitching!

I know it's going to be an unpopular opinion but I'd really like to see what Cron can do with a full season of at bats. 

His walk rate has improved every year he's been in the majors, and this year he has posted his highest career ISO and HR/AB. He did all this despite posting his lowest BABIP yet, at .290. Granted that isn't indicative of terrible luck, but he's probably closer to a .270 hitter than a .246 hitter. 

.270/.320/.470 with 25 dingers is not unrealistic for him. Are those numbers great? Not at all. But it's better than anything else we've got, and I don't think Thaiss is ready to produce like that yet. 

In my eyes, first base can definitely use some improvement, but it's the least of our worries for now. 

Edited by tdawg87

Also, bring back Escobar for third. There's no way any team will give him more than 1 year. So offer him something like 1/6 and see if he'll take it. He's a one dimensional player, but it's obvious the team missed his bat down the stretch. He was pretty solid at leadoff, and right now we've got no leadoff hitter. 

Nunez is also a nice option that I would be fine with. Moustakes has bust written all over him. Unless he gives the Angels a huge discount (Boras client, so this isn't going to happen), stay far away. 

Valbuena still needs at bats. I'm sorry but this team just has no power from the left side. I know people like to shit on him and he deserves most of it, but he has some value as a left handed bat. 

Having Cron, Pujols, and Valbuena all split the DH/1B duties sounds intriguing.   That's 120 games for Pujols (rest aiding him?) and Cron each, and 84 games for Valbuena.

Valbuena can also play 10-20 games filling in at 3B.   Hopefully, that minimizes his defense issues. 

For sure, they need to keep Upton (future DH when Pujols retires), sign Chatwood, and sign a reliever.   What would it take to sign FA Nunez? 

That leaves 2B and 3B (if not signing FA Nunez), with whatever is left under the luxury tax threshold.          

@tdawg87 how does Moustakas have bust written all over him?

Guy has power (38 HR, .523 Slugging Pct.), is a left handed bat and hits (at least for average) as well against lefties than he does righties (.270 vs. .271). 

We need a legit cleanup hitter. Pujols needs to move his fat ass down in the order and unless we keep both Upton and sign a big bat like Moustakas, enjoy seeing Pujols bat in the cleanup position again next season. 

Oh and GOD no Yunel Escobar. 

Yeah i saw that and i liked it for the most part but i have one huge difference in that i dont think we need to blow our available funds on a starter, we have too many holes to fill and an abundance of starters as is.   IF we fill the rest and still have some available, fine, but not as a top 3 priority.

It would be nice to get a true ace at the front of the rotation, but i dont see one in this seasons FA.   I mean Really tell me who in this crop is that guaranteed #1?   The top names are likely Arietta and Darvish and i dont put either of them in the true ace category at this point.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Guy has power (38 HR, .523 Slugging Pct.), is a left handed bat and hits (at least for average) as well against lefties than he does righties (.270 vs. .271). 

We need a legit cleanup hitter. Pujols needs to move his fat ass down in the order and unless we keep both Upton and sign a big bat like Moustakas, enjoy seeing Pujols bat in the cleanup position again next season. 

Career low in BB%, highest K% since 2013, never hit more than 22 HR in a full season before this year (a contract year). Not to mention, he doesn't exactly rake in AL West parks. 

Like I said, if he could somehow be had for a bargain I'd gladly take him, but not for the 6/120 he's likely to get. 

23 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You're giving stats for what will be Moustakas' career year. 38 HRs in a year known for the elevated amount of HRs league-wide AND for someone who's never hit more than 22 previously. I'd rather save that money (because he will cost a TON) and try to keep Upton and get a frontline starting pitcher. Nunez would be a good choice for 3B (or for 2B if we decide to keep Yescobar).

I run hot and cold on Upton...so another idea I've been mulling over...

Trade for Yelich and Dee Gordon (I don't have a total package but it starts with Jones - replacement for Yellich and not needed with Trout in CF and Yellich in RF for years to come, Skaggs plus more) and sign Chatwood or someone similar.

Put Cowart at 3B and let him play the entire season like KC did with Moose for four years...

Gordon

Yelich

Trout

Pujols (he's going to be here no matter what)

Calhoun

Simmons

Cowart

Maldonado

Richards, Heaney, Chatwood, Shoe and Bridwell

Parker, Petit, Bedrosian, Middleton, Ramirez...and fill in the blank...

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

Y'all are OK with potentially four years of <.300 OBP & <.400 Slg. on average?

Because that was Moose in his first four years.

If Cowart can put up a upper .600s OPS and supply GG defense, that's not too bad.

Maybe starting the year as an everyday player gets him into a better mindset for hitting duties?

Cowart with mid/upper /.600s OPS and great defense >>>> Noscobar with low/mid .700s OPS and mediocre defense and base running.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I know it's going to be an unpopular opinion but I'd really like to see what Cron can do with a full season of at bats. 

His walk rate has improved every year he's been in the majors, and this year he has posted his highest career ISO and HR/AB. He did all this despite posting his lowest BABIP yet, at .290. Granted that isn't indicative of terrible luck, but he's probably closer to a .270 hitter than a .246 hitter. 

.270/.320/.470 with 25 dingers is not unrealistic for him. Are those numbers great? Not at all. But it's better than anything else we've got, and I don't think Thaiss is ready to produce like that yet. 

In my eyes, first base can definitely use some improvement, but it's the least of our worries for now. 

i agree, plus he has become a plus defender.