• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols is the worst player in baseball (technically)

krAbs

Just now, fan_since79 said:

He'll be going into the Hall as a Cardinal and everyone will be talking about his great seasons in St. Louis.

His Angels career will be an afterthought. A $250 million afterthought.

Good thing it isn't our money.  

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Funny, reading this I think I kind of realized that our issue with the Pujols situation comes down to the team being run too much like a traditional business. Albert is in the public eye and therefore a major target of our criticism in ways traditional employees or suppliers are not.

Interestingly enough though, Im sure you have encountered a customer or two who is hell bent on having one individual held accountable for whatever issue they may have. I generally find these people abhorrent, so perhaps I should take a look in the mirror in this situation. However the Angels plan on dealing with the situation, I don't think that the status quo is healthy for the franchise. Knowledge of poor job performance, and putting the quality of the product second to things that don't mean anything to the customer will ultimately cost the organization customers.

Of course I have encountered customers that think it is one person's fault and those people tell me they want that person fired.  I politely tell them that that probably isn't the way we are going to handle the situation.  

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Well, it kinda is, when you factor in the jacked up ticket and concession prices needed to pay him, and others.

At least Arte kept the cup of draft beer at $4.50.

Nah, it isn't our money.  We have total control over whether or not we spend money on this product.  If you want to pretend you pay his salary because you have FoxSportsWest, go for it.  You are just trying to be a victim.  It is silly.  Who the hell pays extra for FoxSportsWest.  I am nearly positive it comes with basic cable.  If the only reason you have cable is to watch the Angels, that sucks.  I didn't even feel it was my money when I had season seats all those years.  It is Arte's money and to think the prices would be different without Albert is stupid.  I highly doubt there is a huge difference between going to an Angel game and going to a Padre game.  

people are being pretty f'ing ridiculous thinking a local beat writer is supposed to argue with the manager for our benefit, he's gotta walk a pretty fine line between getting newsworthy info and losing access because he's pissing off those inside the angel's organization.  do you think it would be appropriate for alex curry to stick a mic in albert's face after he goes 0-4 with 2 GIDP's and 2 popups and ask him if he's going to retire at the end of the year if he continues to stink?

1 minute ago, well_red said:

people are being pretty f'ing ridiculous thinking a local beat writer is supposed to argue with the manager for our benefit, he's gotta walk a pretty fine line between getting newsworthy info and losing access because he's pissing off those inside the angel's organization.  do you think it would be appropriate for alex curry to stick a mic in albert's face after he goes 0-4 with 2 GIDP's and 2 popups and ask him if he's going to retire at the end of the year if he continues to stink?

The funny thing is, Scioscia already feels like I argue with him all the time. 

5 minutes ago, well_red said:

Oh I'd like to hear you tell me you wouldn't want to see that. I'd actually keep the post game on if I thought it might happen.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Hey @Jeff Fletcher, do you think players around the league that are soon to be free agents look at how organizations treat situations, such as the Albert situation when deciding to sign or not sign with a team?  I know it felt like the team took some flack around the league from how Arte handled the Hamilton situation.  Obviously money is the biggest reason, but would something like this be a factor?  

Not really. The main factor for any FA is money. After that its stuff like opportunity to play, chance to win, proximity to home/family/etc. 

I don't think anyone is thinking "After they guarantee me $125 million, if i totally suck, how will they treat me?"

Just now, AngelsFaninGA said:

In summary, Pujols sucks ass and his career is done. Scioscia will continue batting him third for the next 4 years unless by some miracle Pujols displays a shred of dignity and retires, which likely won't happen. There's nothing that will change Scioscia's mind so we'll just keep bitching about it incessantly.

In summary people will post about it 150 times a day per thread.  

44 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It sounds like what you really, ultimately, want is someone to argue with Mike Scioscia on your behalf. 

That's basically it, right?

No.  I just want the whole "let's get our three soft quotes for the story" culture to die because literally nobody gets anything out if that.  Nobody.  I think it is Polaroid making cameras telling themselves their market for their product was there yesterday so it will be there tomorrow.

The product needs to change.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

No.  I just want the whole "let's get our three soft quotes for the story" culture to die because literally nobody gets anything out if that.  Nobody.  I think it is Polaroid making cameras telling themselves their market for their product was there yesterday so it will be there tomorrow.

You want someone to risk their job for your entertainment

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

You want someone to risk their job for your entertainment

No.  I am saying very clearly I think those jobs, done as they are done now, will be at risk if nothing changes.  The existence of those jobs relies upon people having an appetite for what it produces.  Who is paying attention now to newspaper writers quotes and little cutesy clips of softball questions post game when they say literally nothing?

Look it's just my opinion on the viability of the "product" as it is today.  I think the digital information, instant gratification younger culture is going to want something different and my theory says they will want more meat.

None of what I have said should be taken as me expecting anyone to throw a fit a work and get fired.  The market will work itself out. I'm saying it will change.

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Well, you're not satisfied with the answers. I don't provide the answers. Only the questions.

If I just keep pounding on a player/manager/GM because he gave me an answer that isn't satisfactory, that is the arguing I'm referring to. 

And I don't think the say-nothing quotes are really the ultimate product. They are one of the pieces of it. The real value in the product is in finding news and stories you wouldn't know otherwise. That doesn't happen every day but you have to be there every day (and produce something) in order for it to happen.

Along the way there is also a lot of little news that's produced. Not Pulitzer stuff,  but things that you'd otherwise never know.

5 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Sure sounds like you are telling Jeff he isn't doing a good job, or at best, saying you would do better

Im not going to get baited into arguing with you against what you think it sounds like.  My literal words are there and I have said explicitly my opinion has to do witj the change in demand for info, not a job performance review.  Either you have the intelligence and mental discipline to take words for their explicitly expressed meanings or you dont.