• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire 2B Brandon Phillips from Braves for C Tony Sanchez

Well we've improved our chances of making the playoffs today. It might not have been pitching but our offense is much improved. We still have more RH hitters than I'd like but the remainder of the season is going to be interesting  and I hope these moves put us over the top in the wild card.

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Right now in a one game playoff, it would probably be bridwell....hes been great, but in that atmosphere id rather have more experience.

If Heaney can continue to throw his curve ball for strikes like in his last start, the rest of September he might be a candidate to pitch that one game wild card play in. It's too early to tell who will have the hot hand come post season.

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Verlander has an entire career of success.  I asked you to look at his most recent year, and his last ten starts.  That isn't exactly cherry picking. 

Completely ignoring the truth won't help your argument either. 

Angels signed a first baseman who also had an entire career of success.  I am not convinced that it has worked out as planned.

11 hours ago, eaterfan said:

The point is that Verlander is at the age where the excuses become more and more and you have to squint harder and harder to make his numbers look like they used to. He's still owed a lot of money.

Two years with a team option year isn't bad though.   Astros made a good acquisition.   Those prospects were seeing a tough lineup to crack anyway, one without much aging in it.

He's been dominant his past 9 starts (sub 2.50 ERA).

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It's a shame he will likely either retire or go back to Atlanta after the season.   Otherwise, he would be a good 1 year option for 2018.

Not sure I'd rule out 2018....if he really enjoys his time this month (and hopefully into October), since you're only talking about one year, he might be ok with it....obviously it would also depend on what Eppler thinks his options are at 2b....if he has something more long term in mind, you probably don't consider Phillips on a one year deal, even if he really enjoys his time with the team and would like to stay.....

11 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Look at his last 10 starts.  Look at his last 5 starts.  Look at his last year numbers.  Verlander is a freakin' awesome pitcher and is as effective as he's ever been.  Just because he's going to our rival and the Angels won't get him doesn't mean I'll lesson who he is, what he's done and what he's currently doing right now.

But that's fine.  We'll put Richards or Heaney against him in the ALDS and cruise to the Pennant. 

+1 to the first thing

I wouldn't put it past GRich and Heaney to pitch well in a one game WC though.

As promised. I  now mostly retract my frustration with a 36 year old acquisition since it  basically did not cost  anything.

I cannot retract it 100% until I see that Cowart is still an Angel next year and that Phillips is not his "permanent replacement"  after Cowart is soon traded.

With Simmons as a notable exception, I have this fantasy that the Angels will someday  acquire position players who are under 30.

19 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

It's a shame he will likely either retire or go back to Atlanta after the season.   Otherwise, he would be a good 1 year option for 2018.

Anyone remember his bro playing in the org?   Always had some promise, but wasn't able to get to the bigs.

I have to google that one.  The only players I remember that had the last name "Phillips" in the organization were Tony "Ivanhoe Motel" Phillips and former 1B prospect J.R. Phillips.

21 hours ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

As promised. I  now mostly retract my frustration with a 36 year old acquisition since it  basically did not cost  anything.

I cannot retract it 100% until I see that Cowart is still an Angel next year and that Phillips is not his "permanent replacement"  after Cowart is soon traded.

With Simmons as a notable exception, I have this fantasy that the Angels will someday  acquire position players who are under 30.

How often are players under 30 even available? Most free agents will be at least 29-30 when they hit the market, and if they're younger you can expect to pay a ridiculous price (See Jason Hayward). 

41 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

How often are players under 30 even available? Most free agents will be at least 29-30 when they hit the market, and if they're younger you can expect to pay a ridiculous price (See Jason Hayward). 

That's a really good point.  Teams jump through hoops and generally overpay if you're a free agent under 30.