• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Creative and aggressive trade target: Anthony Rendon

Nats dominate offensively leading the NL in OPS by a wide margin.

They are also basically dead last in the NL in reliever strikeouts, ERA and WHIP.

That team has got to be completely paranoid that they will get knocked out of the postseason with that brutally bad bullpen.  How can they possibly not address it?

The Angels should aggressively pursue Rendon and solve the Nats reliever problem.  Give them what they want and include Escobar to replace Rendon.

The Nats drastically improve their chances in the postseason now and they will not miss Rendon's bat.

The Angels get a piece to build around.

Rendon completely changes this teams level of talent in the offensive lineup going into 2018.

My personal opinion is trading high performing bullpen arms to contenders is a good play since bullpen performance is so volatile year to year.  I think you can mine for replacement bullpen arms over time when you have time like the Angels do.  Teams in contention don't have time so they will pay.

This is wishful thinking for sure, I get that.  But as a fan hoping for stuff like this is part of the fun.

Rendon is a beast. . .he can play 2B or 3B giving the Angels all kinds of options going forward.

The Nationals pitching staff is a mess. You have Sherzer, Gonzalez and Strasberg, Albers in relief and the rest is pretty much crap. About the only way the are first in their division is bacause it's as bad as their relief corps. They will get slaughtered in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, AngelArcher said:

Outside of the first half of this season, he's been a solid to good player. Who knows if he'll be able to sustain playing at a star level. Plus the Nats have to consider how much it'll take to re-sign him. Free agent at 30yo in 2020. 

2020 is plenty far away.

So they're going to trade him for guys like Escobar and Norris who are only under contract to the end of this year? 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

2020 is plenty far away.

So they're going to trade him for guys like Escobar and Norris who are only under contract to the end of this year? 

Bedrosian would be the main piece and it's my opinion it would get conversations started, not what it would actually take. Maybe with Middleton plus a prospect added. 

The reality is if, at the expense of Rendon, the Nats added Bedrosian and Parker to their bullpen (with Escobar as backfill at 3B), their odds of winning a ring goes up dramatically.

Do we all think the Nats can get that big of a boost to their bullpen without giving up something of high value?

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

The Nats aren't trading a guy hitting over .300 with 16 HRs and an OPS of .960 for our average players. 

In isolation your point is valid, except they literally don't need Rendon as much as they need lights out relievers.  The will lose with Rendon.  They very well could be in a champagne shower with arms.

47 minutes ago, ksangel said:

The only player that would get the Nats attention regarding trading Rendon is Trout...and that isn't happening from the Angels side.

I think you are wrong.  The Nats GM would be a fool of the highest order to pursue what they don't need (more offense) and neglect an opportunity to trade from massive surplus (all their potent bats) to solve such an obvious problem of their major league roster being so flawed for the postseason.

Again I don't claim this to be a likely deal with the Angels, even though I would love it, but I do claim that GM better have some nuts to make a move in bold letters to OVERsolve that bullpen.

Their window is now.

35 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

In isolation your point is valid, except they literally don't need Rendon as much as they need lights out relievers.  The will lose with Rendon.  They very well could be in a champagne shower with arms.

You can't possibly know that they will lose with Rendon on the team. 

They seem to be winning quite a bit with him. 

the Nats can get the pen help they need without trading Rendon.  If they're going for it, they will just trade Robles or Soto and get a kick ass reliever from someone else.  Then their pen problems will be solved and they'd still have Rondon.  

They can get Iglesias from CIN and make a lesser trade with us to get Norris and/or Hernandez.  

Rendon was already a 4-6 WAR player and he's having a breakout season.  

He's also only got 2 more years of club control after this one.  

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

You can't possibly know that they will lose with Rendon on the team. 

They seem to be winning quite a bit with him. 

It's not a wild assumption.  The common theory in today's game is you need a lights out bullpen to really have a proper shot at winning it.

I just cannot imagine the Nats GM will not at least listen to any proposal that solves their bullpen problem.

Of course (and I dont even understand why obvious things like this must be explicitly expressed in these discussions) the Nats could do nothing to the pen and somehow still win.  But that is obvious and not the point.

The point is a GM is staring at his roster and it is his job to make moves to increase their chances, especially when they have such an obvious win now window and even more especially when they have a surplus in one area available to fix an obvious vulnerability in another area.

The Nats don't want to trade Rendon.  Duh.  But more than that, I bet they want to win a WS.  And that GM does not want something so predictable to happen that anybody can see. . .getting beat in the postseason because of having a TERRIBLE (not just vulnerable, but literally TERRIBLE) bullpen.

That's all.  Fun trade target.  I would gladly overpay to get a player like that.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the Nats can get the pen help they need without trading Rendon.  If they're going for it, they will just trade Robles or Soto and get a kick ass reliever from someone else.  Then their pen problems will be solved and they'd still have Rondon.  

They can get Iglesias from CIN and make a lesser trade with us to get Norris and/or Hernandez.  

Rendon was already a 4-6 WAR player and he's having a breakout season.  

He's also only got 2 more years of club control after this one.  

Yes they could do that.  But it is also a fair argument that trading away a current bat that is (again arguably) surplus to your needs today and keeping your top prospects to stay highly competitive in years to come is a clear thinking move.

But you are correct.  They could do that.