• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels roster could change a lot before 2018

Second Base

Every offseason, teams will assess what went right, wrong, how they can improve and make a game plan. But I think off-season comes with the added intrigue that the Angels may need to face some difficult truths.

1. Power was up all around the league this year, yet Pujols' power was down. His everything was down. It is beginning to be evident that Albert's ride into the sunset won't be a pleasant, gradual one, but rather a steep cliff. This is something that will need to be addressed, because DHing to save his feet and legs doesn't solve the problem of age.

2. Our insurance player, our answer at 3B next year, the guy that will help balance our lineup, Luis Valbuena, is not a full time player. He isn't even a platoon partner anymore. Valbuena is a bat off the bench.

3. Our long term answer at 3B, Kaleb Cowart still can't hit major league pitching.

4. CJ Cron still hasn't proven that he's ready to be a starting 1B. At first it was that he didn't get the opportunity, then it was that he got hurt, then it was platooning....but I think now we've reached the point where we need to wonder if Cron will ever be more than a .270 20 HR hitter.

5. We still haven't solved 2B. This is three years now.

6. Unless Upton comes back, we won't have a functioning middle of the order. Knowing this, his agent can probably milk a couple more years and 20 million more.

7. We struck gold with Petit, Parker, Norris and Middleton this year, but can we expect the same fortune from Paredes and whoever else Eppler digs up?

8. We still don't have any offense coming from catcher, which only further necessitates the addition of more bats.

9. Rolling our dice with Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano and Shoemaker has burned us before. There's a fair amount of skepticism surround Bridwell's performance, we traded away our closest option to the majors in Grayson Long. The Angels need a steadying presence in the rotation, but not one with the lack of quality that Nolasco and Chavez have delivered.

We might be in contention, but we also have a lot of needs.

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Every offseason, teams will assess what went right, wrong, how they can improve and make a game plan. But I think off-season comes with the added intrigue that the Angels may need to face some difficult truths.

1. Power was up all around the league this year, yet Pujols' power was down. His everything was down. It is beginning to be evident that Albert's ride into the sunset won't be a pleasant, gradual one, but rather a steep cliff. This is something that will need to be addressed, because DHing to save his feet and legs doesn't solve the problem of age.

2. Our insurance player, our answer at 3B next year, the guy that will help balance our lineup, Luis Valbuena, is not a full time player. He isn't even a platoon partner anymore. Valbuena is a bat off the bench.

3. Our long term answer at 3B, Kaleb Cowart still can't hit major league pitching.

4. CJ Cron still hasn't proven that he's ready to be a starting 1B. At first it was that he didn't get the opportunity, then it was that he got hurt, then it was platooning....but I think now we've reached the point where we need to wonder if Cron will ever be more than a .270 20 HR hitter.

6. Unless Upton comes back, we won't have a functioning middle of the order. Knowing this, his agent can probably milk a couple more years and 20 million more.

7. We struck gold with Petit, Parker, Norris and Middleton this year, but can we expect the same fortune from Paredes and whoever else Eppler digs up?

8. We still don't have any offense coming from catcher, which only further necessitates the addition of more bats.

9. Rolling our dice with Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano and Shoemaker has burned us before. There's a fair amount of skepticism surround Bridwell's performance, we traded away our closest option to the majors in Grayson Long. The Angels need a steadying presence in the rotation, but not one with the lack of quality that Nolasco and Chavez have delivered.

This is a somewhat pessimistic opinion, yet I think it accurately represents a sort of worst-case picture. 

Upton is key - they can't let him go. If they need to add on another year and 25 mil, they should do so.

A solid, reliable, number 2 or 3 starter is equally important.  This will be hard to get.

A legit second baseman or third baseman is necessary. Moustakas probably makes a lot of sense. 

Pujols is done. If he weren't making $25 mil, he'd have been released. The fact that he is still not only on the roster, but occupying a prime lineup spot, is just stupid.

13 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

With plenty of cash and some cost surety in the rotation they have plenty of flexibility this winter. Could be 6 new position players around Trout and Simmons

I think you're right. Cron has been productive since late June, so he'll stay at 1B. But we'll have a new 2B, 3B, UTIF, and some insurance options at DH for Pujols and Cron.

5 minutes ago, wopphil said:

This is a somewhat pessimistic opinion, yet I think it accurately represents a sort of worst-case picture. 

Upton is key - they can't let him go. If they need to add on another year and 25 mil, they should do so.

A solid, reliable, number 2 or 3 starter is equally important.  This will be hard to get.

A legit second baseman or third baseman is necessary. Moustakas probably makes a lot of sense. 

Pujols is done. If he weren't making $25 mil, he'd have been released. The fact that he is still not only on the roster, but occupying a prime lineup spot, is just stupid.

I'm not convinced Upton is key. He's coming back. If Arte has to throw another year and an option into his deal, then do be it.

The key will be in finding a proper leadoff hitter and clean up hitter. Probably Cesar Hernandez and Mike Moustakas.

17 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I'm still saying non on Moustakas. Hernandez would be nice but I don't see Mous being any more productive than Valbuena plus a platoon partner just a ton more expensive

Then you are nuts.  He is way more productive than Valbuena.  That said, the Yanks need a 3B and I think they go after Mous.

But the big problem is Valbuena getting a $2.5 Mil raise and if we do try to trade him who is going to want to suck up $8 Mil for a guy who is batting under the Mendoza line. Granted the guy has hit over 20 homers this season, if they can't unload him I think he will be our third base player next season. But I do agree we need another second baseman then decline club options on Nolasco and Street and search for pitching depth.

CJ Cron is going to hit 30 homeruns if he ever gets a full season of AB's.  He's gotta be healthy and if so he's gotta be penciled in every night.  If he gives us .260 and 30 HR, I have no earthly idea what you're complaining about.  

He's going to end up salvaging a pretty decent season this year.  Despite the early struggles.

Upton is the key to this teams off season.  

6 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

CJ Cron is going to hit 30 homeruns if he ever gets a full season of AB's.  He's gotta be healthy and if so he's gotta be penciled in every night.  If he gives us .260 and 30 HR, I have no earthly idea what you're complaining about.  

He's going to end up salvaging a pretty decent season this year.  Despite the early struggles.

Upton is the key to this teams off season.  

EXACTLY. everything depends on what Upton does is the route we take.

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

With plenty of cash and some cost surety in the rotation they have plenty of flexibility this winter. Could be 6 new position players around Trout and Simmons

Make that 5 new position players.

Machete slumped in the 2nd half, but how much of that was a much bigger workload than ever before? Now he's prepared for it in 2018, and does supply power at the plate.   And of course, has very few peers working behind the plate.

Pitching, pitching, pitching

Leadoff hitter (that can play 2B or 3B)

Get Upton under contract

More pitching

Players that shouldn't be on the team next year realistically (Pujols will be there): Pennington, Phillips (old), Valbuena (dump him if possible), Nolasco, Scribner, Chavez, Norris, Alvarez

an actual Left handed reliever would be nice.

We also need pitching

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Make that 5 new position players.

Machete slumped in the 2nd half, but how much of that was a much bigger workload than ever before? Now he's prepared for it in 2018, and does supply power at the plate.   And of course, has very few peers working behind the plate.

I’m not advocating anything in particular. Just pointing out possibilities. Those two seem like the only sure bets to be here next year 

We need 2 starters IMO despite our perceived "Depth". Also, I'd love for us to somehow keep Upton. He's been great. Maybe Pujols will have a vision from God and retire to travel the world helping others or something? I know he's involved in quite a few good programs already. 

And I definitely don't feel like we've struck gold with Middleton. 

6 hours ago, Glen said:

Pujols will be the DH until at least the ASB next season. At least.

If the Angels continue to have Albert starting at DH then they're not serious about winning a championship anytime soon. Getting Albert to 3000 hits should not be the organizations priority. 

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Actually think this is quite a realistic list...Angels have holes and question marks as any .500 team would.

Of the list I think the Angels will prioritize bringing back Upton, trading for a 2B to bat leadoff and adding starting and relief pitching depth.

Trout, Pujols (sadly), Simmons, Calhoun and Maldonado are locks.

As much as I dislike Valboner I think they'll put him at 3B next year.

With bench players I think they will replace Pennington with Cowart and try to bring back Revere as 4th OF.  Either Graterol or Perez will be the backup C.

I'm ok with Cron for 2018 at least...can't replace the entire roster in one year and he's been better since starting every day and his D has improved a lot.

Have to count on Richards, Skaggs (if not traded for 2B?), Heaney, Shoe and Bridwell and Ramirez - there's no other way.  Don't see adding an Upton type LF and a front line pitcher - are there enough $$$'s available to stay under the cap.  More starting depth needed though since there's none in the farm system.

The bullpen should be solid with Parker, Petit, Bedrosian, Middleton....etc. but Eppler will add more depth.  A lefty would be great.

Basically I don't think the Angels will do a huge roster overturn.  If starting pitching had been healthier this year they would have been the 2nd WC without a doubt.

They're a long ways from being a Cleveland, Boston, Washington, LAD or Houston though and the Pujols contract will keep them there too.

12 hours ago, wopphil said:

give him a shot next year.  Let  him get 3000 hits, but if he isn't improving by then its time to have a talk with him about retiring.  If he insists than he may need the embarrassment of being benched!

12 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think you're right. Cron has been productive since late June, so he'll stay at 1B. But we'll have a new 2B, 3B, UTIF, and some insurance options at DH for Pujols and Cron.

Cowart should probably get the UTIF position.  It would be nice that mid summer Upton can move to DH and Pujols retires.  I like Revere as a platooon player.  

I think just moving Pujols down in the lineup, and even using other DH's, giving him only 4-5 games a week, will be enough to entice him to retire.  He will not allow himself to be a part time player.  So I think if Scioscia can man up and do this in 2018, Pujols won't be back in 2019.