• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols is the worst player in baseball (technically)

krAbs

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I just read the rest of your post and agree. The seat prices aren't a factor of salaries. It's econ 101. Arte charges to optimize his profits - not necessarily the highest prices.

If seat prices were a function of salaries, then UCLA games would be $5 a ticket and usc games would be $120 

fixed 

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

How the F did you do that?  And what are the lotto numbers?

@zenmaster did the same exact thing last month. Before a game in Toronto, he said, "Pujols will have two bombs today." Sure enough ...

People need to start unintentionally predicting he'll hit two HRs before every game.

28 minutes ago, Taylor said:

@zenmaster did the same exact thing last month. Before a game in Toronto, he said, "Pujols will have two bombs today." Sure enough ...

People need to start unintentionally predicting he'll hit two HRs before every game.

I think mine was while he was on some 0 for 26 slump or something too. I had a vision after some bad, late night street tacos. 

This isn't just Scioscia. This also is Eppler:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-report-20170626-story.html

Keep in mind that what managers and general managers say to the media might not always be what they're saying behind closed doors. Most management types avoid any public comments that could embarrass a player. That said, actions speak louder than words.

And Jeff is 100% correct about the direction in which media coverage is heading. As teams and leagues increasingly control their own media -- the Angels and Dodgers each own all or part of their TV and radio stations, and they have websites and growing social media followings -- they're keeping more of the access for themselves, breaking their own news and putting their own spin on it. The Dodgers are the best team in baseball, and on most days there are two independent reporters covering them, even as the clubhouse is crowded with employees of the team, mlb.com, SportsNet LA, etc. 

The team media provide another vehicle to sell tickets and T-shirts. The team media can't criticize ownership or management -- see this week's Deadspin story about how mlb.com sanitized a column originally critical of the Rangers' actions in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. The Dodgers' team media doesn't mention how half of LA does not see the games on TV.  

The casual fans don't much care: just tell them who won and if Mike Trout hit a home run. Ultimately, it will be the hardcore fans (all of you) that determine whether independent media remains viable. Unfortunately, that means paying -- for the Times, for the Register, for the Athletic, whatever. And, for that hard-earned money, you should get coverage responsive to your interests and questions. We'll see how this plays out.

And, ICYMI, Pedro Moura has addressed how much it matters that Pujols hits third, and the analytics responsive to that question:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-mailbag-20170828-story.html

13 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Oh, I agree it will change. But I don't think it's going to change the way you think it is. 

If you believe there will be some world in which the Angels grant more access to Scioscia so regular people can hold him accountable directly, I don't see what the financial incentive would be for them to do that. The vast majority of ticket-buying fans and TV viewers are far less questioning and critical than you guys here. They just wanna have a good time and see fireworks. 

I don't think there are enough people like you out there to say "you're going to lose my business if you don't provide me better answers" for them to feel any motivation to be more open than they are. 

Instead, it's more likely to go the other way. Even less accountability, more fluff quotes. 

Exactly.

And I might add that I think some people here have lost sight that this is sports after all..it's a game. The players and coaches don't need to be grilled about every aspect of that game because this (baseball) is nothing more than entertainment. 

If fans hate the players and coaches and don't like the decisions made or the play on the field, then they have a choice not to watch. Mike Scioscia or any other coach or manager only owes the fan a night of entertainment because at the end of the day it's not the fans signature on their paycheck.

2 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I think there needs to be articles coming out every day saying how much Pujols sucks.  It seems to light a fire in him.  That is a new requirement for you @Jeff Fletcher.  Daily anti-Pujols articles so he gets mad and starts doing better daily.  ;)

Actually, he was pretty annoyed with me in Seattle. And then I think he had 3 hits.

• 4 weeks later...