• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Embarrassing: Pujols 6 man outfield shift

TroutBaseball

At one point in the game the Astros had 6 men in the outfield against Pujols. They moved 2B, SS, and 3B onto the grass.  No SS has ever played as far back as Correa against Pujols.  Fletcher pointed out that the shift forces Albert to run harder because the plays are closer.  If other teams are going to force him to run there's no way he plays out this contract.

Does anyone know if the Angels have insurance on his contract?  If he's permanently on the DL can they recoup some cost?

I have no idea regarding your last question, but there is no way Pujols can't be embarrassed by that play.  Heck, I was embarrassed for him.  I can't imagine any team not shifting like that against him from now on.  It is the perfect way to play him at this point in his career.

I was listening to the radio broadcast and it was like a little kid's birthday balloon popped. Pujols sharp grounder by the third baseman!...and Correa throws him out from short left field.....

you could picture Langston biting his lip as he was holding back the..."oh man, that's kind of embarrassing comment"

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

When a hitter has the exaggerated crouch at the plate that he has had  for 17 MLB seasons, and carries the weight that he carries, it's no surprise his knees and feet are totally done.

It's too bad that Arte and Dipussy didn't think about this 6 years ago.

There are a lot of reasons to rip on the signing...his crouch at the plate is not one of them

He's not going to run any harder, it's not like that play was even close...and it wasn't one hopper to SS. You can jog out a grounder to short left field just as easily as a normal 10 hopper to SS.

The Astros are more extreme than most teams...I wouldn't expect this to be an every at bat thing. If Pujols is up with nobody on (and in this case it looks like there was 2 outs) when he's more inclined to try and drive the ball...sure...maybe. But runners on base, scoring position where Pujols has shown he's willing to take the ball the other way. Probably not.

Edited by red321